Mass Effect PC

lousiest

I have beaten it 2 1/2 times on one character and have about 500 saves. I get really paranoid when it comes to saving in games.

500?! Are you kidding? Your gameplay must be like this:

step step step

*save*

step step step

*save*

At least you're guaranteed to not have to start all over if you mess something up.

I have beaten it 2 1/2 times on one character and have about 500 saves. I get really paranoid when it comes to saving in games.

500?! Are you kidding? Your gameplay must be like this:

step step step

*save*

step step step

*save*

At least you're guaranteed to not have to start all over if you mess something up.

It is. :)

• 3 weeks later...

It is supposed to be all that, but I still have over 100 oames I own but still haven't played like like Knights. Guess it will just have to wait, like Dark said, once it hits the 15-20 dollar mark. Still it will be a few years till I get to play it lol.

It is supposed to be all that, but I still have over 100 oames I own but still haven't played like like Knights. Guess it will just have to wait, like Dark said, once it hits the 15-20 dollar mark. Still it will be a few years till I get to play it lol.

Oooo, can I please have one of your oames? By knights, do you mean kotor? I loved those 2 games :D

Anyway, it's cheap right now and I have a gift certificate I have to use by the end of april for $20, so I may as well. That is, if I can't find a fun/easy racing game. That's what I miss about the consoles.

I love love love Mass Effect. I have played through it 3 times at around 24 hours per attempt. I am still planning on at least one more playthrough on the hardest difficulty setting to round out my experience, and I also plan on getting the DLC "Bring Down the Sky" and catching that as well.

I honestly could see myself going through it again a couple of years down the road. Very good story and immersing gameplay.

The 360 version had a few graphical bugs (texture pop-in being the biggest one), although once the textures were all loaded it looked gorgeous.

If you missed it on the 360, I highly recommend you check it out when it is available for PC. I'm not an RPGer by nature, but this one was great.

Oooo, can I please have one of your oames? By knights, do you mean kotor? I loved those 2 games :D

Anyway, it's cheap right now and I have a gift certificate I have to use by the end of april for $20, so I may as well. That is, if I can't find a fun/easy racing game. That's what I miss about the consoles.

Just got a box of 20 oames in today, but your not getting any of them! Ok well, theres a original big box copy of the Sims and since I have a better copy I'll let you have that one. :prplwacko: Yup I'm talking about KOTOR, I've had it a while but still havent played it. Along with that box that arrived today is AoE III so I think I will start playing that tonight, I need to get some RTS on.

• 2 months later...

...I've been living and breathing this game on the PC in my free time for the past... ...well, since it was released.

There are some issues running it - I've worked around just about every single one on my PC... ...but for people who want it, you might have to get your hands a little dirty by going into the Program Files folder (*GASP*).

The combat is incredibly different on the PC. Even if you're a biotic, you can have completely run&gun gameplay, thanks to the hotkeys.

You can give each teammate individual orders. The spacebar is the pause/command button, and is totally natural, seeing as there is no jump button. ...I think I might have rebound two single keys (going back to the Normandy from the Mako, and the equipment screen). Mind you, if I actually used the Codex at all, I'd probably rebind that, too......

It needs a patch, which is coming, along with the PC version of Bringing Down the Sky.

(edited)

Mass Effect 2 is only a timed exclusive to the 360 - word on the street is they are already planning to bring it to PC a short time after it is released for the console.

No concern for me though since I have the first on 360 and will get the second for 360 as well :)

What's up with the DRM? I have no idea what they did with it - never seen the PC version.

In my opinion, get ready for a number of PC-exclusive developers to start releasing for consoles in addition the PCs. Crytek is already on record stating that they are strongly considering doing this depending on how Crysis Warhead goes.

Edited by boilersax

The SecuRom DRM that they had planned to use on Mass Effect and Spore was this:

When you buy your game and input your CD key, it goes online and validates and then you can play your game.

The CD key needs to renew every 10 days. It will try to renew after the 5th day, silently, in the background, when you launch your game.

...if after 10 days it does not establish an internet connection, it will refuse to let you play... ...your single-player game...

The other DRM was just that you can only have the game installed on three separate hardware configurations. After the third configuration, you need to call customer support and activate it that way - much like XP or Vista.

After a huge outcry, just hours after it was announced, EA canned the first kind of DRM... ...at least for now...

Blame EA and Sony (owner of SecuROM) for being ridiculously restrictive.

...requiring internet to play single-player games is ridiculous. Activation, sure, that's fine... ...but having an always-on connection, to play your single-player games...

...well, there were a lot of military personnel, and a lot of broke students who were a little miffed.

DRM that requires an internet connection is ridiculous. So what happens a few years down the road when support drops? You game is useless. Everytime I install a game and my firewall pops up it set me on flames. It took me a half an hour to install Bioshock the other day, I didn't realize it was equired and was denying it net access. Wonder if that game will be playable in 10 years.

On the other have I installed the guilty pleasure that is Puzzle Quest a few days after Bio;shock. Absolutely no DRM at all, not even the disk is required to play once installed. It was only $20 and I've already put 5x as many hours in then Bioshock.

Yeah. Well, actually, 2k is removing the DRM from BioShock, now... It's been out a year, and they've decided that it was enough for them. That un-patch should be coming out in short order.

I'll never really have to deal with it, one way or another, because I got it on Steam. I had to deal with figuring out how to get it to run on my new PC... ...because it was having issues with my onboard sound (had an Audigy 2 in my old one, but didn't have the cash to put out for a new card, yet), and I was willing to play it soundless, but without the sound, I couldn't get out of the bathysphere, because the people at the start of the game wouldn't move...

EA backed down on releasing the SecuROM 10-day activation. Most games require a one-time online connection... ...dating back as far as, say DooM3/Quake4. I've come to expect it.

The limited installs sucks, but honestly, it won't effect me until long after EA decides that it's made all it's going to make off of it, and removes the limit... ...just like the days when patches removed key-checks, and CD-checks (like Quake 3/Unreal Tournament, and the latest Diablo 2 patch).

As it stands, you're allowed to install/uninstall the game as many times as you want on the same system. It's a hash-check verification, taken from hardware samples. Apparently, the videocard isn't supposed to be included in that hash - so even if you upgrade the card in your system, you should still be good.

What does upset me a little is that it doesn't tell you when it's activating. It's completely invisible.

So if you activate, format, change hardware, put it on a new system... ......you aren't going to know your activations are up, until you try installing it again, and it says they're up.

I have the same pet peeve with WindowsXP.

...I've had the same copy on the same system for... ...well, many, many years. I end up formatting the family PC two or three times a year... ...which means calling to reactivate the same copy on the same PC, two or three times a year...

I would never play this on PC...it's a console game, it's like playing Oblivion on PC or Bioshock. Face it, some games are best for PC (CSS, WoW/AoC, any RTS) and some are best for console (like ME, KOTOR, JRPGS and GTA).

Of course that's just my opinion. Would have never played MassEffect if it was PC only.

I totally like how it was modified for the PC. There are still some things that need to change - like the inventory system... ...it takes way too long to dig through stuff.

But the combat feels incredibly different, compared to the 360 (well, unless you only played as a soldier, and you never used any abilities... ...in that case, that style of gameplay hasn't really changed)

I really don't care of more companies start releasing games for consoles like Crytek as long as

a) they release it on PC at the same time

B) the PC version is just as good as it would be if it was a PC exclusive

I personally don't care what system I play rpgs on, especially ones like Mass Effect where you can pause to set up your strategy in a battle, and like in KoTOR that uses the D20 system. I have a hard enough time paying for PC upgrades so unless someone gave me a 360 for free I'll keep buying games on my PC.