Career advice

ConGregation

Recently I was laid off. I worked in a 'trailer factory' building mobile homes. For 14 years it has be a good place to make a living. But obviously it came to an end. The entire industry is way down and I don't really expect it to ever really come back. Right now the RV industry is still going strong in this area. A guy can make a good living working there. These jobs are very physically demanding jobs and I am getting older (38).

So I thought it might be a good time to look for a new career.

After looking through what my local community college offers, I have some questions. They offer a "Computer Information System Certificate". It is a two year certificate. But from what I can gather this is a rather bogus thing. The lady at the Workforce office said that she has a guy in that program and that jobs available to him paid 10 to 12 dollars an hour to start. To me that is nothing close to acceptable. Of course I am not a total newb when it comes to computers so going in that direction isn't all bad.

The other option I am looking at is becoming a Nurse. My wife is in that process right now. It is basically one year of pre- reqs and then one more year for an LPN and then another year for an RN. A RN supposedly makes 40,000 a year which is comparable to what I made or could make in a 'trailer factory'. Not that nursing appeals to me but it seems like a very viable option to only put three years in and have a decent wage. Plus the fact that there is a demand for nurses AND that I could get a job in this area which is important. Plus there are a lot of different avenues to take as a nurse.

Any advice?

If you care about people, yeah I'd say go for it! I'm a young guy, so I can't really give you my own life experience when it comes to careers, but if you're in the people business being a nurse would be a great thing I think.

(edited)
If you care about people, yeah I'd say go for it! I'm a young guy, so I can't really give you my own life experience when it comes to careers, but if you're in the people business being a nurse would be a great thing I think.

Um. I do care about people and I like to be a help to people. But I don't think it would be my forte or fulfill me in some great way. Now I may be wrong about that. My wife on the other hand is a natural nurterer. I think she will be an awesome nurse. I guess I am looking more at the money than anything. I put up with the absolute worst working conditions I know of (except for maybe a coal miner) all in the name to make money. I'm sure I could be a nurse to make money.

I read a book by Max Lucado about how as a christian I need to find what I was made for. The thing that I have a natural talent for and that offers fulfillment to my life. And then do it to honor and glorify God. I agree but at this stage of my life I'm willing to settle for cash. There are other areas of my life that give me GREAT fulfillment and that is enough for me.

Edited by ConGregation

My wife is a nurse and she loves and hates the job. She loves the interaction with the patients (she's a pediatric nurse) but she has a real hard time with the majority of the parents. She has a BSRN but I'm not 100% sure it pays more than the 3 year RN degree. She is actually going back to get her Masters as a Nurse Practitioner starting this summer. She wants to go the route of teaching for several reasons.

The first and foremost, the hours/workdays suck. If you can get into an office environment they aren't as bad and for the most part many of the problems that my wife has with her schedule don't pertain to working in a Dr. Office. However, when you hear shortage of nursing, its primarily in the hospitals. And every hospital my wife has worked in has been pretty much the same (4 to date). As a new nurse you WILL work night shift. 7PM to 7AM. Most places do pay you an hourly premium but it varies ($2 to $4 an hour on top of wage depending on which hospital she has worked in). You will more than likely work 12 hours shifts and be required to work a weekend rotation. At Akron Children's my wife is require to work every other weekend. The biggist thing she hates is that we have two young kids. Yes, she only has to work 3 shifts per week for full time status, but she's gone every other weekend and the days after she works are pretty much useless because she sleeps those days. As the kids get older its not hard to see you could/will miss their extra curicular activities due to having to go to work at 7PM.

That being said, turnover is crazy in hospitals too. I think it took my wife 2.5 years in Denver to get from the newest nurse to the nurse with seniority on the night shift. And, seniority starts over when you switch hospitals. Its not based on how long you've been a nurse, its based on how long you've been at that hospital. Which basically means the senior nurse on the night shift gets first offer on the newest day shift job. We've been in Ohio for two years now and she's no where near seniority. So this will depend on which hospital you go to more or less.

Based mostly on the night shift and kid thing, my wife has decided she wants to teach. She can actually teach Associates level classes with a BSRN but needs her Master's to be able to teach at the Bachelor's level. Plus, you are off when the kids are off, you get summers off, etc.

I rambled there, went back and stuck things in here and there so it may not flow well. My wife has been a nurse for almost 10 years now Rev....I'm sure she'd be willing to answer any questions you might have. PM me and I can get you her e-mail if you like.

(edited)

Being a nurse is very tough... I ran a medical office (Family practice, dentistry, podiatry and physical therapy) and nurses have it tough. Remember that this is a full time customer service job. You render services and you hear complaints right there and then. Sick people are not fun to be around and frankly, I don't blame them for being cranky. Now, at a hospital level, depending which department you're in, things can get very hectic. My sister in law is an RN at a local hospital taking care of post operation patients and it requires a lot of patience. Taking care of wound dressing, cleaning after their wastes, being on call for annoying little things. Sure it's their job, but like I said... It's not easy.

She's going for her masters to be a nurse practitioner like bubblegum's mrs. What he said is very true about turnover.

So, if you're not a people (cranky) person, don't do it.

On that note... How about a teacher?

Edited by shoot

imo, look at the career move outside of the two options you listed. WHAT DO YOU WANT TO DO BECAUSE YOU WOULD ENJOY DOING IT? answer that question, then find the way to make money doing it.

nursing school isn't cheap, and if you're not into it, that's a big investment for a job you might bounce out of. the job market isn't as bad as people want you to believe. it's over saturated with people who are throwing resumes at the wall to see what will stick, but it's deprived of passionate people who will go after what they want to no end. those are the types of people companies (

(edited)

I feel for ya Cong. It's gotta be tough going through a transition like this after you've figured you were good and settled for life. All I can tell you is do some more praying about it. Finding something you like/enjoy that doesn't quite make as much money is much better than going through the motions 40/hr a week for a little extra compensation. It's a tough decision to make and I don't envy you, but I'd rather do something I enjoy. God will provide for your needs man.

Edited by dwEEziL

(edited)

The job market sucks now. It would be a good time to get that 2 year Nurse certification if that's what you want to do. I graduated with BA in Marketing during Dec and still don't have a job... Then again I've been kind of picky refusing any sales jobs offered because I'd much rather get into the advertising industy.

Edited by YoMamma

The job market sucks now. It would be a good time to get that 2 year Nurse certification if that's what you want to do. I graduated with BA in Marketing during Dec and still don't have a job... Then again I've been kind of picky refusing any sales jobs offered because I'd much rather get into the advertising industy.

funny for you to say that because a friend of mine just graduated same time as you with same kind of degree. he also is haven't problems finding a job.

Thanks for the replies.

I guess I really don't think dealing with the problems will be that bad. I am probably naive. I have gone into nursing homes a lot. I have held church services in several different homes for over 15 years. Of course the nurses are always busy and there are very nasty parts of the job.

I guess I look at what I just did for the last 14 years and feel that I could face anything.

As far as doing something that I would really enjoy.... I have thought about that a lot. I really can't think of something that really applies. I guess I am too lazy of a person. Sure I wouldn't mind being a great musical artist (no talent) or a successful comedian or something with talent but at my age I look at the numbers. I know only how to work.

I will pray about it, Dweezil.