hard drives

NOFX

I bought a WD500AAKS (wd 500 gb drive) and it basically feels as fast as my 2x250gb sata2 drives in raid 0. I'd buy another one if I needed it in a heartbeat.

I'm using one of those as my main storage drive (and page file) and can't complain. Although make sure you have a newer motherboard...my Asus KT8 while it supports SATAII doesn't support it full speed (300Gb/s) and I had some serious driver issues with it (all a testament as to why you don't buy Asus mobos).

Heck at $99 it's a steal ($94.99 at newegg)

(edited)
I bought a WD500AAKS (wd 500 gb drive) and it basically feels as fast as my 2x250gb sata2 drives in raid 0. I'd buy another one if I needed it in a heartbeat.

I'm using one of those as my main storage drive (and page file) and can't complain. Although make sure you have a newer motherboard...my Asus KT8 while it supports SATAII doesn't support it full speed (300Gb/s) and I had some serious driver issues with it (all a testament as to why you don't buy Asus mobos).

Heck at $99 it's a steal ($94.99 at newegg)

:D Got mine for $84.99 CAD from ncix.com, no PST and cheap shipping :)

We Canadians rock.

I did have to install a driver to get XP to recognize it as a drive, but after that it's been a wonderful drive.

Edited by DarkArchon

I'm using one of these drives too and happy with it. Newegg had them for $99 free ship last week I think. The 500gb drive might be a better deal if you don't need that extra room like me. My last drive (2 months ago) was 250gb and I dont think it ever got half full.

the new 640gb drives look nice. a raptor is still the best if you don't need the space.

this is unrelated but one thing i saw the other day guys is someone had a ssd drive as pagefile. makes awesome sense but they're very expensive and still mostly unproven.

the new 640gb drives look nice. a raptor is still the best if you don't need the space.

this is unrelated but one thing i saw the other day guys is someone had a ssd drive as pagefile. makes awesome sense but they're very expensive and still mostly unproven.

They're coming along quite nicely. While each section (byte?) on an SSD can only be written to a certain number of times (usually around 100,000) a special writing method spreads data across the whole "surface" (plane? array?) of the drive. Supposedly with this method of writing to flash based drives, their expected life cycle is pushed well beyond that of a spinning drive, something I know was a big problem with SSD when we first saw them pop up last year.

Now with Intel and STMicroelectronics making NOR flash we should hopefully see them (NAND and NOR) in more and more devices (like Zunes...the only thing I could think of) which will hopefully speed the process of mass producing SSDs for the consumer market.

If you need more than 64gb on your SSD, your wait is over as a new 256gb SSD was just announced. Cujo, pick me up one will you?

(edited)
Or you could just use Linux and not have a pagefile. :shrug03:

Doesn't your swap partition have the same functionality as a page file? Well, I take that back. Linux will not use your swap unless you run out of RAM. I know windows hits the page file when I have 1.5 gigs free...

In the case of linux, I would probably throw my swap partition on an ssd.

Edited by NOFX

(edited)

The only time my swap gets used on Linux is when the mem is maxed out or when a particularly crappily coded app is in use. Other than that, I have heard of many people who don't use one at all. Having started life in the Windows Camp, I still tend to configure a swap just in case it's needed.

Edited by dwEEziL

lol...hating on pagefiles?I was under the impression low-priority data (mostly Windows stuff like fonts and crap) is usually found in the pagefile to free your RAM for actual applications or in the event you run over your physical limit?Can you set specific applications to load into the page file rather than into RAM?

i agree that i hate the idea of pagefile. for some reason windows requires it. i tried getting rid of it back in the xp days and it just isn't possible.
:unsure: wha? yes it is. just set it to none. don't go over your ram limit :shrug03:

Why does everyone hate pagefiles? I don't think it matters now a days with our massive harddrives. Oh noes my 500 gig drive is being robbed of 2 gigs, the humanity! In reality I think it has something to do with stability of the OS so that when a proggy crashes it doesn't bring down the whole system.