Handgun advice

Laz.e.rus

I may be opening a flame war can of worms but...

I'm looking to pick up a semi auto soon and wanted to get input from you gun-gurus out there.

I'm looking at something for fun, but also largish calibre @home.

I like the p220 and p226's .. .40 and .45, but they are a little out of my price range. I'd like to stay under $300.

Used guns of course.

There are a few upcoming gun shows in the state this month, including this weekend, so Im looking to get that advice.

Not really interested in .32 or 9mm, 9x18 etc., but maybe for a cheap price.

MAYBE a .38, but already have a little 38Sp Bulldog.

I guess this also means that if any of you gun-stocking peeps are looking to "unload" one at a good price, I'd be interested.

hehehhe..."unload"...get it? :shrug03:

PM me if you have one you wanna sell. Dont forget to check on whether or not you can mail it from your state and all that too. I can receive here in washington.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good lord you remember that!?!??!?! hehehehhe

One good thing about my eventual move back to michigan and my being stuck playing bots right now. Im getting all kinds of AWP practice I never got before ( kinda pointless with 110 ping before). So by the time I get back to MI and have a real ping, I wont suck nearly as bad with it. :)

I like the p220 and p226's ..

.. and p90's

noob

wish i could post up info that will help you, but i'm looking at the samething! practice gun, but prolly end up with a small caliber pistol (bullets cost $, just like in CS:S)

(edited)

gunbroker.com

I would also check your local pawn shops.

As far as what I like, I would suggest a S&W M&P .40 you also can't go wrong with a glock. Maybe you should try going to the local range, see if they rent weapons and try out a bunch of different weapons and see what fits you best. Is this for home only or are you looking to get a CCW?

PM me if you have one you wanna sell. Dont forget to check on whether or not you can mail it from your state and all that too. I can receive here in washington.

this would be ILLEGAL. If someone on this board was to sell you a weapon it would need to be shipped from someone with a FFL license and received by someone with a FFL license. Most gun stores will be able to assist you in the process and it usually costs between 15-45 to get it done.

Edited by Mossad

Probably home only, but will probably change after going to Mich. CCW would keep me out of any "oops" with the tighter laws there.

I looked at a little FEG FA63 9x18 for the ccw dept, but its not for me.

Theres only one pawn shop around here, and because of that you can imagine the prices.

p220 .40 599

p226 .45 599

Taurus something or other 605

FEG FA63... $250!!!!!! Im seeing those on the net for like 99-150

And a bunch of crap other than that.

this would be ILLEGAL. If someone on this board was to sell you a weapon it would need to be shipped from someone with a FFL license and received by someone with a FFL license. Most gun stores will be able to assist you in the process and it usually costs between 15-45 to get it done.

Thanks Mossad. I was under the impression that it was ok except in states like California.

real men use bats.

panzy.

K. We'll trade shots. 15 feet apart...you go first :)

But seriously, where I live, you DONT go up in the hills without one. I got verbally smacked around for that early on out here...

between rattlers, cougars, bears, wolves, coyotes, or a "tinkled" off moose....you get the idea. And....They're fun!!!

The gun laws here are ...eh... pretty lax to say the least. At least the enforcement of them. Basically dont bring em into bars, court, or a school. Thats about it from what Ive been able to glean.

yes, but it was in black and white. with funny mustaches. and little cars. and lots of people tripping. and scratchy film.

wait.... 1284 hours of Guild Wars!?! YOU sir are no longer allowed to have an opinion in the real world! ( thats what you see if you turn your head to either side).

and where can i redeem this bat contest? are you going to ragfest?

LoL...I miss you!!

He moved up an hour in between posts...wow.

We'd like to go to FF, but it depends on if we move to Mi in June, or Sept. For obvious reasons.

If so, We'll likely be one of those ticket-at-the door types.

Go for a mid sized glock, in .40 or .45...

I have no idea how you arrived at $300, but you will not find a semi-auto worth anything in a decent caliber for that amount of money.

Better to wait till you have the $, then buy quality.

I've been shooting my .40 glock 23 for 12 years, no probs, ever.

H&K (more $) and Ruger are making some really good semi-autos now.

You want pretty and really good aim, go for springfield armory, ParaOrdinance, or Kimber, but you are looking at a top end of $1000 for some of those.

You want home defense, then buy 12 gauge pump from remington, mossberg, and the like, you can find some of those for $300.

You shoot a bear you'd better get ready to climb a tree. If you don't put it down on the first shot or two, you be dinner. Many animals run away...but I've heard first hand stories about bears that locate you from the shot and come get some.

I'm not a huge fan of glocks, I have shot a few and I just don't like the feel. I have a Beretta 90-two (not to be confused with the 92, which is a different gun) in .40 Cal. I know some people will hate on Beretta, but I have bigger hands and this gun just fits me right. I have put 1000s of rounds through it, and never had an issue. It's not at all a CC weapon at all though if that is what you are looking for.

If you want a good .45 the Ruger p90 is fairly cheap for the most part if you can find one and they are very nice if you don't have small hands. The big selling point for the Ruger P series is that they are dependable and on the low side in pricing.

I had a Ruger p89 9mm and it was the best 9mm I have owned. I have large hands so I'm not a fan of the berettas or glocks. I had a Glock 19 9mm and it rattled with a full mag and was not as accurate as my Ruger.

I may be opening a flame war can of worms but...

I'm looking to pick up a semi auto soon and wanted to get input from you gun-gurus out there.

I've used a Glock mdl 17 (9 mm) in law enforcement for almost 20 yrs. As a good friend who was a police rangemaster used to tell me, it's about shot placement over caliber size. 1000s of rounds, hardly ever clean it and it has been flawless. Excpet for the Wolf ammo I bought to practice for my CCW when I retired. Went back to UMC ammo and no problems. Course I still have my service ammo hollow points for home defense. What ever you feel you can handle. But I am about to buy a S&W MP 40 or 45 cal cuz I want one of those guns. I am a "buy American" kinda guy when I buy guns.

My two sons are police officers and both carry Glocks. One 40 cal (issued) and one is carrying a 45 (personal purchased). They both swear by their Glocks as service weapons. Neither have had a malfunction. Just a difference of opinion about the caliber.

Hope you find a good deal.

If you want a good .45 the Ruger p90 is fairly cheap for the most part if you can find one and they are very nice if you don't have small hands. The big selling point for the Ruger P series is that they are dependable and on the low side in pricing.

I had a Ruger p89 9mm and it was the best 9mm I have owned. I have large hands so I'm not a fan of the berettas or glocks. I had a Glock 19 9mm and it rattled with a full mag and was not as accurate as my Ruger.

Sorry you didn't like the Glock. I was told about a grip wrap for my Glock 17 that had ridges for my fingers. Shot several perfect scores at the police range after I put it on. Haven't had a chance to shoot the Ruger. Next time I go to the gun club I will see if I can rent one before I but the S&W.

I like your tag line. My son-in-law just back from Kirkuk (Air Force) and he was involved in ground ops so we were very nervous for him. A very close nephew in the Marines is going to Iraq now. You can bet he is in our prayers every day.

God bless you and all your family in the military.

Edited by Uther Pendragon

But I am about to buy a S&W MP 40 or 45

good choice. I carry the M&P 9c for my daily carry weapon. I'm looking at getting the 45c which was just debuted at the SHOT show and I've heard nothing but good things. If I were you I would hurry on the purchase of the M&P, because the $50 rebate + 2 free mags is about to end. It ends up being a pretty damn good deal considering that M&P mags are $40 each.

From what I read earlier regarding the purpose of the hand gun being hiking in the mountains and dealing with cougars, bears ect.. I would recommend getting a 44 or 357 mag revolver. I'm currently a ccw carrier and carry a p220, but that wouldn't even phase a bear, not enough foot pounds. 44 mag would be the best way to go.

You want home defense, then buy 12 gauge pump from remington, mossberg, and the like, you can find some of those for $300.

Agreed.

I've told my wife no need to aim, just point in the general direction and shoot. :D

Well...that's not entirely true..there is quite a bit of gray area there. Bottom line, if you know and trust the person, its no big deal, depending on the state of course. If you have to register handguns in your state, then I wouldnt do that, but if you dont, then it really isnt any different than buying from a guy that is standing right in front of you, of course dealers are living under different rules.

I would put my personal recommendation along with everyone else that suggested the S&W M&P...great guns and very reasonable price for what you are getting. Best "bang" for the buck.....heh eh..heh.