Windows XP question

Bewildered

Trying to get my machine to use the DVORAK keyboard layout. What I did (which follows), however, only works while I'm logged in, e.g. I still have to type my password in QWERTY. Its like, I only applied it to my own profile, and that profile hasn't been picked yet until I log in. So what do I need to do to change this for the entire machine?

This is a work machine, and I'm logging into a domain.

What I did:

Control Panel / Regional and Language Options / Languages / Details

Added United States-Dvorak. Couldn't figure out how to set Dvorak to be the default so I deleted the standard one.

Well, I thought I had it figured out. You can't copy a profile thats in use. So I created a local user, logged in as that user and set it up how I wanted, then logged out and back in to make sure it was right. Then I logged out, logged back in as my normal user and went to:

System Properties / Advanced / User Profile Settings

and copied the new profile over the default profile.

Then I rebooted expecting it to be fixed and

FAIL

Well, I thought I had it figured out. You can't copy a profile thats in use. So I created a local user, logged in as that user and set it up how I wanted, then logged out and back in to make sure it was right. Then I logged out, logged back in as my normal user and went to:

System Properties / Advanced / User Profile Settings

and copied the new profile over the default profile.

Then I rebooted expecting it to be fixed and

FAIL

Something tells me you can't change the default profile...at least not while it's the current profile in use.

some dude at work uses that.. I mean if you have been using qwerty your whole life is there really any benefit of learning how to type on a different layout at this point??

some dude at work uses that.. I mean if you have been using qwerty your whole life is there really any benefit of learning how to type on a different layout at this point??

It took me a few days to get close to normal speed, and a few months to perfect. I'd never go back .... QWERTY is the devil. I just did the sort of key memory exercises you'd expect to have to do to learn it. Didn't even use a typing tutor program.

aoaoaoaoaoao asasasasasasasas dog dog dog dog dog dog cat cat cat cat cat cat

m2 m2 m2 m2 m2 m2 m2

<3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3 <3

sj sj sj sj sj sj sj sj sj sj sj

you get the picture .... lots of ez repetitive stuff

i never used WSAD i've always used arrows.. since doom days

Mouse 1 = fire

Mouse 2 = Move Forward

Mouse 3 = Reload

Mouse 4 = Quick Switch

left = left strafe

right = right strafe

down = back

up = jump

rCtrl = crouch

rshift = walk

Enter = Secondary

Delete = drop

Home = Primary Wep

Insert = Inv

Etc. all easy no slip no error config.. learn it!

i never used WSAD i've always used arrows.. since doom days

Mouse 1 = fire

Mouse 2 = Move Forward

Mouse 3 = Reload

Mouse 4 = Quick Switch

left = left strafe

right = right strafe

down = back

up = jump

rCtrl = crouch

rshift = walk

Enter = Secondary

Delete = drop

Home = Primary Wep

Insert = Inv

Etc. all easy no slip no error config.. learn it!

used to use arrows until logitech decided to screw up the g15 and not allow multiple key presses with them.

btw, that config is seriously screwy. i could never get used to it.

I use oeu. for directional buttons (equivalent to sdfe on QWERTY)

That gives me an extra button to the left, so my pinky crouches (a button -- a is same on both layouts) and my pinky walks with the shift button.

' and , (equivalent of Q and W) are my voicecomm buttons one for ingame and one for ventrillo. I'm not sure I like that actually, as I'm often confused about which button to press.

P is my use button (equivalent to R on the stupid layout)

M is the same key on both layouts, but I had to change my switch teams key to v to move it away from the b key. Otherwise, I'd find that I'd accidentally switch teams instead of buying. Thats about it really. I don't use the flashlight, but its still the f key, which I can stretch to reach with my index finger (Y key on the bad layout).

On my mouse, left button is shoot, right button is the secondary function, like scope/zoom or silence. I've played with moving that to the left hand, but I don't have a sixth finger to press it! Occasionally, I'll bump my right button when I don't mean to and end up putting my silencer on while I'm gettin my face shot at.

The forward side button (mouse 4?) is to toss away weapons and the other one is to reload. Scroll wheel is set to jump. middle mouse button currently does nothing, but I'd like to set it to throw a flash grenade (if I can find something that does that legally).

Anyway, thats my setup. I think I liked my setup MUCH better when I had a split style kinesis keyboard ... I found my thumb was quite busy (There's a thumb area with about 5 keys it can easily access on that keyboard), but I've learned to make do since switching :)

(edited)

Dont ask how.. just try it lol you probably wont switch back.. if anyone wants I'll put my config up to try.. just exec windex.cfg when you're ingame and it should switch over for ya. then if u no like the go back to exec config.cfg

For the windows impaired.. right click "save target as"

http://pictures.peveley.com/windex.cfg

Edited by Windex

Why would you use the arrow keys? That's just limiting the amount of keys available to you right off the bat (8 on the MS keyboard I have at work compared to the 20+ around WASD). If you think it's so uncool to use WASD then at least use logic and the numpad. At least then you have somewhat the same amount of keys close at hand.

Also this thread needs a picture...I was pretty upset that dvorak are no where near eachother

Dvorak.jpg

how many keys do you need to play? minimizing what you have to do is key.. i never said wasd wasn't good.. just that i never liked it and always used the arrows... either way you dont HAVE to listen or try but just throwing it out there for other people incase they are interested.. calmdown lol