Don't taze me bro!

Playaa

So my girlfriend works in a bad area of St. Louis (and is going to be house-sitting for 6 weeks in a not-so-good area). She really wants to get a handgun but I think she should get a tazer. Was wondering if anyone around here knew anything about them. She'd need something small but it would need to take someone down hard and fast as well as not cost way too much.

opinions?

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if this thread/post still matters, but budk has some great tasers, that I would personally go for. some look like cellphones and stuff like that so they're not obvious.

http://budk.com/blast-knuckles-stun-gun/p/...APBK950/c/3100/

not the most practical, but still funny haha.

http://budk.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_23+ADFSC80

sneaky...

Squinty >.<

I was just asking my neighbor about this topic. I'm an idiot when it comes to guns and he's ex SEAL&CIA. He used to teach classes to high ranking officers and congressional staff on home safety and defense so who better to ask.

He leaves his loaded .357 revolver on the nightstand every night and puts it away every morning. (Kinda creepy, actually).

Summarizing his statements:

1) He prefers snub nosed revolvers as they, "can sit in a dresser for 20 years and I know it'll fire when I pull the trigger. Because the barrel is shortened, it's ideal for moving room to room". Disadvantage- no convenient safety mechanisms if there are children around.

2) .357s and .45 semi/autos are his next choice for, "knocking someone down in a hurry". Advantage: Safety switches and the availability of smart grips. Disadvantage: must clean regularly and although a 99% chance it'll fire if it sits for a couple years in a dresser drawer, he doesn't like a 1% chance it won't. "Chances are the bad guy won't wait if you ask him for 5 minutes to clean said weapon". He says each has their own preference; his is H&K? Can't confirm that...

3) 9 mms. His least favorite. Standard round has a much higher velocity and tends to go through said bad guy, and the next wall, and the next wall, etc. Not good if you have family members on the same floor. Same advantages and disadvantages of #2

His recommendation for homes with children- 9mm with (correct me if I'm wrong) silver tipped, hollow point rounds? I know the hollow point part sounds right. Silver tipped sounds kinda vampirish. I know you military guys can clarify that too.

No kids? Revolvers all the way. He did say there's a direct relation between damage to said bad guy and your eardrums. :)

Also, security systems. His prefereces:

#1 dog

#2 Contact point security system on all windows and doors and master control is in the bedroom. However, DON'T pay for the service and don't put the sign out front. When I asked why the hell not he said, "you can hear the audible beeps from master control and call 911 faster than the security company can. You also get the chance to shoot someone."

I can't say I agree with him on not using the service and wanting to shoot someone... but I'm not Rambo, like him.

Nothing like sitting with a vet SEAL/CIA guy and listening to all his stories. Amazing stuff.

• 3 months later...

This is a thread dig but Duke caught my interest. I talk with a friend often who is Blackwater and was Marine Force Recon before that. I also own many guns and shoot at the range pretty often but i don't hunt game anymore.

This is a listing for most popular weapons and the correct damage dealing ammunition to go along with them for anyone that carry's for personal defense. http://ammo.ar15.com/project/Self_Defense_Ammo_FAQ/index.htm

Personally i carry a .40 S&W loaded with Winchester Ranger 155GR JHP's (Law Enforcement Ammo). I keep it bedside at night with 14 rounds in it, none in the chamber and in a holster for safety since the gun does not have one. It is easy to clean and is reliable. I have case's of ammo through this with 0 jams or any problem whatsoever so i trust my life to it.

The biggest thing is with a handgun is shot placement, 2nd is ammo. You can be using zombie smoking bone crusher bullets but you have to hit the target first. so practice practice practice is the most important thing. a .45 ACP in theory should give you almost 60% more damage but that all goes out the window if you can't hit the target or control the recoil from the handgun. I choose a middle ground and went with the .40 for many reasons.

protection001.jpg

His recommendation for homes with children- 9mm with (correct me if I'm wrong) silver tipped, hollow point rounds? I know the hollow point part sounds right. Silver tipped sounds kinda vampirish. I know you military guys can clarify that too.

Thats close. The correct round for a 9mm in self defense ammo is Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Partition Gold, which are both hollow points. That link i posted above will clearify everything from a strictly damage dealing perspective.

here's a question from a non-gun owner (and knows close to nothing about guns):

why does the increase in dmg matter? if the bullet hits at the same spot from two different guns, the guy will be injured and *shouldn't* be able to proceed further; is there still a chance that the bad guy can keep on going if you used a weaker gun and did less dmg?

Yes.

You can shoot someone with a round from a .22 hangun using high velocity range ammo and it will put a nice clean hole through the target.

You shoot someone with a .40 handgun and use the same high velocity range ammo and it will put a little bigger but still clean hole through the target.

Now. Sub in a Hydra Shock bullet or Winchester Ranger and it will do massively more damage inside of the target and may not even make it through to the other side. That link i posted above will put these words into pictures that you can understand. They use different rounds fired into ballistic gel. Some ammunitions are really devastating while others still hurt but aren't likely to put you down unless they are very well placed. If someone wants to harm you, you would be suprised what they will go through to do that until you stop them.

Since you don't own a handgun i will let you in on a secret. They are difficult to be accurate with past 35feet and even there you need a lot of practice to be consistent. So while yes almost any kind of bullet will kill if it's a headshot, that doesn't happen a whole lot in chaos situations. You aim for center mass and try to get 2 shots into center mass as quickly as possible. Doing this with a "damage dealing" bullet vs a "target range" bullet will net you vastly different results.

You shoot me in the chest with a .45 and a nasty damage dealing bullet, Im going down. You shoot me in the same spot with a .22 standard, I'm still going down.

I'm not sure if the same could be said for a man of enormous strength, sexually aggressive and high on PCP..

Thats close. The correct round for a 9mm in self defense ammo is Speer Gold Dot or Winchester Partition Gold, which are both hollow points. That link i posted above will clearify everything from a strictly damage dealing perspective.

I think the biggest concern for houses with children is a round that won't penetrate through multiple walls. Damage/stopping power is important in putting an assailant down, but if the bullet goes through them, the wall behind them and into someone else, that is not a good situation. I live in a 3 story townhome that has 12" of dead space between units, so while there is a little margin for error there I would need to very carefully select the rounds I would have on hand for home defense.

Would the rounds you listed above fall into this criteria?

Most of the ammunition i have talked about it designed with your reasoning in mind. It is in most cases a lower velocity heavier round hollow point that is made to hit a target, expand and make a big hole inside of a target. It is not designed to go in and out, but go in and hurt. Most victims shot with this type of round can be found with the bullet still in them. This is the reason i use 155GR Winchester Ranger ammuntion (cop bullets), they are designed to enter a body and stay in there, not shoot through walls or obstacles.

Good to know, thanks for the info :)

Lord knows I hope to never fire my gun at a person, but I want to make sure it would be as "safe" as possible. They say every bullet has a lawyer's name on it, and I don't want that name finding any collateral damages.