NV falling fast

Cujo

I would not necessarily take everything you read on the Inquirer as solid fact. With that said, yeah, this sounds really bad. Nevermind their plummeting stock.

I was going to say...the Inquirer is legit now?

If you do a minuscule bit of research on Charlie Demerjian and the whole issue, you'll find he's the only guy to write about it and just about every forum I've found has labeled him an "Nvidia hater" and to ignore his articles.

In addition to this, they are talking about a specific problem, that of hardware failures due to heat cycling, something that plagues ALL ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT. I nearly fell off my seat laughing when I read the details. If you think that it's an issue with just Nvidia products you're delusional. The article might as well read ALL ELECTRONICS WITH SOLDER ARE BAD. Now, granted Nvidia has always been on the cheap side (and that's an understatement) but until I see some proof that Nvidia products (despite their cheapness) are really that more likely to fail due to heat cycling than other products I won't worry much.

Plus according to cujo it will only cost me $70 to replace the Nvidia GPU on my laptop, so I'm fine with that :D

(you're making me feel really bad about missing this drive tomorrow cuj... :( )

Mo, the point is that the cards are having a higher than normal failure rate, and the dude at the Inquirer isn't the only one saying so. Hard OCP has had quite a few articles regarding this issue as well.

Could you please post these articles?

well i have a 8600m gt in my laptop, and ill let ya know when mine dies. until then, I'm not going to have something like this hanging over my head, getting me all worried.

Yeah, my wife has one too...good thing ASUS comes with a 2 year standard warranty instead of a 1 year...

while i don't take the inquirer as fact i do take it somewhat seriously. yes, they are often wrong but they are also often right. at the very least it is entertaining reading. yes, charlie seems to have something against nvidia but this time he appears to be right. their stock price should be evidence enough of that. he also makes some very good points re: the voltage bumps on the new steppings and the fact he pointed this out last year gives him a heck of a lot more credibility in my book.

• 3 weeks later...