So Spore comes out today eh?

bushwack

Anyone bought it yet and thoughts? I'm too cheap to throw 50 bucks away, where is the demo?

I just noticed not only do they have a strategy guide for the game but also a Limited Edition strategy guide. Sigh...

Edited by bushwack

:tired: It's...like...fun.

I started at 10am on Sunday morning and finally stopped around 9pm.

It's rather like a take on Civilization IV with an emphasis on the player controlling the action instead of just designating units to attack.

And then there's space. Space is big. Space is so big that the word big can't even be seen with the Hubble telescope next to how big space is.

Actually the game (once you get past the whole planet part, which maybe makes up half the game, if not less) feels like what I've always wanted out of a Star Trek game, which is the ability to just explore space while finding natural and unnatural phenomena and some colonizing of nice Earth like planets.

Oh yeah, FREAKEN LAZURS!

I'm really tempted by spore, as I haven't played a good "sim" in a looooooooong time (I think the original Black and White was the closest thing).

Honestly, there are parts I think really need to be longer (like the cell stage) and parts that need to be reinserted (like the fish stage, that was completely cut). The graphics (this could have just been me, playing on my old desktop) took a serious nose dive after the cell stage.

It's a really cool game, will have you addicted to finish it but I really don't see much replay value in it and the depth just isn't what WW claimed it would be.

"not talking do-dee, but, started playing Spore on Vista, crashed 4 times in 1.5hrs, switched to Mac, 0 crashes in 2hrs."

-anonymous

:wavey:

Mac Users: Automatically Less Intelligent than PC Users for Paying 3x As Much for Hardware (specifically SJ).

I can definitely see myself playing through it again if I ever truly make it through it once. I just built my spaceship. So I'm guessing I still have a long way to go. But about replay value, I already want to develop a completely different creature from the ground up doing herbivore and trying to ally with other creatures / nations instead of destroying them.

But yeah, this game isn't going to have the replay value like TF2 does!

"not talking do-dee, but, started playing Spore on Vista, crashed 4 times in 1.5hrs, switched to Mac, 0 crashes in 2hrs."

-anonymous

:wavey:

One person with computer issues does not represent every PC.

actually, i just wikipedia'd it, and you're wrong.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not stable on the Mac, September 8, 2008

By Michael G. Brennan "jaybrennan" (NJ USA) - See all my reviews

(REAL NAME)

Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars

Despite the terrible DRM that comes with the game, I really wanted to play it, so I gave in and bought a copy. I had no problems playing until I got to the space stage and saved and exited the game. Now the game is extremely unstable and crashes after only a few minutes play.

So I guess this review on Amazon represents every Mac.

I'm starting to agree with all the bad reviews, while the game is fun, I feel like it's a space sim with a tiny bit of civ tacked on to the beginning.

My biggest complaint is how disproportionate the pre-space portion of the game is to the space portion. It took me about four hours to get to space and I've been playing for about 16 hours total. Not that space shouldn't be a larger portion of the game, but this is really unbalanced.

Possible spoiler:

So I eradicated a pre-space species on a T3 planet only to realize I had no colony injector and by the time I got back someone colonized the darn planet and they had the audacity to get miffed when I razed their colony with my lazures!!1

I got the galactic edition for my b-day... one of the dvds "How to build a better being" was pretty darn stupid. it was the only one I watched while installing the game. I passed out on my bed from boredom watching it.

my account name is: Ebildustbunny

I'm only allowing friend creations to join my game to avoid penis creatures I've heard about since the creature creator was out.

I got the galactic edition for my b-day... one of the dvds "How to build a better being" was pretty darn stupid. it was the only one I watched while installing the game. I passed out on my bed from boredom watching it.

I'm only allowing friend creations to join my game to avoid penis creatures I've heard about since the creature creator was out.

lol, I sorta wish I owned a copy just to conquer your world with...errm...my snake creatures!

lol, I sorta wish I owned a copy just to conquer your world with...errm...my snake creatures!

I was confused there for a minute due to your previous comments and the conclusion they led me to, however I'm guessing this is one of those "don't ask, don't tell" situations. :D

I was confused there for a minute due to your previous comments and the conclusion they led me to, however I'm guessing this is one of those "don't ask, don't tell" situations. :D

You're drm'd if you do and drm'd if you don't.

From what I understand when you uninstall it you get your installs back. So you could install and uninstall as many times as you wanted, but could only have it installed on 3 computers or if you have to format without uninstalling it will use an install.

No those are the proposed changes to the system, currently installing it kills one of your three activations, for evers (but I would assume they will reset that with the new DRM model). You can still only have one account with a single key though :boo:

From what I understand when you uninstall it you get your installs back. So you could install and uninstall as many times as you wanted, but could only have it installed on 3 computers or if you have to format without uninstalling it will use an install.

No those are the proposed changes to the system, currently installing it kills one of your three activations, for evers (but I would assume they will reset that with the new DRM model). You can still only have one account with a single key though :boo:

Okay, it is really dumb then. :)