Far Cry 2

Tek-Almighty

Ok...so I had much faith in Far Cry2...hoping that it would be the Crysis I really wanted.

Holy S***.

Horrible interface.

Doesn't allow you to adjust audio channel settings (2.1 vs. 5.1 etc...), therefore I really can't hear much in surround mode.

You cannot select mouse wheel up or down on config menu, yet it works anyways.

If you have an adjustable dpi mouse, its settings (in game) will frequently change. Sometimes for 30 sec to a minute you will not be able to use mouse at all...just keys.

The graphics set at very high, are MORE TAXING than Crysis. I was getting and average of 11 fps @ 1920 x 1200 using 2 oc'd 8800GT in SLI. And the kicker is that it looks worse than Crysis on "high." Graphics are not like the pre-rendered vids.

My game has frozen 3x so far out of 4 loads of saved levels.

The user interface is completely unintuitive.

Wow...just wow...ftw.

And the denouement: While installing, one of the install files was identified as a trojan by my recently updated AVG 8.0.

FTW indeed.

I'll keep you updated.

Just so you know, the couple of reviews I have read mentioned that it runs better on lesser hardware than Crysis does. You shouldn't be getting worse performance than Crysis on this according to what I have read and seen. Methinks there is something else going on if you're having issues.

I want to check this game out but I'm not sure if my current rig will run. 2.5 dual core celeron 1650xt 512 vid card 2 gigs of ram.. Yes I know I need to upgrade, I'm still stuck with an agp card, but I promised the wife I would wait until after the first of the year to upgrade.

Well, I've spent the last two days reading the laments and praises of ppl on HardOcp forums, as well as others, about this game...that and troubleshooting.

Many say the same things:

1) Inexplicable framerate drops

2) BSOD when hitting checkpoints or quickload

3) Weird mouse lag

4) Sound issues with Creative hardware

5) Not being able to launch the program (I've experienced this...)

6) No true widescreen support

7) Great hardware running the game like donkey donuts.

Well, I've spent a grand total of 2 hours playing and 2 hours fixing, so I wouldn't recommend for now, but it a couple of months, after a couple of patches, this will be great game.

Oh, and the graphics (at max) are far inferior to Crysis...infact...the graphics at "very high" are on par with Call of Duty 2...That's right...2.

Boiling Point was a game that came out in 2005. It was a lot like Far Cry 2, there's factions, you drive around in crummy little cars, passing checkpoints and shooting people. Most of the game feels the same as Boiling Point, the way the cars handle, the way the shooting feels, the way the factions work, the jungle environment, even down to looking at your watch to tell the time. It was very buggy though, not much unlike Far Cry 2. :)

There is a sequel coming out later this year supposedly called White Gold, I imagine a whole bunch of comparisons between the two. White Gold takes place in the Caribbean, it actually looks more like Far Cry than Far Cry 2 does.

• 6 months later...
(edited)

Can anyone post fps. Just wondering what average is.

My son just got the game with his XFX GTX 285 and I was wondering what average is.

My sons rig:

Gigabyte MB

AMD 6000c 3.1ghz Dual Core AM2 socket

4gigs Crucial ddr2 800mhz

XFX GTX 285 1gig

Visio 32'' 1080p tv

Average fps is 25 to 30 with spikes of 35 to 50 this is with all settings maxed out. Resolution is at 1900x1200

Edited by Primus

Visio 32'' 1080p tv

Average fps is 25 to 30 with spikes of 35 to 50 this is with all settings maxed out. Resolution is at 1900x1200

I'd bump down the rez to native of that TV, is it really 1900x1200? 23-30 fps is kinda sucky for a shooter.

After looking at VooDoo's pics enlarged, my son's screen is like 3 to 4 times clearer and much more detailed, I assume that's because of the card.. I'll get him to grab some screen shots.

Just an FYI, the "clearness" factor is probably more contributed to the screen than the card, and that card is overkill for the processor running it. Bump up the processor and you should see better FPS. That said, it's impressive you're getting "playable" frame rates with everything maxed on that game. The native res for a 1080p TV is 1920x1080, btw. 16:9 aspect ratio.

(edited)
The native res for a 1080p TV is 1920x1080, btw. 16:9 aspect ratio.

I'll tell him that, thanks. "edit" thats what he has it set to apparently. He wants to get a quad core but needs new mb so he's gonna work on that. What do you guys suggest, Intel or AMD.

Here are some pics, I don't know his controls but I did manage to torch the tree!! :o:lol2:

fc4.jpg

FC6.jpg

FC7.jpg

fc3.jpg

Edited by Primus

Very pretty!

intel, intel, intel

Yeah the Athlons X2 chips are getting pretty old but I hear the Phenoms II can hold up, until pitted against a i7 anyway.

I'm waiting till next month to get the new rev E5200, should be fun to play with. Someone told me to get a E8400 instead but it's over twice as much, is it twice as fast?

Very pretty!

intel, intel, intel

Yeah the Athlons X2 chips are getting pretty old but I hear the Phenoms II can hold up, until pitted against a i7 anyway.

I'm waiting till next month to get the new rev E5200, should be fun to play with. Someone told me to get a E8400 instead but it's over twice as much, is it twice as fast?

Heh, I doubt that! I have the 8400 @ 3.83 on air, and it's been that way since christmas with 0 problems. You could probably get the 5200 to similar speeds. I'd go the cheaper route ;) Though, does it have as much cache? I'm out of the loop so bad now.

I have the 8400 @ 3.83 on air, and it's been that way since christmas with 0 problems. You could probably get the 5200 to similar speeds. I'd go the cheaper route ;) Though, does it have as much cache? I'm out of the loop so bad now.

Na the 5200 only has 2mb while the 8400 has 6mb. With the new rev of the e5200 they should be able to go 200-300 more then the current chips. I'm hoping 4.0 will be easy.

Seems the more complex the game and higher the rez, game performance is boiling down to the GPU. Well for us single GPU folks anyways. :)