new tv suggestions

lazarus

Okay, I got the PS3 now I need a nice TV to go along with it. Here's what I would like:

LCD or Plasma, 37", Panasonic or Sony.

Surely, there have been other topics that have been started about this topic, or some of you guys have already put in some research. I'm really just looking for places with good deals. Also, should I buy now or wait till closer to Christmas time?

Anything would help!

Avoid sony, they don't make their own TVs so they're cheap.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=3651

It's a company that is out of business but the screen is made by sharp (same as aquos) Get the two year protection plan and you have a 55" TV for less than a 42" Sharp and it's the same quality :D

Or for $2000 you can get a nice DLP TV http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1830

73" holy crap lol

Or my personal favorite:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=1751

with a 119" electric screen ;)

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...&CatId=2434

Edited by Preacher

Okay, I got the PS3 now I need a nice TV to go along with it. Here's what I would like:

Surely, there have been other topics that have been started about this topic, or some of you guys have already put in some research. I'm really just looking for places with good deals. Also, should I buy now or wait till closer to Christmas time?

Anything would help!

LCD, Sony. Black Friday.

Side Note: Just because the panels were manufactured in the same plant, doesn't mean the performance of the TV is the same.

Pioneer makes better plasmas than Panasonic--but you have spend a but-load to get them

My father-in-law just bought a Sony 52" LCD--one of the newest models--and it has ghosting that I can see, and it also has some bad banding problems when watching Planet Earth on BluRay. I don't know if this is just a problem on the newest Bravias or not--but Preach is right about Olevia--I'd look for an LCD made by them (one of their newer ones) 'cause then you get a Sharp LCD panel which is SWEET. Granted, I don't think the up-convert processor or the imaging processor in the Olevia is as good, but they look nice in the store.

I'm buying a 37" or 40" for my bedroom, and I'm most likely going with Olevia--though I might consider Vizio or a Black-Friday Sharp Aquos.

On a side note, I have a 52" Sharp Aquos and there aren't any banding problems on MY TV when I watch Planet Earth, and I don't see any ghosting either. :) Like I said, however, it may just be limited to a few Sony models.

Anything would help!

LCD, Sony. Black Friday.

Side Note: Just because the panels were manufactured in the same plant, doesn't mean the performance of the TV is the same.

I second this. I have not noticed the banding issues Mav mentioned either - maybe isolated case or other problem? If you see the two TVs with the supposed "same panels" side by side, there isn't a comparison in image quality, especially with any non-hi-def sources. When you buy the pricier brands, much of what you are paying for is image processing. To me, it's worth the difference in cost.

Quick recommendations:

Samsung - 37" 720p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV

Sony - BRAVIA 37" 720p Flat-Panel LCD HDTV

Holiday pricing would be a great time to get a deal on one of these or something comparable. Sharp also makes great LCD TVs. I did read an article on CNet recently that said you may be able to negotiate pricing at some brick and mortars (Best Buy, etc) even before the official holiday shopping season begins.

Well, Samsung and Sony use the same panels, but I believe that the Samsung actually has the better signal processors. Sony wins the game for standard definition signal.

Boiler--I'm fairly positive it's just a problem with the model line he bought, or perhaps the 52" models. It's kinda tricky to make giant LCD panels, and perhaps they had some issues with it. I have not noticed the problem on smaller Sony's (i.e. the 37" range) and would consider buying on myself if it weren't for the fact that I feel they're a little over-priced (although, as of late, they've become a LOT more reasonable, so I'll end up at least considering one for my bedroom TV)

Quick recomendations:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16889102202

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16889187084

You can't beat the prices on either of these sets! I can't believe how low they are! Anyway, if you're going to be playing a ton of games, buy the LCD--otherwise, I'd go for the plasma, definitely.

Panasonic makes fantastic Plasmas, but they are still prone to some burn-in if you're not careful. Don't get me wrong, you'd have to do A LOT of gaming to get burn-in, but Slaughter has a Panasonic Plasma and when he stayed up all night playing Dead Rising, the life bar (which isn't even on the screen 100% of the time) was burnt into the corner. It went away over the next few days of TV watching, but it's something to be wary of. They are nice TV's though--very nice.

Actually never thought I would buy at TV online. Was shopping around with a friend a couple of weeks ago just to see where prices were at.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16889102208

Can't beat the instant rebate of $620, when places like Best Buy sell it at MSRP. They even shipped it for free!

As for the TV itself, it is amazing, and even though you think "Oh it's 40", that is nothing" it is actually almost too big for how small of a room I'm going to have it in. Also, for all the research I have done, this is probably one of the best TV's you can get now, especially with the price drop. My brother plays his 360 on it, and it is flawless. Also watched NFL/ World Series and its just jaw dropping.

(edited)

FYI, my local Best Buy price matched Newegg for me. Saved me $20 on my new headset. Might be worth trying for a TV if you would rather buy from an actual store. Their only stipulation was that they had to include the shipping cost Newegg was charging into the matched price.

Edited by boiler

my $0.02

I've usually purchase Sony TV's, and have been consistently satisfied. My general feeling is you pay a bit of a premium for the name, but generally get a good product.

That said, they have a somewhat confusing array of sets in any given size. There are S's and W's and V's and XBR's, depending on the day, week, current lunar alignment, or the result of a random product name generator.

Do a little research. XBR is generally the best overall set with the premium sticker price. You can often get another Sony set from one of the other lettered lines with similar capabilities for less. There is some disagreement whether these other sets are really as good as the XBR, but I suspect there is a lot of subjectivity here.

Cheers,

CEM

What price range are you looking at? I did a lot of research before I bought mine and I suggest getting Samsung. IMO, it's the best brand out there right now. I got mine from www.abesofmaine.com.

I would Agree here with the suggestion of samsung. Have a 40 inch LCD from amazon.com and couldn't be happier with it [have Samsung ln40a with red touch of color] Paid around 1300 for it through amazon, and had it shipped to me in about 4 days which was nice. :wiggle2:

what's the real difference bw 1080 and 720? with a 40" lcd would I really be able to tell?

Don't bother with 1080p on any screen smaller than 46". The only time you would be able to tell is if you were using it frequently as a computer monitor (lower resolution) or sitting 3 feet away from the screen. For screens 46" and up though, 1080p makes a noticeable enough difference to be worth the premium in price.

It just goes to how many pixels, like the difference between a 5mp camera and an 8mp camera. They both can take fine pictures but the quality of the small details are better the more pixels there are.

If the price difference is minmal go for the 1080p, if it jumps a huge amount then decide for yourself if it's worth it. The best way to see the difference is to head over to a Best Buy or similar and ask the sales person to show a DVD on two TVs of the same bran where one is 720p and the other is a 1080p. The main thing to then watch is for scenes where a lot is going on and the quality of the details.

Honestly I looked at a ton of TVs before I bought the 32" one in my bedroom and went with the cheapest TV they sold at Best Buy lol. Dynex is the brand and it works awesome. Turns out the LCD panel is made by LG and the same one is under 10 different brands. I guess it's like the Olivia bran that is really just an off brand Sharp.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16889253161

or for the cheap side

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1201306784758

but if you get this go ahead and pay the extra for the extended warranty.

Honestly I looked at a ton of TVs before I bought the 32" one in my bedroom and went with the cheapest TV they sold at Best Buy lol. Dynex is the brand and it works awesome. Turns out the LCD panel is made by LG and the same one is under 10 different brands. I guess it's like the Olivia bran that is really just an off brand Sharp.

Did exactly the same thing, I think it was about $400 (could have been cheaper) including the extended warranty.

I walked into BestBuy looking to spend about $1,000 on a TV for the bedroom, saw the deal on the Dynex, spoke to the guy there, and his point that "it's not quite as clear as the Samsung, but you're unlikely to have a Samsung sat right next to it for comparison in your bedroom" was 100% accurate. Couldn't actually be happier with the Dynex, they had a stack of them inside the door when we walked in and I think a promotion on them, but it was a great deal and I kind of wish I'd bought 2 of them so I could have one in my computer room rather than the 32inch CRT I have in there.

1080 is nice (I wont go lower! lol), but if you use it for most things it wont help... A lot of DTV is 720, 90% of console games are only in 720p (which saddens me). Blu ray uses it and looks sexy as though! Mmmmm... Movies in 1080p.... :drool:

My cable company's HD DVR boxes only display upto 1080i. Sucky.

Same here. If your TV has a good processor in it though you probably couldn't tell the difference (high-end TVs differentiate themselves primarily by their processors).

I heard that the major cable companies may be working on increasing their infrastructure to allow 1080p signals, but I'm not sure if/when that would ever happen.