sister wants a system

Laz.e.rus

Shes looking for like a core2duo desktop. Minimum 2 gigs ram, prefer 3.

Vista.

Monitor included.

Cheap, but not garbage.

Any ideas guys? Ive just been browsing online at walmart, Bestbuy, newegg, etc. You all know of one or some that seem decent? She's not a gamer, BUT she upgrades about 1/decade so it needs to be decent to last her.

The one I am replacing is a PIII I think, maybe an OLD P4. 256MB ram, 20 gig HDD ... you get the idea.

Thanks!

I just quickly browsed Newegg and couldn't really find anything that matched your specific requirements. I think what you'll have to do is get the machine, upgrade the ram and buy a monitor.

Seems most desktop systems don't come with a monitor and only one I saw had more than 1GB of ram.

Vista is crap. Even Microsoft thinks so.

No it's not. Take your bias elsewhere. Vista is a better OS then XP and support for XP will end before Vista support. I'll agree that Vista is a resource hog but just turn off all the eye candy and you have yourself a faster, more stable, longer supported OS than XP.

No it's not. Take your bias elsewhere. Vista is a better OS then XP and support for XP will end before Vista support. I'll agree that Vista is a resource hog but just turn off all the eye candy and you have yourself a faster, more stable, longer supported OS than XP.

I've never run a copy of Vista on my comps so I can't play in this debate. I do know that the XP I run is stable, fast and supported right now. But if I had to buy a O/S today I would grab Vista.

I hated it at first, but I just don't like change. Whether you like it or not is pointless because XP is now "the old one". No DX10, no Crysis, and no future. Vista is here to stay so for the next 3-5 years get used to it. Comply or go mac/linux.

I hated it at first, but I just don't like change. Whether you like it or not is pointless because XP is now "the old one". No DX10, no Crysis, and no future. Vista is here to stay so for the next 3-5 years get used to it. Comply or go mac/linux.

What? I just beat crysis last month on XP :P

Vista is so stable that the company I work for (Watlow Electric which is multi-national) has officially abandoned Vista to go back to XP.

There are currently 2 laptops in the entire company that are using Vista. Mine and one of my managers. Mine is being switched to XP tomorrow.

I know how to use computers. I have all the eye candy and stupid alerts turned off. The programs that run the worst (for me) on Vista are Microsoft Office, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, Microsoft Internet Explorer, Firefox and Microsoft Visual Studio 2005.

4 of those are flagship applications for Microsoft and they run like complete junk on the flagship operating system.

In 2-3 years time, after 2 or 3 Service Packs have come out, I am sure that Vista will be an awesome OS. Just like XP was crap until Microsoft fixed it over the next few years and now it is at least stable.