CoD4 Mod War 2 will not support servers

Tek-Almighty

http://games.on.net/..._for_PC_version

I hope this is a rumor. No dedicated servers for PC version, just like Xbox...Nice...

Oh it's confirmed. Giant let down, was planning on getting this for PC but now there's no point. Definitely going the 360 route with this one.

I can only guess at why Activision decided to go this route and alienate their prime player base. Maybe to thwart piracy and encourage console sales? Seems to me like Activision is trying to hammer nails into the coffin of PC gaming, not surprising since it's the most costly platform to develop for when you consider all the aspects (piracy and inconsistent hardware setups being the major ones I can think of). Doubt it's going to work out for them though...if that is indeed their motive.

The mp aspect is the best defense against piracy IMO, it allows for a server check for legitimacy. If you go with a SP version only, or eliminate the option of dedicated severs, there will be a crack for it inside of a week and then it'll ruin sales no matter how good/bad the game is.

(edited)

I was looking forward to the game, but Im not going to buy it now. I would say this is going to backfire on them because of the huge loss in PC sales, but now days the xbox and ps3 are the bigger markets anyway. I will pirate the game for the single player mode, but I really don't want to play multi player like this. Don't you lose the whole community aspect? Where would gamerscoalition be without a CS server?

They claim that they are trying to make it level across all platforms. This is dumb. They are gimping the PC version because consoles aren't able to be as good?

What are they going to do next? Disable mouse and keyboard?

I would be all for this if they would cross-platform with xbox live. Xboxers would get owned.

Edited by .fx

Matchmaking & Smoother Gameplay: When you want toplayer a multiplayer game on PC, in the past. You’d have to scrollthrough a Server Browser which listed every available server which washosted by individual server admins.

I scanned through the first couple paragraphs of the article. Either I'm far more tired than I thought or the grammar is a level 2- for grade 7.

• 2 weeks later...
We thought the lack of dedicated servers was bad, but now we can add the lack of console commands, the inability to have a say in who hosts the game, a lengthy pause while the game migrates to a new host if the currently selected host quits, no leaning, no option to record matches, and no way to kick or block trouble players, hackers, or cheaters.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/11/pc-modern-warfare-2-its-much-worse-than-you-thought.ars