My computer spec's

Shazz

Hello All!! Haven't posted much lately...but I still troll these forums.

Unclean posted about a trial of Aion and I thought that would be a fun game to play! Then reality sunk in...new rig. It seems like I am running into that thought alot since my computer is around 5 years old.

So...I need to buy a computer. I thought about going with Ibuypower.com or Falcon computers. Building would be nice I guess, however I am a complete noob. Super noob at building computers. In other words, I haven't done it before (virgin).

Money..ehhh. Not silly spending, but not cheap either. I do want to run a computer for a while. If I had to choice to spend 500 bucks and it would only last a year...or spend 1500 bucks and it last 3 years...I would go with the 1500 buckaroos.

Here are my current specs.

Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2 (build 2600)

3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

16 kilobyte primary memory cache

2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache

64-bit ready

Hyper-threaded (2 total)

314.95 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity

81.55 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

Board: Dell Inc. 0U7084

Serial Number: ...

Bus Clock: 800 megahertz

BIOS: Dell Inc. A04 01/10/2005

RADEON X850 Series [Display adapter]

RADEON X850 Series - Secondary [Display adapter]

ASUS VH222H [Monitor] (21.1"vis, s/n 94LMTF051424, April 2009)

Angel MPEG Device (2x)

Creative Game Port

Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)

USB Audio Device

Intel® 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F

Intel® 82801FR SATA AHCI Controller

There you go. I just copied and pasted this stuff from Belarc advisor.

I really could use some help on this. This computer is showing its age and sadly I must move on. And please be kind, I am gentle. :D

Shazz!! Dude, how have you been? And Aion is a blast - it's like Guild Wars with flying and more gear! :) 3vil is actually going to be giving it a go too, so we could all start soon.

Also, I think gone are the days where you have to spend $1500 to get a good rig that will last for years. You could get a prebuilt machine around $400-500, and if needed, swap out the videocard/power supply. Shoot for an Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad. I'll leave it to the others to recommend specific ones, but that should give you a very solid start.

Also, I think gone are the days where you have to spend $1500 to get a good rig that will last for years. You could get a prebuilt machine around $400-500, and if needed, swap out the videocard/power supply. Shoot for an Intel Core 2 Duo/Quad. I'll leave it to the others to recommend specific ones, but that should give you a very solid start.
contrary to my usual replies to unclean, this is a serious one :D

is the $400-500 route realistic? i'm sorta seriously looking for a desktop that i can use mostly as a torrent seedbox (20x7), but can can reliably game on. my macbook pro does well, but i'm kinda getting over rebooting into windows (via bootcamp) and do have that seedbox need. i don't want to water cool or mod a case...

if this turns out to be a major threadjack that doesn't help shazz, i'll split the two out.

stutters out.

video/cpu are gonna hang you up on the game there. I suggest going with a refurb PC from tigerdirect.com (make sure it's duel core w/ 3gb or more ram and then buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150448 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341016

If you already have a decent power supply then just use it (500+ watts)

Miss you too Duke :)

And anything that has to do with upgrading computers will help me out Stutters. (still listening to the music you sent me)

I would like to buy or build a new system. I really don't want to mess with this box, it works but dated. And with my luck I would ruin this thing if I messed with it hardware wise.

I have browsed newegg and I just don't know if I should go intel or amd, ATI or nvidia. What matches with what and so on. That is one of the reasons I have looked at ibuypower, cyberpower, alienware etc.

And Aion looks really sweet Unclean!

Go with an Intel Core 2 Duo or Quad, and at least 4GB of RAM. ATI or Nvidia, I'm not sure. I think that might be the Ford vs Chevy debate.

SJ - I think it's absolutely realistic. I did a little test earlier this year - I built my own PC a few years back for $1100, and bought a Dell from someone at work with the same processor/amount of ram for my wife (Q6600 system for $400). Then I installed games on there that I play on my "gaming pc", threw the power supply and videocard in, and checked out the results. There was almost NO difference whatsoever. Fancy motherboards, RAM, etc made maaybe a 2-3 fps difference.

Simply put, in that real world application, there was no noticeable difference between a prebuilt and a system designed for gaming. It's mostly marketing and hype IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

While shopping..I came across the combo deals on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.311875

What do you think? Is it worth a build? Specially for my first build.

If it is a good buy, what else should I invest in? I want to pickup Windows 7 too. Just didn't know if I needed to buy some other stuff that is vital to a build that isn't included.

And the debate between amd and intel. /shrug. I just noticed a good package buy and marked it. Feel free to voice opinions please.

Not sure why you need two 5770's, but... um... not sure why I do lots of the things I do either. :) Maybe price out something like what Unclean suggested and compare prices.

You can cut that price down if you want - get a less expensive case (Antec 300 or something), just one of those 5770s, a 500GB drive, and possibly keep the rest. Just as a starting point for comparing prices.

You could also see the difference between an intel Q8400 and AMDs match for it. Though, if you're saving monies on the things mentioned above, you could possibly look at getting an i5... ;)

When I built my machine last year I got a lot of real good feedback. You could search for it and use that as a base to start from and obviously get newer/better parts for the dollar.

I built two previous machines on intel, but switched to amd on this one. The quad core rocks my socks off. And to throw my .02 cents on the whole chevy vs. ford debate, go ford. ATI has never failed me.

Now Asus/ABIT boards have both died on me....grumble grumble.

If you're heck-bent on spending more money, how about a system like this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229130

It has intel's fancy i-series processor in it, it comes with a Windows operating system already, and it's prebuilt with a 30 day moneyback guarantee (standard 3 year warranty applies - a lot of computer companies only offer 1 year). There's a 700W power supply so you could swap out the videocard if the included one isn't enough for ya. Oh, and if you're curious about the brand (I was), they look pretty decent:

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/CyberPower

Just another thought...

oh, and btw the Antec 300 is the best case I have worked with. Makes the build process very smooth, not to mention I think the movement of the PSU unit to the bottom of tower just makes more sense.

my buddy got the full tower antec 900 and says he loves it as well. Just an idea.

hey shazz, im a big time troller here too. And I think I'm at the same point you are.

6 year old computer (I donated mine to a church already), so with a minimum of research of the interwebs I found a few articles about cheap gaming rigs. I don't want to hijack your post, so I'll start a new one, and you can check out the specs.

Sweet!! I like your build already. I am very new to this build process. I really don't know much about computer parts fitting some and not others, so your thread helps me get a good starting point. Matter a fact, I might just copy it.

before you straight copy: i'd take a closer look at the hard drive, you can go bigger or smaller. also, the keyboard and mouse are my personal preferences. and note that there is no OS included, i have a buddy that has the software for windows 7 ultimate and im just going to buy a license key off of ebay ($20).

Edited by lazarus