Could use a second opinion

JackieChan

My compy is on the fritz again. First was the video card last year, then the RAM last December, now another problem. Here's what it is:

As soon as I turn on my computer it will either...

-turn off immediately followed by a constant loop of turning on and off

-turn on for a little while, 3-6 seconds (give or take) and turn off and go in a loop.

-turn on, hardly get past POST and turn off and loop

-turn on, get fully booted into windows or open something in windows like Steam or something, then turn off and loop (if I'm lucky)

So my brother, the computer guru took a look at it and what he eventually ended up doing was unplugged the AUX 12v plug near the CPU. Doing that, everything powered up, fans, dvd drives, everything, but as soon as you plug the AUX 12v plug back in, it goes dead.

He thinks it's either a CPU or a Mobo problem. I was thinking it could also include the PSU as well.

So what do you guys think it is? I'm hoping that it's the CPU rather than the Motherboard since a CPU is less of a pain in the butt to replace.

(put acronym tags in there because I was bored)

Ugh...not sure, but my dad had a similar issue...didn't loop as much, but would start and then shut down...ended up being a mobo.

What are you running? I have a brand new AMD board, never used, socket939 maybe? i'd hafta look.

GC Alumni
(edited)

Ugh...not sure, but my dad had a similar issue...didn't loop as much, but would start and then shut down...ended up being a mobo.

What are you running? I have a brand new AMD board, never used, socket939 maybe? i'd hafta look.

I got a Intel core 2 duo.

On the bright side, I can look at this as another time to upgrade although it's only been 2 years since my last full upgrade.

Edited by JackieChan

GC Alumni

Forgot to mention this, but my brother ended up taking another PSU and hooking it up to my computer and it didn't make a difference. Think I can rule out the PSU.

Going to start looking for mobos and cpus and see what I can find.

I said the PSU first because it is easier to deal with if defective than the mobo is. Keep in mind that the original PSU could still be bad which could be why the mobo is bad. It is that time of the year for T-storms and the like.

When i had built my current computer, i plugged the old one into the wall without a surge protector for a while because i didnt have another one, and in that short time we had either a lightning strike or power surge that fried my PSU, i was lucky it didn't affect the mobo. But Mav is right, you dont wanna put money into a mobo just to have it fry another one.