Help san` build a computer

san`

GC Alumni

Alright, so about a month ago amertrash was helping me pick out new parts to build a new computer. I'm ready to buy it now (yay tax money) but he's not around.

Here is what we had picked out so far:

Video Card (keep)

Processor

Solid State Hard Drive (keep)

Memory (keep)

Case

Power Supply

Monitor (keep)

Second Hard Drive (keep)

DVD Drive (keep)

Yay for Intel problems and recalls!

So, anyway, let's get to it. Budget ~ $1500. I'd like to keep the video card, solid state drive, 8 gigs of memory, 24" monitor, second hard drive, and dvd drive.

Current total - $1,287.91 without motherboard.

Edited by san`

Most, if not all, of the Sandybridge motherboards are off of Newegg, they were recalled because of an Intel mishap related to SATA ports. They should be back in stock soon, like next week. Intel said this week they are shipping out new motherboards to all the OEM manufacturers and then replacing the after market ones.

I would definitely stick with the Intel processor if you can wait for the motherboards. Those processors seem pretty damn good from what I have seen.

When they come back on the market, I'd go with either an Asus P8P67 (should be around $155) or a P8P67 Pro (if you think you'll want to run two video cards; should be around $190).

Looking at price vs clock speed on the CPUs, I'd wait for these boards to come back out. The way I read it it will probably be a month or more though. If you don't want to wait, I can tell you that an i5-760 is more than adequate to run CSS up around 300fps, and if I had a do-over and was buying another motherboard for socket 1156, I'd go with this.

Power Supply (Corsair 750W) - $90 after MIR

Based on the current MIR and the number of reviews (over 5x as many as anything else in the same category), this looks like a very good buy.

Case (Antec 300) - $62 shipped

This is the case I have; it feels very solid, was fairly easy to work with, is average-to-light weight, and seems pretty cheap. Pics if you want. As far as looks go, it's pretty much chacun à son goût.

This time around I went with the AMD setup. 6 cores for cheaper than the Intel 4 cores with relatively identical performance and less expensive all the way around. Plus AMD has extra features in their motherboards that work well with your ATI video card.

I would DEFINITELY go with an i7...the Sandy Bridge best the 1366 socket set in every benchmark . . . except gaming. That being said, the i7 I'm suggesting would beat the i5 Sandy Bridge you have picked out. I'd also stay away from that for the time being until they get their crap sorted out. Here is what I would change:

Motherboard

Processor

SSD (this is SATA III, which should be faster than the one you had picked)

Memory...Triple Channel supported with 1366

Wow! SSD drives are down near the $100 mark now? I might have to grab one of those.

And I totally agree with Mav on those i7 processors - my wife surprised me with this one for giftmas, and it rocks. I'll be in Aion with the settings cranked up all the way, switching to an open solution in Visual Studio, switching to SQL Server Management Studio, then Firefox with 35 tabs open, and there is absolutely NO slowdown whatsoever.

Wow! SSD drives are down near the $100 mark now? I might have to grab one of those.

And I totally agree with Mav on those i7 processors - my wife surprised me with this one for giftmas, and it rocks. I'll be in Aion with the settings cranked up all the way, switching to an open solution in Visual Studio, switching to SQL Server Management Studio, then Firefox with 35 tabs open, and there is absolutely NO slowdown whatsoever.

I'm running an i7 on this motherboard, and I love it. I've seen a rather massive increase in my gaming capability, and I'm still using my old 8800 GTX. It doesn't seem what I have running in the background either--the thing just marches on like nothing's happening