bad language

D1G1TALD3ATH

First off! I am not coming in to flame anyone!! I have just seen clans around forever that have this "No Cursing" policy.

If your answer is "It's just our way" or "Because we say so!" then dont bother with a response. like i said I am not trying to flame anyone. I am just looking for a valid reason to why this would be a "rule" in a counter strike server.

Counter Strike: Source is a game filled with decently intense graphic violence; Guns, Explosives and knife fights. The game is already rated Mature by the ESRB for blood and Intense Violence. ESRB's "Mature" rating means it is not recommended for person(s) under the age of seventeen. As you can see here that rating includes strong language (cursing).

ratingsymbol_m.gif

MATURE: Titles rated M (Mature) have content that may be suitable for persons ages 17 and older. Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

I am not here to tell you what you can or can't do with your clan. [Of course] I simple want to see the reasoning behind your decision to ban foul language in your severs.

(as a side note) Many great and highly intelligent people from our history have used the colorful language of cursing. "Heck" even the french had made it into an art form!

(1) We want to keep a friendly atmosphere where players treat each other with respect, or at a minimum don't treat each other badly. This is supported by policies against swearing and insulting other players. If someone wants to insult someone, they will have to put it into language that will diminish or possibly cancel its offensiveness. A policy specifically against swearing at people would be difficult or impossible to enforce.

(2) Different things are offensive to different people. Some people would let their kids watch zombie movies but not R-rated comedies. Some people would do the opposite. CSS specifically is really not that gory; even if there were a clear equivalence between violence and bad language, to my eye it's tamer than what you'd see or hear at 9pm on broadcast TV.

(3) No swearing keeps the noobs out. Often enough, the people who can't control themselves are the very same people who theoretically shouldn't be playing an M-rated game.

What Mookie said.

We find that the people that govern themselves and stick around to play day after day are just higher quality people in general. We want to do our best to weed out the ethugs. It's not as much about the swear words themselves, but the people that can't play without swearing every other word. You will find, at least with me, mild swears will many times get ignored or just met with a mild reminder, but when they are directed at another player, even clean words will get you tossed on your arse.

Hope you stick around to get a better understanding :)

there's no scientific reasoning behind it, but in my observation, people who need to swear (or be otherwise derogatory) in game tend to rate high on the dbag charts. we prefer to encourage those folks to play somewhere else, with the exception of mohawk.

also, hi, hello, and welcome. on the basis of your post along, i have to assume you'd fit in well here. hope you stick around the forums and the server.

You posted it yourself:

Titles in this category may contain intense violence, blood and gore, sexual content and/or strong language.

This game is rated for violence, not language. Those of us that play on our server prefer it this way, so that's the way it will stay.

All of the reasons above.

Plus many parents still buy their kids games that are rated mature, or let the kid play the game while they sit there with them and the like. My dad used to let me play Duke Nukem when i was like 10 or I would watch him play and it was like our bonding time. We want to have a friendly atmosphere no matter what age a person may be because we all know that parents and older siblings buy their kids games and CD's they couldn't get on their own yet.

We prefer the friendly atmosphere, so we keep it this way.

Give an inch, and theyll take a mile. Its just a way to keep things civil, because for every one person that swears once and a while theres someone who will spew profanity constantly.

If Im ever feeling like swearing because of something in the game, I do it off my mic.

• 3 weeks later...