Planetside 2 free to play

TheDude

Yes, I was in the beta for a while. It's honestly the best produced F2P game I have seen, definitely worth playing. And there's nothing like advancing with an army of 200 people and watching the epicness unfold. The biggest drawback is that it is rather system intensive but towards the end of beta the performance had really improved. I'll definitely be playing, add me on steam or in game BusterMcKnuckles if anyone feels like squadding up.

So another Pay to Win F2P game...

Eh, that's never stopped me from playing them in the past though.

They have to make money somehow. If the free to play items weren't enticing, no one would buy them and the developer wouldn't make any money. Almost every free to play game has a basic "premium" account that gives you increased XP/currency. That's usually the cost or a little less than the cost of a normal monthly MMORPG fee. Then on top of that they tend to sell cosmetic things, classes, other kinds of perks.

I don't know exactly what Planetside 2 has since I haven't played the beta in some time but in World of Tanks they have the currency you buy with real money. You can convert that into "premium" days for XP/credit bonus. You can convert the currency directly into credits. They also have "premium tanks" which aren't as powerful as equal level tanks but they give a huge credit bonus. Then there's cosmetic stuff like camouflage paint (which actually isn't entirely cosmetic, it gives you a slight camouflage bonus), you can put emblems on your tank and some text.

Free to play games are great for developers, which is how they can make high quality games and have them be "free". People who are way into the game are going to pour a lot of money into something they enjoy, more than they would for a normal MMORPG. Free players can stay free for as long as they'd like and if they get into it enough they may want to throw some cash down. Then there's the free players that will never throw money down and play it free forever.

In the last couple of years free to play has become a legitimate business strategy and doesn't feel as sleazy as it was when things like FarmVille were super popular.

TF2? They're making tons of money off that game alone off of hats.

They also sell tons of weapons. I think the hats also have bonuses, so not entirely worthless to spend money on. I haven't played it in a while, I think the hats have bonuses anyway...

Team Fortress 2 also has the locked crates which you have to buy the keys for and that new Mann vs Machine stuff where you can buy tickets to guarantee you get an item.

Edit: I think Team Fortress 2 isn't the best example of a free to play game since it was built as a retail game. They kind of had to build the free to play aspects around it.

Edited by VooDooPC

Not true voodoo. Yeah, you got weapons in store but mostly nobody buy them. They usually buy paint or anything else, also those who want to make their account premium.

In TF2 you don't have to buy nothing if you want, but if you want awesome strange weapons which they count your kills, then you can buy them. You can buy them with your money or if you have enough random drops, smelt them into metal and then make a trade.

Yeah, I agree, to unlock a crate, you have to buy a key, but again, if you can get enough random drops/hats or if you craft anything good, you can easily buy keys just with in-game metal.

Basically in TF2 all weapons, normal weapons not stranges, do drop no matter what. So, in TF2 you don't have to buy a weapon to be better, but in other F2P it's exactly that. If you will spend 10 $, you'll get this better as basic weapon. If you'll spend 20 $, you'll get twice as better, ..etc etc

Not true voodoo. Yeah, you got weapons in store but mostly nobody buy them. They usually buy paint or anything else, also those who want to make their account premium.

In TF2 you don't have to buy nothing if you want, but if you want awesome strange weapons which they count your kills, then you can buy them. You can buy them with your money or if you have enough random drops, smelt them into metal and then make a trade.

Yeah, I agree, to unlock a crate, you have to buy a key, but again, if you can get enough random drops/hats or if you craft anything good, you can easily buy keys just with in-game metal.

Basically in TF2 all weapons, normal weapons not stranges, do drop no matter what. So, in TF2 you don't have to buy a weapon to be better, but in other F2P it's exactly that. If you will spend 10 $, you'll get this better as basic weapon. If you'll spend 20 $, you'll get twice as better, ..etc etc

I haven't seen any free to play games that let you buy things you can't get through the game normally unless it's cosmetic or some kind of bundle bonus. The last free to play game I played that just let you buy weapons was Blacklight Retribution, but all of the things you could buy with cash you could also buy with in game currency.

What free to play games just let you buy anything you want that you couldn't get through normal game play?

Well, I have seen a free game, which you got normal, basic weapons through entire game, in single or multiplayer, let you through game normally. You got standards weapons, have option to choose between 2 or maybe 3 pistols, but if you wanted anything better, you had to purchase.

Yeah, that definitely does sound like pay to win, not free to play. I think when free to play is done right it's great, but when the developers get greedy it's a bummer. They probably think during development, "Okay, we need to force players to give us money, how are we going to do that?" instead of a good free to play game where the player decides. If your game is good enough you'll get the money you need.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am getting together some friends to form an outfit to demolish people in PS2. This is the perfect GC game, its free, it could support every single GC player at the same time in an outfit for epic team play against the other empires, and its just great. You people need to get on this game, and stop wasting time playing games like BF3 where this everyone can play at the same time. Currently our strategy is working well, i specced my tank to be purely anti tank, with a vulcan on the top for second player to man to shoot down planes and infantry. Engineers fix the vehicles, and someone elses has sunderor for ammo replenishing and also more AA defense. Can also spawn at the sunderor when people die. Im heavy assault and spec'd out with seeking missiles for AT duty and a heavy chaingun for AI. Have medics for revives and heals and we could use more light assault or even snipers. Server we are on above, terran republic for the win.

Edited by ARMYguy

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone playing?? I have to say it's awesome. I haven't been on the CS server because of this game. I was a big desert combat fan and this sort of reminds me of it, but I think it's better. Three continents, each with 15 or so major bases and plenty of outposts and other capture points along the way.. each base is the size of a single Battlefield Map. 2000 players per server with three factions.

Platoons have 4 squads. You have voice chat for platoon, squad and proximity. The teamwork aspect to this game is what makes it. You can join the server and jump right into one of the many battles that are taking place on one of the three continents. If you roll with a platoon that knows what they are doing, it's even more fun. The night before last I was in a very organized assault that lasted about 2-3 hours before the base was captured.

It's worth checking out, but you do need a beast computer to run smooth. You can get a better frame rate with some tweaks though.. I'm playing as NC on Matherson, I roll with a very organized 300 member clan. Hit me up if you try it out.

Edited by NOFX

The night before last I was in a very organized assault that lasted about 2-3 hours before the base was captured.

That sounds intense but it's exactly what I don't like about the game. You can be in an area killing people for 3+ hours with zero progress. 3 hours of running up the same dumb hill getting shot by the same dumb bad guys, resurrecting the same dumb teammates over and over. After the first few times of that happening I've never been able to log on for more than 30 minutes because I get stuck in that rut and don't find it very fun.

The night before last I was in a very organized assault that lasted about 2-3 hours before the base was captured.

That sounds intense but it's exactly what I don't like about the game. You can be in an area killing people for 3+ hours with zero progress. 3 hours of running up the same dumb hill getting shot by the same dumb bad guys, resurrecting the same dumb teammates over and over. After the first few times of that happening I've never been able to log on for more than 30 minutes because I get stuck in that rut and don't find it very fun.

I know what you are talking about and it seems that happens when it's just a bunch of randoms. I'm with an organized group where the platoon lead is organizing squads for certain tasks. The battle started on the outskits and slowly progressed inwards. Depending on the squads orders, we were either capturing and holding specific waypoints or spawning tanks/reavers a few clicks away and flanking. This is actually one of the only times it's taken that long before one side comes out ahead, It usually only last 10-15 minutes. The guys I roll with have a fairly organized system where only certain people can be platoon lead and only certain people can be squad lead. You'll get kicked for using platoon chat. An organized group is way more fun.

Edited by NOFX

Well.. we usually have a full platoon most nights. A platoon is 4 squads with 12 players in each. 48 players. If there are more people from the outfit on, we will get a second platoon up. I think we had a full platoon plus one squad last night. There are about 250 active players in the outfit I'm in. A lot of the people are in the teamspeak server too, but it's not really required if you just want play, but if you aren't following the squad and just doing your own thing, they will kick you out.

On the nights where a lot of people are on.. our clan takes part in the NCC operations. Which means our platoon lead is in command chat with other platoon leaders. So there are a group of guys somewhere organizing all the platoons.

So to answer your question.... A lot. They just merged another server with matherson. There are a lot of people on every night. You usually have to wait in a 10 minute queue to get to the continent where the action is.

Edited by NOFX