CPU temp

ConGregation

What are normal temps? I always thought 40C was optimal with 45C being about the highest you wanted to go. My new setup seems to run hot. With no over clocking it ranges from 40 to 50 :o

Is there something wrong with that? Or is that acceptable? No way am I going to be clocking this with them readings. Will I need to buy a better HS?

what size fans do you have in your case currently? a new heatsink is only about $30 if needed, but if a bigger, or extra fan for the case would only be aout 12.50, did you go with stock heatsink? i hear antec is the way to go :unsure:

A lot of it seems to depend on your case cooling in general and not just your cpu fan. I have the standard OEM setup for my xp2600+ but I have lots of case fans and I am always at 40c give or take on both mobo and asus tool thingy readings. Before you go through the hassle of reapplying paste and upgrading the heatsink/fan I'd consider the case and see if that helps. Of course, if you're not confident with the original application of cooling goo then it might be worth it. TOo much/little is supposed to be good for a few degrees or CPU death.

DO you have case fans? Are they turned up? Do they blow in or out?

<dune>

the air must blow

</dune>

guild.jpg

I agree that you should verify your case cooling, did you get one of these:\

11-999-604-03.JPG

.....hmmm, did I mention it? $6.99 here. They have an adjustable rheostat so you can turn them up/down for noise/cooling performance.

It's all about the suck and blow. Air should be pulled into the case from the lower front and blown out just under the PSU. If you don't have at least 2 fans in there you might want to add one or both(!). 45 is acceptable, but a little on the hot side if that's idle temp. I've run AMDs at 45c idle before with no issues, but I like to have them closer to 40c idle. Using a couple of zip ties to clean up all the wires and IDE cables should be done to insure adequate airflow.

If you do have 2 fans currently then we should verify that you have thermal compound between the heatsink and cpu. The stock stuff is ok and you shouldn't expect too much from it. Arctic Silver themal paste or similar might drop it by a couple of degrees. If this was all it is then I wouldn't fret over it too much. But if you are really concerned I would browse a few websites and the Newegg customer reviews of HSF (heatsink/fans) for suggestions for best cooling vs. noise.

In my experience, 60c+ is when you are getting into dangerous territory. 65c+ is when my old setup started restarting itself (usually when I was playing CS or some other CPU intensive game). 40-50c isn't too bad but I would check it right after finishing to see what a peak load temp is. Also, I have a Barton 2500+ (1.8GHz @ OC'ed 2.1GHz) and I have noticed not heat increase to speak of. I also water-cool my system but you might try OCing a bit and see if the heat increases or not.

BTW, Riz has the same chip OC'ed to the same level and uses conventional cooling. Maybe he will speak up to say how much, if any, his temp increased.

Also, as Chief said, too much thermal past between the CPU and heatsink is just as bad as too little. Too much and it acts as a layer of insulation instead of conducting the heat away.

Round cables are ok, but what I do is to fold the cables. Here's what I mean - and it does take a little forethought - as the IDE cable comes off the connector for the motherboard lay it flat against the case bottom (actually the right side of the case when viewed from the front, but I'm assuming it's open and laying down), then fold the cable making a 90 degree angle in it so that there is a 45 degree edge, continue this until you get to the hard drive, etc. You'll have to think it out beforehad or you can end up with the IDE connector upside down. It might take you a few tries, but try not to 'crease' the cable until you have the right routing.

The cable will remember it's shape and can be taken out and put back in with relative ease then. Try to flush the cables against any surface you can and even under hard drive cages or the 5.25" bays if you can. Part of the goal is to keep that gab at the back of the AGP card and the hard drive area as clear as possible.

A few zip ties (with excess cut off) will clean up the power wires. Zip tie the excess bundle and put them into a 5.25" drive bay out of the way.

I use round cables and have no problems (yes, better airflow) but I have heard that the cables are designed flat for a purpose. Usually, circuit running though lines will lose a little data/energy (attenuation) or data from one line can bleed over into the adjacent ones (crosstalk) but they seperate each active line with ones to dampen and block these from happening. Round cables (homemade and commercial-made) ruins it by taking away the design (each active line is no longer sandwiched by the dampeners).

Now, most of this is a very loose extrapolation from my mind based on very limited actual fact that I have. I am sure Homer, or one of the other hardware gurus, will set me straight. B):D

I've read about those concerns too, and tests of flat vs. round IDE cables that show no difference.

Personally, I do the folding thing to save money and arguably I think it looks cleaner if you do a good job. The gray color seems to blend into the background too with the metal of the case.

I seem to have a whole box of flat IDE cables that I pull from, and 3 rounds ones that I don't use. The round ones are trickier to get just right for length, you have to loop them or something and this usually defeats some of the purpose of the airflow issue or cleanliness. I wish I had a digital camera so I could put a pic or two of my system.

Wire ties are nice, you might also consider a run over to radio shack. They have stuff that is like a coil like a large phone cord for bundling several cables together. Get the biggest fan that your case will support. It should have predrilled holes in there for 80 or 120mm fans. Mount them like HOmer said and then take the time to bundle and tuck away the cables as best you can.

lol get this....I built a 700 Mhz T-bird when I was a freshman I forgot to put thermal grease on it. It ran fine, but sometimes it would lock up and start beeping and I could never figure out why...ha!!! I go and check out the CPU temp about a year or so later its running between 75C-80C it ran idle at 70C...I still have it stored away somewhere, those must have been good cpu's. I bet it would have overclocked amazing, but I never tried it.

Edited by NOFX

CPU Properties

CPU Type AMD Athlon XP-A, 2200 MHz (6.25 x 352) 3000+

CPU Alias Barton

L1 Code Cache 64 KB

L1 Data Cache 64 KB

L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info

Package Type 453 Pin PGA

Package Size 4.95 cm x 4.95 cm

Transistors 54.3 million

Process Technology 6Mi, 0.13 um, CMOS, Cu

Die Size 101 mm2

Core Voltage 1.65 V

I/O Voltage 1.6 V

Typical Power 53.7 - 60.4 W (depending on clock speed)

Maximum Power 68.3 - 76.8 W (depending on clock speed)

CPU Manufacturer

Company Name Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

Product Information http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/Produc...,30_118,00.html

CPU Utilization

CPU #1 0 %

I run mine at 2200( Actually 2196) But my temps only went up by 2c under load and none when idle. I have also not increased my vcore which is a major heat causer when OC'ing. I run a Fop32 + Global win 7200mm fan that is driving my wife nutz.

Got my fans today.

Realized I only had one plug on my MB so now I will have to get a plug to run it off a powe supply line.

Didnt come with any bolts? to mount it. Have to get that also.

lol havin fun yet