$177 to spend

Guest Inferno

Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guests

Alrighty....this is my problem....I have a awesome PC....awsome mobo, proc, vid card, ram and 1 80 and 1 40 gig hard drive. i have a 48 18 48 cd drive....no sound card...but i use headphones.....

My problem: I have $177 dollar to spend...my dads allowing me this for B-Day. He said i can get anyhting i want for this...anything over $200 i have to make up the diff.

Plan A: I really have $200 to spend...$23 going to new headphones. anyways....PLan A was A 160 Gig HD and 9200 for my old PC....dad shot that down...

Plan B: 160 Gig Hd and headphones...thats it

Plan C: 120 Gig Hd and headphones with something else for nice price..........Mouse/Keyboard

PLan D: 120 Gig HD and headphones

Plan E: just headphones and wait till Xmas.

What would you guys do...and if you see any other combos im missing lemme know....thanks

GC Alumni

I'd say Plan C

still getting a good amount of space anyways because 40 gigs isnt enough (from my past experiences with computers...)

LMAO, i still remember the time I had the 580 meg hard drive for my very first computer... thats when DOOM was just new... (yes, that long ago... just think how the gaming world evolved since then... :) )

Edited by JackieChan

Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guests

What if you only had to pick between plan B and Plan D? $135 for 160gig $102 for 120.....

If you have enough hard drive space and your motherboard sound is less than the nForce Soundstorm setup I'd consider an OEM Audigy2 soundcard (or something equal).

New headphones are a great idea, are you getting ones with an integral mic? If not, I'd consider spending even more on a higher quality set from a music store.

If you have broadband and no firewall, there's always that. I suggest a Linksys BEFSR41.

Antivirus software? Some don't have it but should, get an OEM version.

I'd go with some Plantronics Headphones.

ALOT of ppl in this community use them and for the price they CAN'T be beat.

The Audio 90's can be found online for as cheap as $16 brand new (how much I paid for mine) and I was AMAZED at the sound difference when I got these things...

plus they have built in mic and built in volume controls.

You can get a 120gb HD (and a GOOD one) for about $90 on newegg.com....

then with the leftover you could EASILY get a logitech wireless keyboard and mouse (get the MX700) and be under $200 still.

so that's what I'd do.

*edit*

links:

Hard Drives on newegg

look at the very bottom, cordless keyboard and MX700 for $70 now have someone (chuckleslove is who found it for me) find the link for the $16 .Audio 90 Headphones and you got it all.

Edited by Playaa/Pselus

Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guests

the $23 for the headphones would be the .90 Audio ones by Plantronics. It does have a Mic. And the sound on them is is awesome! Ya i was thinking about a SB Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 chan. But i cant work it into the price...

I have 30 gigs lef ton my 80 gig....but if i need to reformat...im gonna lose lots - o - movies.

The onboard sound is Real Tek or something like that Its a gigabyte 8knxp board P4.

See the problem with getting th sound card...i have boston speakers from Gateway...so....I dont really know. I also thought if you have headphones, it wont make a difference w/ or w/o a soundcard.

I have anti virus softeware and a Router.

btw, sound card DOES make a BIG difference in sound....but I used those .Audio 90's with my onboard sound and they were AMAZING anyway...then I went up to Audigy 2 Platinum and it got even better.

*edit*

read my post above again

Edited by Playaa/Pselus

My sound card went out 6 months ago and I used the onboard realtek sound for a month until I replaced it because I couldn't stand the poor sound. Sound is often overlooked. A better sound card will give you better sound, either through speakers or headphones.

DVD burners - I'm still non-plussed. A spare hard drive and a $15 removable drive tray seems more usable to me for backing up.

Homer,Nov 26 2003, 01:38 PM] DVD burners - I'm still non-plussed.  A spare hard drive and a $15 removable drive tray seems more usable to me for backing up.

unless your backing up x-box games :)

wait if your doing that you should already have at least a 80 HD in your xbox so nvermind.

Hey Inferno what kind of monitor do you have??

Click

Find 50 bucks, you will be in love with a 22 in flat CRT (flat screen CRTs own Flat panel LCD's)

or if someone wants to They can Paypal me 120+ shipping cost and Ill send you my flat 19 in CRT :P

Edited by NOFX

Sony DVD Burner (all 4 types) $165

i dont see dvd-RAM

:D

and the 510a rox...but then again so does the one maggy, long, and i purchased (now $131).

NEWEGG RULES! (and rima.com for media)

I picked up the LG DVD Burner that was reviewed on TOM's hardware for 150 bucks on ebay. That has DVD-Ram so i'm happy. Luckily it was a great choice and Tom's reccommended it.

Sennheiser headphones are awsome. I would not sugest using onboard sound for them tho. I have apair ofr HD570's and love em. I say just go buy Final Fantasy X-2 and waste ur life away for the next 40 hrs playing it D: .

Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guests

Right now i use a Flat Panel. Works great, awesome for lans, awesome for games too....seems to sharpen the picture.

Ok fellas, and gals, i think ive made up my mind, right now im going with Headphones HD and Possibly a sound card. Now i need all your help. Which seems to be the best sound card out right now...for around $80...i saw that Audigy 2 ZS but a firend at school today told me it wasnt rated good for games....he said the Hercules one was...Whats you opinion?

Also im looking at the 133 MB tranfser and the 100 MB transfer on the HD, now i know segate is a good brand along with maxtor and WD. The 133 MB is the Maxtor...but i was talking to someone online...forgot who...and they said that Maxtor wasnt all that good...so what do oyu guys think?

Edited by Inferno

Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guests

Here i got the links for the Sound cards....http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?description=29-102-162&DEPA=1 Audigy 2 Zs

Or this

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...rtby=14&order=1 The $65.00 one.

Ive also heard these are good

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?...n=&Order=priceD

The $75 dollar one. What do you guys think? Im really lost when it comes to this sound stuff.

There is very few Hard drive manufactors in the world, Western digital, Seagate, Maxtor and maybe a few more, So there really isnt a generic hard drive. If the specs are the same on the hard drive, They are going to be about the same/perform the same no matter who the manufactor is. Its all preference, I like Western Digital :)

Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guests

hehehe, good point....but, i can put all my movies and all my music = about 50 gigs maybe 60 gigs....put that all on my 120, take out 40, get my old gateway working.

Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guest Inferno
Guests

HEY EVERYONE! I MADE MY CHOICE!

Im getting my headphones Plantronics .90 audio! 120 gig SeaGate HD! Audigy 2 ZS sound card! and!!!! Call of Duty! w00t!!

Thanks all of you for your help! i really appreciate it. Thanks!