Buddha quote

Playaa

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it,

or who said it, even if I have said it unless it

agrees with your reason and your own common sense.

~ Buddha ~

I took this out of Azazel's signature...

those sort of views are why I think people need to understand what Frank Perretti refers to as a "fixed point of reference"...and that F.P.O.R. must be outside and above you or it cannot be fixed.

Basically for what Buddha said there...if my my reason and common sense it's ok for me to kill say, Dweezil because his post count is higher than mine...then it is perfectly ok according to the cosmo's because my reason and common sense is all that matters to me anyway.

am I the only one who sees something wrong there?

I see what you are saying Playaa but your common sense will tell you it's wrong. That statement to me is basically saying that there will be people telling you stuff that might not be what's best for you I guess. He's maybe saying he could be wrong? After researching the quote a bit I found this

"There are a lot of people out there with axes to grind. Your Curmudgeon is one of them. To the extent that you trust any of us, disdaining the hard work of checking our facts against alternate sources and measuring our logic against relevant standards of comparison, you do yourself an intellectual disservice, one that can be fatal to a republic such as ours. For each of us has a point of view to push. And we're as fallible as any man, and as likely to believe what we're told simply because it confirms us in our prejudices. "

on This page http://palaceofreason.com/Curmudgeon/whos_..._authority.html

A little more reasonable now?

I see what you are saying Playaa but your common sense will tell you it's wrong.

then why are there murderers? Why are there men who kill others and DON'T believe it's wrong? Who are we to tell them they're wrong in their own lives? What about an insane person who kills someone and in his mind it's a totally justifiable thing...are they wrong or right?

I'm not trying to make any point here...I'm just thinking out loud.

(edited)

My FPOR is the scriptures. God wants faith but He doesn't make us have blind faith. Anything we are told should be weighed and measured against the scriptures. If it doesn't line up, then it can be discarded (in regards to doctrine).

So, in regards to the Buddha quote, my "reason and common sense" is not the final judge but rather the test of the scriptures is.

Oh yeah, and...why you want to kill me Playaa? :(

Edited by dwEEziL

And most killers know that what they did was wrong. They either like doing wrong things, or lose their minds and common sense for some reason(passion, anger etc). Yet other killers kill because they think its the Right thing to do. For example, and Very devout Christian man is raising his family and has his mother-in-law living with them. He is somewhat successful and provides well for his family. His kids start growing up(high school) and he starts having some troubles at his job. He fears he will not be able to provide as well as he should in the years coming. His kids are also "going astray" by getting involved with more "worldly" things like drama club and other things that could apparently lead them away from the lord. No big deal really. But the father is freaking out. He decides to kill them All while they are still saved guaranteeing them into heaven before he leads them down the wrong path to hell... True story! Makes sense to me.. As a parent, you don't want to think that your Own actions could lead an offspring to burn for eternity. Thoughts?

Wow, nice thread. Hi everyone. I never thought my Budda quote would stir such conversation. :) Anyway, since Playaa linked this in the polital forums where I usually am, I thought I'd come on over and participate.

My feeling is that we, each and every last one of us, are a creation of God. As God's creations, we are also part of God, and therefore are endowed with access to our creator. That access comes from within. Many people use prayer (talking to God), meditation (listening to God), or other techniques (channeling, etc.) to communicate with our creator in order to obtain guidance in their lives. Granted, we are all different and so this is a highly variable and personal thing I am talking about which defies description. Whether you believe it is your conscience or divine inspiration, our wisdom comes from within and should be consulted when reading messages and thoughts of others. God can help us decide if what we are reading is right for us at this time or not. That is why I liked that quote and keep it in my signature. :)

interesting point aZ. What god/God do you believe in? Is it the God of the Bible? Torah? Q'uran(sp)? If its the God of the bible, I'd like to hear you justification/referances for how we are a part of God. Not that I couldnt follow your logic or that I dont necissarilly believe the same thing, but its a interesting idea. Let me know?

jane

In my very humble opinion, my god is all of those gods, because that god is the same god. I find it silly that we have religions that actually act as though they are correct and everyone else is wrong. We are all one. We all inhabit this small planet in space. What one does affects, however minutely, all of us. The afterlife is slowly being scientifically proven and we are all beginning to wake up to that little inner voice that has been speaking to us all along. Follow your inner guides and stop judging and worrying what others are doing.

In my very humble opinion, my god is all of those gods, because that god is the same god.  I find it silly that we have religions that actually act as though they are correct and everyone else is wrong.  We are all one.  We all inhabit this small planet in space.  What one does affects, however minutely, all of us.  The afterlife is slowly being scientifically proven and we are all beginning to wake up to that little inner voice that has been speaking to us all along.  Follow your inner guides and stop judging and worrying what others are doing.

Yes. I am completely with you. Religion to me is a very personal thing. "What one does affects, however minutely, all of us". I also believe in one god that is all of the gods and is the same god. We are so different yet the same. Each of us have our own ways of communicating with god. Therefore to me, it is quite personal.

Who made up the rules?

that totally depends on your view Az...and I see some holes in your thinking. Btw, I'm assuming you're implying man made the rules.

if you believe in a god, a supreme being then do you think he really just "happened into the job"? If there is one god and he is the ruler of the cosmos and all of it (and he knows the answer is 42) then you gotta understand that he/she/it is the one who set down some guidelines. I'm of the view that there IS one god and he DID set down guidelines and he used men to tell other men those guidelines.

And I find it very silly when people tell me that what I believe to be right and wrong is just rules made up by men before me so I shouldn't put any weight on them...and yet those same people implicitly trust their history books...

:rolleyes:

Who made up the rules?

that totally depends on your view Az...and I see some holes in your thinking. Btw, I'm assuming you're implying man made the rules.

if you believe in a god, a supreme being then do you think he really just "happened into the job"? If there is one god and he is the ruler of the cosmos and all of it (and he knows the answer is 42) then you gotta understand that he/she/it is the one who set down some guidelines. I'm of the view that there IS one god and he DID set down guidelines and he used men to tell other men those guidelines.

And I find it very silly when people tell me that what I believe to be right and wrong is just rules made up by men before me so I shouldn't put any weight on them...and yet those same people implicitly trust their history books...

History books? lol. History is written by the guy who won the fight.

Who made up the rules?

Wow...thanks for pointing out the holes in my thinking. I don't know what I would ever do without you. :zombie: