The Passion of The Christ

Fatty

This is equal to making your kid watch a 2 hour beating of say Rodney King with supposedly more meaning

It is? You have not seen it. Word has it the torture totals 45 minutes, not 2 hours. I am not sure 45 minutes of a torture scene compare to days playing Max Payne 2 or countless other games. Regardless I do not think children should see this movie though since it is R rated.

We already knew Jesus was supposedly beaten.

And we knew the Titanic sank and the 1980 Hockey team won, and on and on. Because we know something means we cannot bring it to the big screen?

They drew all of their material from the gospels. Nowhere else. And nowhere in the gospels does it dictate how many lashings, how many kicks, punches etc. Lets get all the way outside the box?

At no time has Gibson said this is the WAY it happened. He said this was his vision of how it happened. It is not a documentary, it is a dramatization.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I'm very interested in peoples opinions of the movie. I won't go see it cause I only hit the theater once every year or two but I may rent it when it's on video.

Perhaps a new topic can be created for reviews:)

Soul, I'm not saying the movie is pointless. I've just heard people saying, regarding the violence, that it's ok because that is how it happened. We don't know that. You're reading me wrong brother. People are saying it's ok because it's historily accurate. Well Robin Quivers said she saw it and took 2 naps during and each time she woke up to Jesus being beaten so that's what I'm basing these statements on. A kid is going to see it as a person getting beaten badly. i don't they they fully understand what it is meant to symbolize which is supposed to be the bigger picture with this movie.. Sure youngsters can quote scripture, but do you think they make all the right associations?

And you keep bringing up video games. This movie is meant to be realistic. Video games are Not.

Edited by Watchtower

all I can say is I agree children shouldn't see it.

and actually I haven't seen it and don't really have plans to.

most Christians are going to see it to get further understanding into what happened. I'm a pansie and I don't think I can handle what happened.

Some people will use this just like they use summer camps like CIY (Christ In Youth) or Super Summer and other Christian retreats...it will fire them up and 3 weeks later there will be no difference in their lives.

I am one of those people. The ONLY thing that ever changes how I act and live life is me truly wanting to change and working at it (i.e. the thread about losing weight) so the only thing this movie will do is depress me that Jesus went through so much torture and pain for just saying be nice to everyone (alude to Douglas Adams quote)

that it's ok because that is how it happened.

The basic outline is correct, that is how it happened.

People are saying it's ok because it's historily accurate.

It is. Jesus was tortured and crucified. This is the belief of 80+% of the USA.

Well Robin Quivers said she saw it and took 2 naps during and each time she woke up to Jesus being beaten so that's what I'm basing these statements on

Must have been short naps. Although I am not sure you will be heariing her anytime soon. Stern has been pulled from the airwaves.

This movie is meant to be realistic. Video games are Not

As you like to point out, can make the distinction? Many games are becoming more and more lifelike. Look at Max Payne 2, it is quite lifelike. Vice City is as well. Lots of new games are going this route.

wow some heated debate this morning. Well I guess this is what Ill say about it Watch.

It was accurate to what I read out of the Gospels(as far as how they beat and with what they beat)

It was more moving than anything Ive ever seen(mostly because of how the visual pertains to my faith).

It was gruesome. terribbly so. I dont know If I would bring children to it. But if you can stomach see a mans flesh ripped off, then yeah go see this movie. If fact go see it anyeways. The point of the moive was not to show his beatings. It was to show why he was beaten. From his perspective. It really called down the fruits of his ministry and showed why Jesus did what he did. Because He didnt want us to go through the same thing for eternity. Because He wanted to give us a chance to see him. but Ultimately this movie is about He love for the world. It shows, in no uncertain ways, that He did this so He could spend eternity with his children: us.

See the moive if you can find tickets. Shut youre eyes during the whipping scene. But listen to the words.

BTW, in filming they actually once hit Jim Curviezel with the Cat&9tails, accidently. The makeup artists then had an even better(real) picture of what these things did to you.

See the movie with an open mind. Listen to why Jesus took the road to the cross. Learn from His message of Love.

jane

ps Satan was portryed by a chick named Rosilin so-and-so. I saw the name in the credits, so yes, it was satan, not a jew. And watch out for Judas, its creepy.

jane, again

do you think it is wrong for jewish children to watch movies of the holocaust which depicts real events in history to show the struggle of their people and instill a newfound and deeper sense of self and faith to them? Do you think its wrong for children to see a movie showing the struggle of jesus and what he went through for us? I think Christian parents take children to see the movie because they want to give some substance to their children to correspond with what they are told on sundays...the movie is a visualization which strengthens our beliefs

I'm a pansie and I don't think I can handle what happened.

You already know tho PLayaa..

Soul, Howard only got pulled in a few regions.. How do you think I heard it this morning? w00t! That darn FCC.. Janet ruined it. Anyhow..

Videogames. A person goes into a video game to be entertained. Knowing it's not supposed to be real life. A person goes to see this movie to be "moved". To "reaffirm" their beliefs. But we already know that Jesus was treated horribly before he died. Why are you arguing about this? lol And you said "Some like to let their kids play Counterstrike and other violent games". Everyone think about this for a second. Would you say that parents run out to the store to buy the latest, most gory game for their 10 year olds? This is what soul is saying here by equating the parents running out on opening day and taking their kids to see this movie. More like the parents of the kids that play these games are more lenient and don't necessarily Want them to be playing them, they just have a problem saying no. Cmon Soul.

Historicaly accurate. We could assume it's 100%. That would be stupid. We know passed down versions of the stories. And this is Mel's "idea" on how it happened.. Was he there?

Puppy, it's not about the message, it's about the delivery.. And No, I wouldn't want my 10 year old to watch Schindlers List(although it's nowhere near Passion in terms of plain violence). Do you think they actually percieve that "deeper message"? I think it would be important for them to see, but at an age where they could understand and appreciate it, thats all..

You already know tho PLayaa..

massive difference between thinking about it in your mind and watching a very realistic reenactment of it...

why else do you think people watch movies more than read books? we're a visual culture...next time you want to play a video game try just doing it in your head....not really the same effect

:P

But we play video games for different reasons..... I know what you are saying.. I'm just addressing the notion that this movie isn't really opening any eyes, just making them cringe in agony.. = not the best thing for little kids.. :)

Edited by Watchtower

funny part Watch...is that you've been arguing with yourself for these last few posts...read soul's first post on this page...I quote:

Regardless I do not think children should see this movie though since it is R rated.

I don't think anyone here thinks this is a movie for children for the same reason we have "childrens church" every sunday at 99% of churches in this country....because kid's don't get it...so we just try to entertain them until they're old enough to get it...that's when we indoctrinate them into our cult of hatred and debauchery.

o0o

oh wait...no that's my Thursday practices...sorry, mix up my religions all the time

:=

This is what soul is saying here by equating the parents running out on opening day and taking their kids to see this movie. More like the parents of the kids that play these games are more lenient and don't necessarily Want them to be playing them, they just have a problem saying no. Cmon Soul.

No. I am saying that it is up to the parents to make this decision. As I said earlier, I do not think any children should be seeing this movie though. I also, since I have kids, think it would be worse for them to let them play a realistic game for weeks on end instead of watch an R rated movie one time. It is the parent's job to make sure neither happen though.

Historicaly accurate. We could assume it's 100%. That would be stupid. We know passed down versions of the stories. And this is Mel's "idea" on how it happened.. Was he there?

What are you arguing here? That because it is not 100% accurate no one should see it? Or that no one should claim it is 100% accurate since no one was there? So far everyone I know says it matches the gospels very accurately. Like I said earlier though, this is not a documentary, it is a dramatization to drive home the sacrifice Jesus made for all our sins.

/envoke debate protection

Our church is combining with another church and renting out a theatre to get a sneak preview of The Passion.  We're nearly set to see it on Tuesday, the 24th.  I'm very excited about this.  We have Tuesday night community (which is basically dinner and many seperate Bible studies) and we're all just going to the movie instead.

Anyone else looking forward to seeing it?

I heard Paul Harvey wrote a nice piece about it....has anyone caught that?

this fall through? was there internal debates? not financial viable ? just curious. thats all.... delete if u want...

yea watch, i must have interpreted this wrong. I don't agree (for the sake of the violence) that small children should see it, because they would misinterpret and the message would be lost, but for those ages 14+ I see no problem with it, most kids that age know their position on Christianity (or somewhat of their beliefs) and know this type of violence from that of their normal WWE mondays and violent HBO flix