My cable company is stealing from me!

gOOters

So I mail back the digital cable box. I am changing apartments. The cable company (the one I HAVE to use as I live in an apartment complex) tells me that the cable box is missing an "access card". I'm like wth is an access card?

Apparently it allows a person to DL whatever movies they want to. It records the movies so that you can pay for them in your monthly bill. I didnt even know what one was until this conversation with the cable company.

I had some service done on my cable about 9 months ago. I was unable to order movies after that...but I didnt care as I could just goto Blockbuster or whatever.

I said to the cable company "dont you think it is a possibility that someone from your company (the tech) or my complex (they mailed it) could have taken it...or the tech forgot to install a new one?"

They said "No...that will be $165 or we will report you to a credit agency" So...at $165, what would be the advantage of me pulling the freking card out anyway?!?!?!

What would/should I do? I think I will tr5y to leverage my apartment complex management against the cable company first, if they wont budge, I guess I will need to call a credit agency and ask what the ramifications will be if I dispute their claim.

The best part...this might mean that I dont get cable for the next 15 months?!!? I just signed a new lease at a bigger apartment in the same complex. :(:angry:

the "benefit" to taking it out is that you could have replaced it with a modified card that would allow you to get free pay per view movies and all channels...people do that so the cable company has a valid point...it sucks for you but I don't think you have a leg to stand on in this one...

:(

Well, I've got good news and bad news.

First the good: You can get out of paying that, you simply have to spend the time talking to the right people (in person, not via phone). I'd go down to the cable company and talk to a manager. I'm sure hes more interested in keeping a customer than getting $165 (btw, 4 times what the darn card costs). Explain to him the situation...you didn't even know what the card was, etc. Hopefully he will decide that a happy customer is better than a tinkled off one minus a few bucks.

Bad news: You're responsible for the card. Sorry to say it, but when you recieved the box and signed the paperwork, you took responsibility for the darn thing. If push comes to shove, you owe them the "value" that they place on that card. There's nothing you can do if they attempt to make you. However, if they make you pay the money, I would seriously consider dropping your cable company completely. Get sattellite cable or do without. Get DSL, its atleast as good as a cable modem.

For future reference though...don't EVER let someone you don't know have access to your stuff without being under your supervision. And also, when returning the property like the cable box that you have on loan, return it yourself in person, rather than trusting someone else with it. If your office drops it and breaks it, its your responsibility, not theirs.

Tough lesson bro, hope you learn it. Good luck.

Edited by White Knight

What's to learn? That I am on the hook for something regardless of who has access to it or weather or not have visibility for some internal part of my cable box?

I guess I have learned not to allow the cable company to work on my stuff without me in the room watching for an access card.

Thanks for the thoughts though White. I think I am going to send a certified letter to the cable company disputing the charges. I have been told that this will cover my trail and I am able to dispute any credit report made by the cable company successfully.

Oh, I thought this thread was something about Comcast jacking up rates from $42 to $56 a month for internet cable so they can buy

Mickey Mouse

This is supposed to benefit me, the customer, how? I'm sure they'll offer MORE than the 66 BILLION they already have offered and have to jack the rates up even more in an effort to "provide more complete & integrated service and a better experience to the end user" or some such crapola.

:o

hate comcast with a passion....

we dropped cable nov 28th. We had no more cable, none. Then we get a bill for the period of dec 10th thru jan 10th. i still dont know why....

Edited by jane

@home = 6.6mbit, $30/mo

bought by:

ATT = 1.5mbit, $36/mo

bought by:

Comcast = 2.3mbit $42/mo., now up to $56/mo.

As you can see consolidation and takeovers have helped the end user out. If Comcast does buy Disney I predict:

Comcast/Disney = 2.8mbit, $79.95/mo.

What's to learn? That I am on the hook for something regardless of who has access to it or weather or not have visibility for some internal part of my cable box?

Yes! You are on the hook for that. If you let the cable guy work while you went to the other room and took the card out, yes its your butte...Just like if he'd yoinked your girlfriends diamond earings. You signed a document, admissible in court, that said you would be responsible for that box and return it in full working condition.

I guess I have learned not to allow the cable company to work on my stuff without me in the room watching for an access card.

Yes! Exactly. The other lesson here, is if something stops workin, especially after one of their people work on it...call and complain ASAP. Covers your butte.

If you had called after the guy had left, and said "Hey I've ordered movies before, but now I can't, whats the deal" and they have records of you purchasing movies in the past, you prolly wouldn't be in this perdicament. They guy who yoinked your card would be screwed.

I think I am going to send a certified letter to the cable company disputing the charges.

Thats normal in disputing charges, but it won't help you man. You signed a document acknowledging responsibility for that box. Its broke, you owe. Sorry dude.

I have been told that this will cover my trail and I am able to dispute any credit report made by the cable company successfully.

Only if they have wrongfully charged you.

I'm not tryin to be a tool here (in the Poly forum yes, not here), I'm tryin to be honest and help out dude. You know you my boy.

sorry to hear bout your luck goot.

as a side note i had comcast over the summer for 3 months and paid 20 bucks a month.

It was a much better deal than what charter offers.

Comcast was awsome too, far as channels and speed of internet goes.

Depends on where you live i guess.

And what cable company uses cards?

i thought that was old school.

At least you guys have access to good ISP. I am stuck using one and only one provider...to the tune of $60/mo. I dont know what my exact speed is but I lag alot and I REALLY spike alot. I think they have like 90 apartments sharing each T1 or something like that. Plus, I suspect that a couple of my neighbors are really heavy users, like running servers or something. :angry:

You could be a total jerk... well, this is what I'd do because I am a jerk. Check to see if you can access other computers sharing the line. it shouldn't be that hard. Then you could just send Virri across the network in hopes that they will change service... or finally decide that they need to do something more "drastic" like get a few extra lines for access. Heck, you could even install some AI, and maybe Skynet can take over and blow up all those ISP that suck.... Oh wait, there goes my active imagination again?! :D Seriously though, i wouldn't recommend any of what I said... you can get into serious trouble over that. But, I think i'd go talk to the cable company in person like was recommended. I only thought sat. had cards in them. :unsure:

I've dealt with these situations. My advice is always to first move up the chain of command. Every person has a boss, and that boss has a boss. You're more likely to get a positive response once you get to the "it's better to have a happy customer" mindset people, which may be 2 or 3 rungs up the ladder. But definitely the first route to take.

The second route is to dig out your old contract, or get a copy of the one from the cable company. First, confirm that you even signed for this piece of equipment. I'd place odds it's prolly not listed and that only the box is. If it's not, inform the company of it. If they insist that that was part of the equipment or if it's listed, then take them to small claims court for the card. First, you didn't get all the service you paid for, and second they did not live up to their end of the contract by providing the card. This will cost you most likely around $50 to file, but it will get their attention that you are serious. The benefits of small claims court are that you usually will be only in front of a magistrate in an informal setting, you do not need an attorney, and, at least if you're semi-literate, you'll make a better case for yourself than any attorney could. Downside of this is that if you lose, you've lost your filing fee plus the $165.

Third, state attorney generals offices generally deal with this type of thing. Not sure of the details here, cause I've never dealt with it, but there is that route also.

Finally, and there are a lotta 'ifs' here, if they put this on your credit report, and if Texas allows for a defamation of credit type tort suit, you may want to contact an attorney and pursue it that way. Damages might be an issue, but I'm sure any savvy lawyer could figure that out.

Take all this with a grain of salt of course cause there are differences in law between states. But this is the approach I'd use in Ohio. I'm also prolly not thinking of everything as I'm prepping for a trial atm. :)

Thx X. I have already started up the chain of command (if they would just call me back now). And I am preparing my case by digging up my contract...documenting everything and sending a certified letter to the cable company contianing said documentation.

I dont think I will go to the state attorney or anything. I might file with BBB. I believe that if I document this and dispute any credit report, I will actually be all right.

Thank you for your time X! Good advise.

I wish I woulda been a lawyer :disgust:

I have already started up the chain of command (if they would just call me back now).

heh, they aren't gonna be in a rush to call a customer with a dispute...you need to frequently call them and even go visit the offices and bug them in person...and don't forget to look imposing.

I have already started up the chain of command (if they would just call me back now).

heh, they aren't gonna be in a rush to call a customer with a dispute...you need to frequently call them and even go visit the offices and bug them in person...and don't forget to look imposing.

Bah I hate wearing suits :P