Farcry

Crowbar

I just played the first two levels of Farcry. It's pretty freakin cool. So bright and open. And you people who said it would "break your computer" can just eat your words. :P It runs fine on my GeForce 2. However, it'll run better when my Radeon 9800 Pro gets here Monday. :D:rolleyes::lol:^_^

I'll post up some screenshots to show the difference. In the meantime, get the game, it's sweet.

I just tried out a LAN game by myself. Multiplayer maps look pretty cool. Similar to Eve of Destruction, bridges, rivers, jungle, etc.

The multiplayer modes are Free for All, Team Deathmatch and Assault. Assault looks the most fun. There are checkpoints that each team must capture and hold, much like the Half Life mod, Firearms. (a very good mod, btw)

You pick your loadout before spawning by selecting one of three classes, then choosing between a small selection of guns for that class. each class has a desert eagle, a machette (a wrench in the case of the engineer/medic class) and two automatic weapons (the sniper only gets one rifle). The sniper rifle (looks like an awp) seems fairly balanced, mostly good for spotting enemies, when zoomed in at 18x it moves in wide arcs making a steady shot impossible. That may change with a better graphics card though.

Overall, I think multiplayer on Farcry will be fun. Game's due to hit stores March 24th.

TeK
(edited)

Yeah, "got" it yesterday. It runs exceptionaly well on my ti4600 with settings at medium and not rly any slow down. Liking the game, has sort of a deus ex type feal in single player. Its not set in the future but i can see that might be how it plays out, concept wise. I think people are going to be impressed with it.

Edited by TeK

I've played through about 5 levels, I love it. Awsome graphics, great AI, good story, good soundtrack, the game really pulls me in. I'd post some screen shots, but the uploader's not working.

Guys, this game is awsome! The single most beautiful game I have ever had the pleasure to play. :love: The basic premise is that you're boat was blown up, your girl taken captive, and you're now being hunted by a mercenary army. You're island hopping using patrol boats, jeeps and hang gliders trying to stay alive while you fight off these mercs, and trying to figure out what the hell is going on, at the same time.

The AI is the best I've ever seen. Enemies will use cover extremely well, call for backup, fall back until that backup gets there, crawl through the jungle and flank you, and even co-ordinate with nearby boats and helicopters to flush you out.

As I said, the graphics are amazing! No longer are birds just black specs 300 yards away. They are different varieties of colorful tropical fowl that swoop down and fly amongst the trees, then soar back out over the water. Stay prone in the grass for a few minutes and you'll probably see a dragon fly or butterfly flitting around a nearby bush. Take a swim in the oh-so-inviting sea, and treat your eyes to an ocean that is alive with a huge variety of fish and water plants. Large schools of small silver fish, smaller groups of tropical species, larger fish swimming alone further out. Sea plants that sway with the waves are at the bottom, in reds and greens.

The battles are fought on the water, in old carriers and bunkers, but mostly in the island jungles. Crawling through the thickest folliage of any game on the market with a machete drawn gets the adrenaline pumping. Especially when you're being chased by 15 armed mercenaries, a jeep with a few more, and a helicopter keeps buzzing overhead making your cover sway so violently that you're afraid you'll be exposed.

In addition to the single player story, there is also multiplayer, in the form of standard deathmatch, team deathmatch, and assault. I have not been able to test the multiplayer yet, as I do not have a CD key. Assault looks like it will be the best mode, though I wish they had included a few other modes. Assault pits two teams against each other, and the objective is to capture and hold various flags around the map. Very much like the Half Life mod, Firearms.

Also included in the DVD, is the CryEngine "Sandbox". This is the game's editor, which is said to be extremely easy to use, and very versitile. I have only poked around it a tiny bit, but it seems that it is what they say it is. Hopefully many good 3rd party maps and mods will be springing up soon to make up for the seeming lack of multiplayer options in the original game.

The game was scheduled to hit stores yesterday, though it may not be everywhere yet. It's worth whatever it costs. I will be buying a copy, I recommend it to you all as well. Below are some screen shots that I have taken while playing. The only thing done to them was to re-size them. I have not doctored anything else.

Hang gliding

hangglide.jpg

They were in my way

deadmen.jpg

Letting my enemies know I'm here

explosion.jpg

Taking a swim

swim.jpg

The game has the unique and very cool option of changing the rendering mode. There are 5 options: default, improved, paradise, cold and toon. Below is the toon rendering.

toon1.jpg

toon2.jpg

(edited)

I loved the demos and im gonna try to buy it today.

Best buy didnt have it last night though

:(

I cant wait.

I did get UT2k4 last night and it's an excellent multiplayer game.

Edited by Birdman

Thats why god created DVD burners so u can download them slaphappy :D .

Its good. Like I said before, screenshots show it, even runs nice on my 4600. I'm about 3/4 of the way through. The aliens are going to kill me now!

Thats why god created DVD burners so u can download them slaphappy  .

if everyone was like that, you wouldn't have any games. 8P):D

pirating an OS is a diff story. im content with winxp for now, and Bill Gates is a very big man, he dont need my money. Bill Gates and Wal-Mart could take over the world :boing:

Homer,Mar 26 2004, 07:33 PM] Boohoo to warezers on this one.  :boo:

I just bought it and played some MP, I'll get to the SP game soon enough.  The MP is great!

Got it today as well....SP experience logged for me though

is a very pretty game and fun too

ill pick up farcry when it hits the 9.99 rack at target :)

I cant afford games that high. I'm shelling out the HL2 50.00 price cause I loved the whole series.

On the subject of Far, The graphics are sweet. Even better than unreal 2 the awakening. Hope my 5600 ultra will pull it when I someday get it.

Aug

The two Demo's combined are only about 1% of the total gaming I'v e expereinced so far with FarCry, and I'm not even done with the game yet. The levels/islands/complexes/whatever are many and varied. This game is much, much larger than I thought it would be. I was thinking last night that it is kind of Half-life meets Rainbox Six.

I think you can set the body disappear time.

Yes you can set it, and I bought it too, so worth the $40, I would pay $50 if I had to, the game requires so much, but the graphics are so worth it, I love this game, I'm on the part with the research facility.