You be the doctor II

Magruter

(edited)

Ouch! Barbed fish hooks are no fun. They aren't really designed to be removed (easily).

On the same note as the "how stupid could I have been to do this" thing, at my previous job I embedded the cutting teeth of a tape gun into my right index finger. The pattern of the teeth literally made my finger look like a jack-o-lantern's mouth. If I can find a picture (maybe one on the girlfriends computer) I will put it up. Just a warning though, the teeth on a tape gun = very very sharp! ;) (Sharp enough to slice into you without you even feeling it.)

Edited by General J

Ouch, general! I wouldn't mind seeing that, tho. Had a friend staple-gun his finger to something once. Right through. Big staple gun, though.

Mag, I hope this is something you found on the net and not something that's currently sticking out of your thumb. If so, doctor. Or for the D.I.Y. Macguyver out there, push it in further and use the curve in the hook to rotate and push the barb back out. Snip the barb with wirecutters and then pull the now barbless hook back through the hole it went in. Then, lots of water, soap, disinfect and bandage.

And see a doctor.

Ouch. *squeemish*

Yeah i had the dang thing removed right after it happend. I was fishing by myself in some remote part of the mississippi. Just catching crazy amounts of bass, i caught about 12 bass in an hour before i hooked myself. anyways... I freaked out when i saw the hook in my finger, quick stepped on the bass, popped the two hooks out of him, kicked him in the water, then cut my line. Just in pure frustration, i tried to pull the hook out myself. I tried with my fingers and then grabbed the pliers. I tried as hard as i could to get it out, i mean almost passed out tried. But from what the doctor said, human tissue is a little more complex than a large mouth bass. Just a note if you every hook yourself DO NOT try to remove, go to the doctor... ...I made things much worse when i tried to yank it out myself. But hey i have a good picture and a copy of my X-ray (which i wish that i could scan. It's funnier than hell) I'm not discouraged from fishing i will return, just with a less complicated lure this time.

Nice job g00t, you're the big wiener of the day. :P

Same thing happened to me last year, was reaching into the net to grab the bass in the mouth, it flopped all over the place and the hook on the lure found my thumb.

I now always use pliers to hold the lure in place :D

It sure hurts coming out!

No they didn't have to push it through.... ....Thank God. The doctor just made a small cut along the hook, and through a stitch in there for safe keeping.

I was doing dishes on friday when the stitch broke, so i just pulled it out myself, man did that feel like i was burning my finger. Nope but all i well, i'll be 100% by the time FF04 comes around (four more days!!!!!!) I'll bring the x-ray if anyone wants a good laugh.