new kitty

lazarus

(edited)

i just got dante (of the inferno) and he's 8 weeks old

picked up some kitten supplies

litter box, litter, pooper scooper,

water and food bowl, kitten food

some fun toys....anything else im missing?

also, im taking it to the vet tomorrow

is that too soon?

he doesnt have any of his shots and he hasnt been neutered

and is it too soon for that too?

need some help here b4 i accidently kill the poor thing.

also, should i get him de-clawed?

he's not gonna be an outside cat.

Edited by lazarus

Klyde, ask your vet about the neutering, I think it was 6 months though. As far as the de-clawing goes, I would definitly have those fronts taken out since he is going to be an indoor cat, it will save you money in the long run. Drapes and furniture just seem to cry out "scratch me" to the cats.

As far as toys, one to get that both of you will get enjoyment out of is a laser pointer. Man it's a hoot to play with the cat having it chase the red dot around. Congrats on getting the new pet, nice name too (but are you sure that it's not from the whole mallrats, clerks, jay and silent bob, etc.... series?) :unsure::laughcry:

We actually have a new kitten that my dad found up in a tree meowing in the pouring rain. He's black, so I named him darkness after the Chappelle Show Rick James skit. We now have 4 cats. He's already litter box trained, which is sweet. If you want a fun toy, try something simple like a taffy wrapper. He was bugging the crap outta me one day, so I ate a piece of taffy, wadded up the wrapper, and threw it on the ground for him. It kept him busy for about 3 hours! He loves the things. My mom even picked him up a new toy filled with catnip today, and he stopped playing with it after 5 minutes and went back to the taffy wrapper.

I think declawing is cruel(It hurts).. It can also make the cat less confident causing biting and the like.. Especially if you have another animal like a dog.

Just have plenty of scratching posts and a squirt bottle if the kitty starts clawing the couch... :)

we just adopted one two days ago (our second). My wife does a poor job of leaving defenseless animals out on their own.

So anyhow, we have a new guy in the house...he is docile and takes all kinds of crap from our terror of a cat we already had. He also uses the littlerbox...did so right off the bat.

Cats are SOO eazsy, and thats why I like them.

Its a good time for a vet trip. Call around and see if you can get one to do a cheap job. We called around, and since our new cat was a stray, he got all the tests (feline lukemia and feline AIDS) plus vaccinations for about $60. If you are going to have more than one cat, DO THESE TESTS!

Have fun with your new kitty. We got our terror cat some catnip, and he is nuts for it. He seriously gets high...starts panting, jumps straight into walls and goes generally bonkers for the stuff. The other cat gave it a little sniff and turned his nose, lol.

well, i called arond and found a place that has discounts on kittens and such

and when i asked if i could just punch it in the ovaries, she said that was a great idea! :o

and that's from anchorman btw

anyhoo, this kitten really really likes to bite the crap outta me and my gf, well anyone really

do cats go thru a "teething" phase like dogs?

Not sure about the teething. Buttons was very young when I got him (just barely weened if even that) and he already seemed to have his teeth in place. As for the claws, go get you a nail clipper from Wal-mart or a pet store. I suggest regularly clipping the kitten's claws cuz those suckers can...and will...get sharp as a mofo. I think I was clipping my kittens claws every 1-2 weeks.

You do not need to declaw them. Just keep the claws clipped. I've had indoor cats for 13 years now (and had an outdoor for 16 years before that) and none of them were declawed. Our 2 current cats have been trained to stay off the furnature so all we have to do is correct them once in a while from clawing the carpet.

I think 6 months is about right for fixing but it depends on the sex of the cat & the vet. You want to do it soon enough so the cat doesn't get tinkled off after it's done. Actually maybe ours were fixed at 3 months. Shots start right away...course being indoor cats they are not as important...in my opinion.

Another lession I learned. Don't use the canned catfood...OH MY DOES IT STINK WHEN IT COMES BACK OUT!!!! Use dry and mix in some water if the cat has trouble chewing.

Cats are great cause you can leave them for extended periods with nothing but water, food and a litter box. Try that with a dog :P

Just the VERY tip, no more than a millimeter. We have four cats that are mostly indoors and we've never had them declawed or clipped their claws. Sure if you don't give them a scratching post they will scratch off your wallpaper (I know from experience). Just get it a nice little scratching post sprinkled with catnip and you're all good.