Your mouse preferences?

ConGregation

I have been using generic mice for too long. But before I plunk down some money I thought I would tap the vast resource that is the 'Hardware Forum'.

What have you used that you really liked? Is the new Intellimouse Explorer (4.0) any good? Or should I go with the Logitech or other?

What has been your experience with wireless? I have had a couple but found the convenience to not measure up to the annoyance (batter switching, extra click to actually turn it on, etc). So I most likely will go with the 'wired' specie.

Thanks.

i use the wireless IntelliMouse 4.0, upgraded from IntelliMouse 3.0 and love it. It takes 2 AA batteries but last for months. I put 2 new batteries in mine when i bought it and replaced them last week because in the driver i could see battery life was getting low. That was about 6-7 months before needing to replace the batteries.

It fits right into my hand too, its like a perfect fit.

Also in the driver that comes with it gives you options for the 5 buttons, but the neat thing is it has a tab that allows you to see how much battery life is left, and how strong the signal is from the reciever to the mouse.

I dont have to turn mine on and off, i just leave it on all the time and it still lives forever. Give this mouse a try if you have had bad wireless experiences, i was skeptical when i bought it, but im 100% happy with this purchase.

IMO, best mouse on the market.

I just got the Logitech MX700 wireless and love it. In game it is very responsive and never have any problems. With it, you don't have to worry about batteries, because it comes with rechargable ones and the receiver is the charger. It took a little while to configure the setting to control in games, but not too difficult. Just don't buy the mouse and keyboard combo. The receiver cannot handle the controls coming from both and lag alot.

I just got the Logitech MX700 wireless and love it. In game it is very responsive and never have any problems. With it, you don't have to worry about batteries, because it comes with rechargable ones and the receiver is the charger. It took a little while to configure the setting to control in games, but not too difficult. Just don't buy the mouse and keyboard combo. The receiver cannot handle the controls coming from both and lag alot.

does it really? i was heavily considering the combo

I've had the MX700 for some time now and I love it. Have never had lag either. It pops up an indicator on screen when the battery is getting low as well as flashing the LED on the top of the mouse. When you get that warning, you still have about 30 minutes or more before it starts flaking out.

The only issue (and this applies to all wireless devices) is that my mouse flaked out a bit when I was on my cordless phone. Frequency conflict I guess.

From what I have read, the MX510 is great for gaming. Super performance and great design.

IE4.0 gives no specs with its mouse such as "This revolutionary 800-dpi sensor now captures an incredible 5.8 megapixels every second and is able to track up to 15 G's of acceleration. So you get instant response to your fastest movements, with no lag." which is the MX510.

But then again... I am no longer a hardcore gamer. Maybe I should go with the 4.0 and get the tilt wheel and save myself $7. Have to think about this...

O... and any good suggestions for a mouse surface? Do guys still swear by the func pad? I guess I might look into doing something nice but homade... maybe 1/2" MDF with maybe a fiberglass surface or maybe I could just get by with a painted surface.

urethane or fiber glass should work good

high gloss paint will be bad. it will wear off quick and onto you hand and mouse pad. Especially a latex acrylic paint, oil based will might last a little longer but will chalk on you.

semi-gloss and flat paints will have too much drag

you could just staple some cloth onto your desk and use that :P

Using MX500 - best mouse I ever had...unlike previous...MS IntelPoint crap that always got "lost" during rapid movements, logitech just feels great...its also very comfotable and I just love those buttons on the side that let you go back and forth while browsing....cant live w/o those now :(

So yeah...if the difference is 7$ greens...then its definately worth it Revs!