New CyberCafe

yErMoTH3r

I always thought starting a cyber cafe would be really sweet. But everyone's right, it's an uphill battle, specially in the 'states where almost every home has a computer. But some of them do alright. We have one here in Des Moines called "Clicks" that's fairly popular I guess. They're a "cyber bar & grill" so you actually can get good food there. Soda and chips works to though.

I like the idea of having it not only be a cyber cafe, but also a custom build/repair shop. You'll definatly get some extra business that way, and if you advertise in the phone book as a repair shop, you'll get customers coming in who need a repair, and they might be totally surprised that you've also got a gaming arena there, and tell their friends.

Names:

FragTown

Frag Inc.

Lakewood Gaming and Repair

Game while you wait

Restore and more

One idea you may have thought of already, is to have a table near the service area where customers who's system you've either worked on, or they've brought in for work, can be plugged in and setup right in-store. All three or four times I've taken my computer to CompUSA for an opinion on a problem, I've wished I could just plug it in and show them the problem.

Also, you might consider a "Bring your own computer" area. Lots of gamers have their own computer, possibly better than your rigs, they might like the LAN feeling, but not like playing on someone elses computer. Let them setup their own rigs in a designated area. You'll have to make sure they're virus free before they jack into your network, but you know a whole lot more about that stuff then I do. I think that might bring in more business though. Every gamer likes LAN parties. Also, I've heard of local cyber cafe's doing monthly or weekly LAN parties, think about doing that too. That kind of ties in with the BYOC thing.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, you might consider a "Bring your own computer" area. Lots of gamers have their own computer, possibly better than your rigs, they might like the LAN feeling, but not like playing on someone elses computer.

This in a way would defeat the whole purpose of opening up a LAN center IMO. Kids can goto their friends house if they want to BYOC. It would be fine if like once every 3 months to have something like that but an everyday thing would not work out, the money invested in all the computers needing to be built would be going to waste. Come tournament time(If any), your going to be needing to play on their computers so you might as well get used to them now.

I've seen a couple good names in here just not willing to to go back and find em =X.

Fatpipe-LAN center in NY

Cyber connextion-Local place near me

Cyber escape-1 about 15 mins from my house

Decent names for the last 2 I like.

Digital underground?

Digital Palace?

Sorry I'm terrible with names.

This goes back to about 2-3 yrs ago when I wanted to open one up...I thought everything through because a lot of the ones I've been too..The service is terrible/over priced..Having one started by young adults who know what people want would be popular, never went through with it and wasn't as serious but always wanted to.

Again good luck =]

• 2 weeks later...