Dream car?

gOOters

Do you have a dream car? For me it would be a 1967 Shelby 427 Cobra replica.

www.superformance.com

I think I could get into one for about $32K slightly used. The only thing is, I would need to be able to drive a different vehicle for commuting to work during the week. I am toying with the idea of getting one in several years once my truck is paid off and the wifey is in a vehicle that she likes. :D

Edited by gOOters

Ducati 749

f4.jpg

f6.jpg

Or.. Basically anything with 2 wheels that runs well... or at all... ok just give me a bike!

I really dig the blue on the newer Kawasaki ZX6-R ZX636C_05_40494_800.jpg

But if you really wanted dream car...

Nissan JDM-spec Fairlady Z twin turbo, manual, intercooler, BOV, full exhaust (not just Cat back), intake, port, polish.

1999 Stock JDM photos

483295_41_full.jpg

483295_42_full.jpg

Edited by General J

AK - For a first bike, I highly suggest not going with a super sport bike... I would suggest something like a ninja 250 (suck up your pride, it's still a motorcycle, it's cheap, good confidence builder, and it still is a good looking bike). Heck, I kicked out the back wheel pulling outta my court today :boing: It has MORE than enough power to kill you on its own. With that being said, I love the R6. Not too big on the R1 because you would never have any need for that much power on the road or the track. But yes to the R6! Just hope that Yamaha doesn't go center-up exhaust on them anytime soon.

As for that GT40 := I'll take the blue with white stripes and blue interior and white stitching... But man would I dread to replace that back tire which would happen probably sooner than later knowing me ;) Price for a pair of rear tires = $874. I guess if I had the money to buy the GT I wouldn't be worrying about the rubber huh...

One of my dads friends just got a ducatti, not sure what kind it was, but the guy put 15k of aftermarket parts/engine on it and when it was time for an oil change he sent to some place in Penn. He started the thing up in his grage the other day, it sound sooooooooooooo nice. Ill get the modle for ya J :P

I do appreciate the looking out Gen J, but im definately going 600/1000cc in the spring. I've got a few years of dirt bike's under me and a 250cc street bike isn't going to cut it. A 600 will be the smallest that i buy, but with the bigger size comes higher price, hence why you guys got your 250's and im still saving ....

Also, as you know i've been good friends with nofx for a few years now and he recommends me to go for a big bike first after having his 250. And i've seen you already say that you want a bigger bike, i can go easy on a big bike until im comfortable. Just because it has the potential to do 0-120 in seconds and top out at near 200mph don't mean im going to the first day i ride. :) It's like the first few times you rode your Ninja, im sure you didn't push the bike to it's limits, no one does the first times. Just cause i want something with enough power to do 170+ don't mean i'll be doing it in the first few months, or ever for that matter. I'm not a person to push the limits anymore. I can honestly say i won't top my bike out, 100% knowing i won't ever. I need to live.

My best bud from high school has a 2001 R6 with about $1500 into performance add ons and lost his liscense for 3 years. I'm already working out a deal on his bike for the spring. :)

Edited by All Kill3r

AK, I am not saying anything about your riding experience. All I am saying is that a brand spanking new R6 is not a good first street bike. Yes, having the dirt bike experience will help you, but how many times have you had a car braking suddenly to turn in front of you without using their signal, someone coming up way too fast behind you, and someone wanting to turn out of a parking lot right in front of you, all while managing the clutch, throttle, 2 seperate brakes (both of which are super touchy, enough so that the tiniest amount of extra pressure will either flip you end over or lock up your back tire causing a skid out) downshifting (and managing what gear you are in) rolling the throttle so your back tire won't jump from the engine speed, and getting that bug that will inevitably be in your visor buzzing in and out of your eye all at the exact same moment. This is why I bought a 250, not because of price. I could have saved a month longer and probably bought a, '00 or '01 SV650 like I wanted, but I chose a smaller bike because I did not have the skill or street experience to manage that much power and focus on all of that.

That being said, an older 600 to start with (96-99) that is CARBURATED, not fuel injected, would probably do you just fine. Sure, I know you want a cool looking, faster than anyone needs bike, but get some experience. I have drastically reconsidered my purchase of a 600 and am holding off for about 2 years until I can buy a newer one (04-05) and will have thousands of miles of experience on a manageable bike.

If you think a little 250 is slow, you have obviously never ridden one. I had a buddy, who rides a 1200cc Yamaha and weighs over 200 lbs, take my bike out and say it was more than enough power to pull him. Even under the torque band of ~7000-8000 rpm, I am talking like 4000rpm, it will raise the front tire on you. This is a 250! Not a 600! A 250cc motorcycle.

It is your money you will be spending, and your life. I am just simply stating that the experience you need to ride a bike in traffic is much, much different than riding a dirt bike. All I ask is that you think it through. Maybe take the MSF course, then decide what is right for you. I, in now way, think that you couldn't possibly manage a 600. Just that from my perspective and experience it is smarter to start small. It won't be your last bike, just your first.

all while managing the clutch, throttle, 2 seperate brakes (both of which are super touchy, enough so that the tiniest amount of extra pressure will either flip you end over or lock up your back tire causing a skid out) downshifting (and managing what gear you are in) rolling the throttle so your back tire won't jump from the engine speed, and getting that bug that will inevitably be in your visor buzzing in and out of your eye all at the exact same moment.

instinct.

again, i appreciate the looking out, and i never said a 250 was slow. It's just not the league of bike i want. I'm going to get me a bike that i can grow into, not outgrow in a few months. I know myself, and i know that i'll be tinkled if i buy a 250.

his 01 R6 can pop a wheelie doing 75 on the interstate.

Edited by All Kill3r

man, seriously i think a big reason why i want a big bike and you wan't something smaller first is not only i used to rike bikes in high school, but i don't live in a big city. Theres road around here that are perfectly straight for miles that just have fields around them. Minimal traffic, more likely to pass a tractor doing 25. There is city around, but theres also more then enough open road where i live too. Also have the parkway that goes along the mountains, i live in the Shennadoah Vally, VA. Real perty place to live =\

instinct.

again, i appreciate the looking out, and i never said a 250 was slow. It's just not the league of bike i want. I'm going to get me a bike that i can grow into, not outgrow in a few months. I know myself, and i know that i'll be tinkled if i buy a 250.

his 01 R6 can pop a wheelie doing 75 on the interstate.

Instinct will make you think, "GRAB THE BRAKES and get me the hell off this thing!" Experience tells you to ignore instinct. Instinct is what kills you...

All I will say is best of luck to you. Plenty of people start on 600's. Just not the path most motorcyclists would suggest. Go for it if you want though. I would be pretty jealous if you managed an R6 though. :P Last comment I will say though is in regard to the popping wheelies at 75... That should tell you something... One mistake on the throttle (and it will happen) could be devastating. Just be careful, AND WEAR YOUR GEAR!!!!

P.S. Who said I live in a big city? :unsure: Farm land is about 5 minutes down the road. I just live in a populated hole. :rolleyes:

Back on topic :D I really need to move to Arizona, New Mexico, anywhere it doesn't rain too frequently and sell the truck :-) Could have my new 600 then ^_^

Edited by General J

yeah, maybe I should have been more specific. Dweez nailed it. Dream cars that you know you will be able to buy some day with careful planning! :P

If I was to get a bike, (and I really am considering it), then my first ride would probably be an older 600. I have experience aplenty on dirt bikes and a little on a friends Ninja. I think that the new 600cc sport bikes might be a bit much for a first time biker, I would want an FZR 600RR. :)

AK, one time I skipped a rock over the Shennadoah river while on a hike. That was about 12 years ago, and I will NEVER forget the scenery. It was autumn and probably one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in my life :)

My buddy just got one of his dream cars, a Viper. He has been into fast cars (and speed in general...he has his pilot's license too) for a long time and his previous cars have been several different Z cars, a 3rd gen Mazda RX-7, and a Honda S2000.

He has had the Viper for under a month. Flew to TX to pick it up and drive back to VA. About a week ago, he was going from 2nd to 3rd gear and accidentally downshifted to 1st. This is not too uncommon a thing to do as I have done it several times in my mustang...it just doesn't have the power of a Viper. He and his girlfriend are ok but the rear wheels locked up and when the car was done from it's flat spin (it didn't flip any thank God), this is what it looked like.

vipered.jpg

mommy?

glad they're ok Dweez.

as for dream cars we can afford...well if I can afford it it ain't a dream. But my "dreamcarthatIcanaffordoneday" would probably be a C5 black (or midnight blue) hardtop corvette. The better the version, the happier I'll be....but any C5 vette is fine with me.

My buddy just got one of his dream cars, a Viper.  He has been into fast cars (and speed in general...he has his pilot's license too) for a long time and his previous cars have been several different Z cars, a 3rd gen Mazda RX-7, and a Honda S2000.

He has had the Viper for under a month.  Flew to TX to pick it up and drive back to VA.  About a week ago, he was going from 2nd to 3rd gear and accidentally downshifted to 1st.  This is not too uncommon a thing to do as I have done it several times in my mustang...it just doesn't have the power of a Viper.  He and his girlfriend are ok but the rear wheels locked up and when the car was done from it's flat spin (it didn't flip any thank God), this is what it looked like.

vipered.jpg

Not to dwell on past conversations, but wow. That's a heck of a crash for missing a gear! How fast was he going when he missed his shift? This is why I say a brand new sport bike is not a good choice for a 1st time street bike rider. This was in a 4 wheeled car with a marked and laid out gearbox. Amazing how the power transfer can throw you for that big of a loop! :=

If we are talking about cars we could afford in the future, then I really would like to have a BMW M3, slightly older, subtract the overly controlling traction control, manual gearbox, beef up the suspension, and I am good to go. BMW's are some of the most amazing cars to drive. Until a cop pulls up next to you at the light on a big straightaway.... ;) I decided to take it easy... I had just gotten off lightly with an 85 in a 65 a few days before (highway patrolman said he was pacing me at 90.. :bang: )