I have a very strange feeling today

Playaa

...sorry, just thought that would be funny.

but really I do feel really weird because of what's in my pockets.

For those who don't know, I play a game called Magic the Gathering. I have a friend who's grandfather USED to play back in the origional days. Well he has cards that are VERY covetted by current players. He no longer plays and has authorized me to sell these cards (with a 10% fee for myself, which was his idea) to some players I know who want them. These cards are referred to as the "Power 9" (because there are 9 of them). They are wanted by so many players that despite their insane prices (ranging from $200 to $1000 apiece depending upon the specific card and it's condition) I had 7 people saying "I'll buy them" without even seeing them or knowing what condition they were in. So I am carrying them around with me (no way I'm leaving them in my car or at my desk during the day) today and it's a very strange feeling carrying 7 cards (he's missing 2 of the 9) in cases and knowing that they're worth about $4k all together.

But now I have a problem. I have 7 people (and a couple more who haven't even heard I have em yet but who WILL want them), who ALL want the cards...and they all want all of the cards...and I'm not good friends with any of these people. I have just got to know them over the last 2 months by playing in weekly tournaments with them. So basically, how the heck do I go about figuring out who to sell them to? I really don't want to have a bidding war and I really don't want any of these people to feel like I didn't give them a chance at the cards...so what do I do?

...sorry, just thought that would be funny.

but really I do feel really weird because of what's in my pockets.

For those who don't know, I play a game called Magic the Gathering.  I have a friend who's grandfather USED to play back in the origional days.  Well he has cards that are VERY covetted by current players.  He no longer plays and has authorized me to sell these cards (with a 10% fee for myself, which was his idea) to some players I know who want them.  These cards are referred to as the "Power 9" (because there are 9 of them).  They are wanted by so many players that despite their insane prices (ranging from $200 to $1000 apiece depending upon the specific card and it's condition) I had 7 people saying "I'll buy them" without even seeing them or knowing what condition they were in.  So I am carrying them around with me (no way I'm leaving them in my car or at my desk during the day) today and it's a very strange feeling carrying 7 cards (he's missing 2 of the 9) in cases and knowing that they're worth about $4k all together.

But now I have a problem.  I have 7 people (and a couple more who haven't even heard I have em yet but who WILL want them), who ALL want the cards...and they all want all of the cards...and I'm not good friends with any of these people.  I have just got to know them over the last 2 months by playing in weekly tournaments with them.  So basically, how the heck do I go about figuring out who to sell them to?  I really don't want to have a bidding war and I really don't want any of these people to feel like I didn't give them a chance at the cards...so what do I do?

Forget them. Put them up on eBay. If they still want them, let them bid there.

yep, he's got all 7 of those (good pics Hitman)

Fatty Magic the Gathering is a strategy card game. Ever heard of Yugi-Oh or Pokemon card games? Magic was the ORIGIONAL. Started in the early 90's I think. All those other games came about because Magic was so successful.

I'd like to sell em on eBay...but how would you guys feel if I had some special computer thing and people here wanted it and I said "sorry, you're gonna hafta bid on ebay for it if you want it."

That just ain't right...you take care of your homies first...so I'm offering it to the people who play Magic with me first.

/me thinks about the memories

Back in my hardcore nerd days(Middle school :/) I remember those were the cards too have, even tho they weren't allowed in tourny's. More of a collectors item so to speak. The alpha/beta versions of those cards had insanely large type font and pictures compared to current cards now which are all normal.

The problem is the lotus isn't even that great of a card IMO. Only 3 colored mana then discarded, not worth it. The mox's are more worth it than the lotus as they stay on the board and can be used as interupts.

Ne way, I don't know if u can sell them, they are more collectors items rather than real cards just like sets of baseball cards and your favorite card of anything. I know in my time a beta lotus went for about $350 but I'm not surprised the price has been raised.

If you do sell them look into avg. prices of the cards and what they are going for. They are so rare now I'm not surprised a lotus is $1k. For dead cards, I dont know why they would pay that money other then the fact to have them as collector items.

actually Tek they are definatly not dead cards. The Type 1 tournament scene has MASSIVELY taken off recently in the last few years and these cards are THE cards to have. Basically you cannot play in Type 1 tournaments unless you own the Power 9.

As for the useability of the card, it is entirely useable only for a first turn kill really. Late in the game the card is just ok....but the possibility of that first turn kill is so immensly huge in Type 1 tournaments that people will pay HUGE prices....because Type 1 tournaments pay OUT so well also. Most of the Type 1 tourney's offer 1 Power 9 card as a first prize....and those that don't still offer VERY good prizes.

Fatty Magic the Gathering is a strategy card game.  Ever heard of Yugi-Oh or Pokemon card games?  Magic was the ORIGIONAL.  Started in the early 90's I think.  All those other games came about because Magic was so successful.

I'd like to sell em on eBay...but how would you guys feel if I had some special computer thing and people here wanted it and I said "sorry, you're gonna hafta bid on ebay for it if you want it."

That just ain't right...you take care of your homies first...so I'm offering it to the people who play Magic with me first.

Nope, I would understand it. Beniss is beniss.

Besides, you probably owe it to the actual owner to get top dollar for his cards.

believe me, I will still get top dollar....these aren't poor folk who are buying em. And he actually only has around $1200 invested into the cards (ONLY $1200 :) )....so anything I get is profit for him and they were just sitting at his house for the last 5 years...so it's not as if he'll be missing something.

I do appreciate the advice though. I'm just all about my "dogs". I will ALWAYS try to help out friends first for stuff like this.

Fatty Magic the Gathering is a strategy card game.  Ever heard of Yugi-Oh or Pokemon card games?  Magic was the ORIGIONAL.  Started in the early 90's I think.  All those other games came about because Magic was so successful.

Friendship is one thing, and very honorable at that, but get the value out of the cards that your friend's grandfather deserves.

Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guest PDO
Guests
like I said.  The full value is garaunteed with these guys and I won't hafta deal with the idiots that the internet breeds.

:D

Haha!

Honestly, they're not *your* cards, so I think you shold feel obligated to get as much money as you can for them, hold an auction, only fair way to do it.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I used to play Magic The Gathering and have cards somewhere from those days. None of those cards above but some of high value, if I can find them.

want to have.........*slaps himself*. Yeah that's some crazy stuff dude. I used to be hardcore into magic. I still have all my cards. On a side not i was also a huge star wars fan and over the years i've collected many rare cards.

My opinion

Have a silent auction. Set a minimum price and let them all vote.

TeK

U told me :x.

I still think Magic was a waste of life for myself. Theres so much new stuff now with abilites and the like that I couldn't even pick the game up again if I wanted to.

*edit*

Out of curiosity playaa, what are the other power cards besides the lotus and mox set?

Edited by TeK