Football topic

Silver-Bullet

Again, look at who Purdue averaged so many points against. Not one contender. Its all part of the system that Purdue's offense runs under. Purdue struggled against Michigan the week after also... so its not just Wisconson.

Syracuse W, 51-0 | record 3-3

Ball State W, 59-7 | record 1-6

Illinois W, 38-30 | record 2-5

Notre Dame W, 41-16 | record 5-2

Penn State W, 20-13 | record 2-4

and the one loss:

Wisconsin (#12) L, 20-17 | record 7-0

overall record was 13 - 20 not including wisconson

Minnesota wasn't even ranked in the game, they have been on a steady decline and yes the big 10 is tough but it isn't this season. Minn got dominated by Mich state so what wisconson did wasn't a big deal.

Edited by ++SexyTyme++

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trashing OU or USC or Auburn, I am simply saying it is a shame that WI is on its way to going 11-0 and not even having a chance at proving themself for a national championship. I think perhaps an 8 team playoff system would work great though I am not sure you could ever have one due to the academics involved in college football and then requiring even more time away from school. If you had an 8 team playoff it would then require 2 extra games to get to the national champion status as well as it would more than likely include all undefeated teams because I just can't see there ever being more than 8 undefeated teams. I think it would be an overall better system to determine the champion than what we have now. I personally think Wisconsin has the best defense in college football right now. They shut down Purdue's pass which perhaps was overrated going in to that game but they still shut it down, they shut down MNs run offense which is one of the tops because they have 2 players who potentially get 100 yards a game and I don't think they combined for 100 yards against WI. They are also a very disciplined team looking only to each game and not looking ahead taking it one game at a time and not really getting cocky or having any attitude problems. They are operating as a team and winning as a team. I know you have Northwestern on their schedule as a weak opponent but even though they haven't won that many games they were averaging over 450 yards of offense going into the WI game and they were held to something like 250 yards. That is a huge stop imo. I think OU is a good team and the fact is when it comes down to it a win is a win even if it was a close win. OU pulled out 2 good comebacks the last 2 weeks and that is what counts in the end. I just think WI deserves a chance to prove themself against these teams and it is a shame they most likely wont have that chance.

you might hate TO, i do too, but how dare you... the worst reciever in football? is that some kind of joke?

oh yeah, THE BEARS.... warner looks like jonathen quinn out there. 7 sacks... damn.... and now there only 2 games back :P. and you say giants should of won that game? how so? bears dominated every side of the ball... running, recieving, defense.

I agree chuck. I hate it too. I wish OU and WI could play and then Auburn and USC and then have the championship out of that. WHY CANT WE DO THAT!?!?! :(:angry:  It would make for two extra GREAT games this year :(

cuz for some reason the schools are against it...fans want it, media wants it, advertiesers want it...

I agree chuck. I hate it too. I wish OU and WI could play and then Auburn and USC and then have the championship out of that. WHY CANT WE DO THAT!?!?! :(:angry:  It would make for two extra GREAT games this year :(

That would be so good, I would prefer an 8 team playoff system but a 4 team playoff system would be better than what we currently have. I mean they could have the playoffs in mid-late december when the other bowl games go on now so that the national championship could still take place on January 4th. Also the computer systems are pretty weak imo. They take too much into account the offense of a team and not enough on the defense. Wisconsin doesn't have a powerful offense, they have a mediocre offense that is really coming together here at the end of the season. I believe they have enough offense to keep them in the game with anyone because their defense is good enough to severly hamper any offense in the league. Such a shame we may never know =\

We don't need a playoff system, this system works. It has worked for years now and will continue to work. Upsets happen, Im feeling that by the end of the regular season, there will only be 1 or 2 undefeated teams, if not any.

USC could lose to Notre Dame [15%]

Oklahoma could lose to Nebraska or in the Big 12 championship [20%]

Auburn could lose to Georgia or SEC Championship [70%]

Wisconson could lose to Iowa [30%]

Utah could lose to either teams you never know [1%]

Boise State won't lose [5%]

There are still a lot of weeks of football left.

We don't need a playoff system, this system works. It has worked for years now and will continue to work. Upsets happen, Im feeling that by the end of the regular season, there will only be 1 or 2 undefeated teams, if not any.

USC could lose to Notre Dame [15%]

Oklahoma could lose to Nebraska or in the Big 12 championship [20%]

Auburn could lose to Georgia or SEC Championship [70%]

Wisconson could lose to Iowa [30%]

Utah could lose to either teams you never know [1%]

Boise State won't lose [5%]

There are still a lot of weeks of football left.

It has worked for years? The BCS championship system has only been in place what 6 or 7 years now? If that. Prior to that it was all coach/AP polls. There have been plenty of times when there has been controversy and debate over the system, a system in which you have to earn your championship in a playoff type manner leaves no questions.

It has worked for years?  The BCS championship system has only been in place what 6 or 7 years now?  If that.  Prior to that it was all coach/AP polls.  There have been plenty of times when there has been controversy and debate over the system, a system in which you have to earn your championship in a playoff type manner leaves no questions.

Sort of. There was the Bowl Coalition, it was the pretty much the BCS without computers. That started back in 1992, and that ended in 1997, and the BCS we used to know started in 1998, and they tweeked it after last year. So 12 years, not 6 or 7. Last year was the only year that there was ever a split national championship using the BCS, never before and there wasn't controversy before last season, all the years before except for 1997 with the Bowl Coalition, there was a split national championship... and by the way it has worked for years even if you thought it was only from 98 because 7 years... is a lot of years.

I think last year worked, if you saw the strenght of schedule OU[3 ranked in schedule] and LSU[3 ranked in schedule] had tougher matchups that USC[who only had 1 ranked team to play in their schedule]. OU won all of its regular season games and lost to a ranked #10 KSU team in the big 12 championship, while USC lost to an unranked Cal. LSU lost to a ranked #17 Florida team. Also, both LSU and OU had to play its conference championship games a game more than USC had to play.

What the BCS does is it allows people for all conferences to play in whatever bowl so everyone has a shot to play in the Rose, Orange, Fiesta, and Sugar bowls. They used to be conference based before.

Id love to see more weeks of football, but think about it. To think that the playoff system would differ than those of the current BCS system rankings is hard to believe. You still haven't seen the end of the regular season, so you can't argue that any team is going undefeated yet. If by the end of this season, all 6 remain unbeaten, then the system is truely flawed and I agree that there needs to be something better. HOWEVER, this hasn't happened. BCS takes into account what the people usually don't. The system works, it has, and if you look at last season, it worked also. Look at USC's schedule compared to OU's and LSU's.

I don't know about earlier but from 92 onwards with the bowl alliance/coalition and BCS:

92: Alabama

93: FSU

94: Nebraska

95: Nebraska

96: Florida

97: 1st ever split with Bowl Coalition: Michigan/Nebraska

98: Tennessee

99: FSU

00: Oklahoma

01: Miami

02: Ohio State

03: 1st ever split with BCS: LSU/USC

Edited by ++SexyTyme++

I don't know about earlier but from 92 onwards with the bowl alliance/coalition and BCS:

92: Alabama

93: FSU

94: Nebraska

95: Nebraska

96: Florida

97: 1st ever split with Bowl Coalition: Michigan/Nebraska

98: Tennessee

99: FSU

00: Oklahoma

01: Miami

02: Ohio State

03: 1st ever split with BCS: LSU/USC

Then it must have been 90 or 91. I honestly had forgotten about the Bowl Coalition being in place before the BCS.

Yea, now that you mention it I think both 90 and 91 had split championships, I guess thats why they formed the Bowl Alliance. 90 it was Colorado and Georgia Tech maybe? and 91 Im sure it was Miami and Washington, not Washington State. I'll look it up sometime.

Did I say Washington STate? :P I know it was Washington I am a big Huskies fan, granted I like Washington State too :P But the Badgers are still my #1 in college football.

Yep, I looked it up and its Washington and Miami in 91, and Colorado and GT in 90. Great weekend of football coming up, and no the Badgers shouldn't be #1 in your football... and if you want to, I'll prove more reasons why. Also, any more questions about BCS till its the end of the season and we have like 4 undefeated teams and you will find me eating my own words... :D

Edited by ++SexyTyme++

Yep, I looked it up and its Washington and Miami in 91, and Colorado and GT in 90. Great weekend of football coming up, and no the Badgers shouldn't be #1 in your football... and if you want to, I'll prove more reasons why. Also, any more questions about BCS till its the end of the season and we have like 4 undefeated teams and you will find me eating my own words...  :D

I'm not saying that the Badgers deserve to be #1, I am saying they deserve a chance to prove they are #1 :P I don't think Auburn is going to go undefeated, but as far as USC, OK, WI, UT and Boise St. it is a possibility for all 5 of those teams, Auburn could do it they just have a much, much tougher road ahead of them and if they do go undefeated they certainly deserve a chance at the orange bowl.

I'm not saying that the Badgers deserve to be #1, I am saying they deserve a chance to prove they are #1

Well, I guess they proved why they shouldn't be #1. It feels good to be right. 5 unbeaten left, but actually 4, since Boise State doesn't really count... you could say 3 if you want to discount Utah. USC is winning against Arizona right now, OU and Auburn dominated. Im pretty sure the standings will be the way they are, Auburn could jump OU, nothing left but to wait.

Well, I guess they proved why they shouldn't be #1. It feels good to be right. 5 unbeaten left, but actually 4, since Boise State doesn't really count... you could say 3 if you want to discount Utah. USC is winning against Arizona right now, OU and Auburn dominated. Im pretty sure the standings will be the way they are, Auburn could jump OU, nothing left but to wait.

I hope Auburn jumps over OK, I think they deserve it, if Auburn finishes the season unbeaten I hope they go to the Orange Bowl.

Pours out a 40 for the Badgers :tired: