Guest zerodamage

And when you say "that one" if you're like me, you're talking about ZD.

Between this and that other screenshot of yours in the other thread, well, you have some issues to work out there. Many boys look at the graphics and think, dang, these guys are gettin good cause she's hot! But they don't necessarily have a photo shoot.....then post....

Seek help.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

Hey. I just took those from hl2fallout. I just thought it would make "interesting" discussion here. I see that I wasn't wrong. lol

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I did it for the humor of it. I am married people. Sheesh!!

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests
Source includes the Havok engine by default.

Not sure if that is true or not. I've seen the havok engine and it isn't as good as that in Source. You may be right though. I just think that Valve did their engine from the ground up.

• 4 weeks later...
there wont be games

IT WILL BE REAL LIFE

That I wouldn't want. Game looking like real life. Games with graphics a bit better than Doom 3 would be great though. I think they need to start working more on virtual reality. Also, there has been a game that looks like real life. Johnny Neumonic, based on the movie, and that sucked.

Half-Life 2 uses the Havok physics engine. It's actually been around for years, and has been in many, many games, used mostly to calculate car physics, or player jump physics - that sort of thing. It has been used since 3DMark2001, and before. I also think Black&White was one of the first games to actually use it to great effect. (I could be wrong on that one, though.)

Max Payne 2 and the more recent games (aside from DooM 3) use Havok 2.0 physics.

...the thing is, VALVe bought a license to use the Havok engine way back when they got serious in their work on Half-Life 2. They did so much work, customizing and tailoring the physics simulator to every aspect of their game that Havok took their changes, tweaked them to their liking, used VALVe's input and created Havok 2.0.

...technically, Havok 2.0 is a better physics simulator, but Half-Life 2 is connected to Havok at the very core of its gameplay. Nobody's done anything with Havok 2.0 other than add some cars that can go over hills, and bodies that fall randomly when shot up. Nobody has used more than 10% of its potential, whereas Half-Life 2 demanded so much of the Havok simulator, that they basically created the new engine, in their work with Team Havok.

That's not to say that VALVe didn't do any work on the Source engine. On the contrary. Source is absolutely mind-blowing. What it's capable of, and how much of its current potential was tapped during Half-Life 2 was stellar.

...but we're talking about two different engines, here. Havok and Source.

The Havok engine is a physics simulator. That's it. It calculates speeds, and parabolas, bouyancy and kinetic energy. That's pretty much it. If a game just used Havok... ...well, it'd just be a bunch of quadratic formulae on the screen. Source is where the game shines. Source is VALVe's render engine. It handles 3D video and 3D audio. IE: pretty. Very pretty.

If you ask me, Half-Life 2 blows DooM 3 out of the water in terms of visuals. id Software has the better engine... ...but they didn't do enough with it. They forgot to put the art back in, and to me it came off like a tech demo, as did Quake III Arena.

Anyway, yeah. When Troika licensed the Source engine, they also got use of Havok physics. Generally the physics solution is included with the purchase of any game engine. It would suck if you bought the license to Quake III Arena, in order to make your own retail game, but had to rewrite the way characters jumped, or walked along the floor, because they deleted the physics calculations.

The next game supposedly using the Source engine is an as of yet unnamed MMORPG. Out of the box, the Source netcode handles 256 players. (likely not with the same 5000+ poly / 50-75 hitbox per character limit of HL2/CS:S) Of course, the new owner of the engine is more than welcome to tamper with that in any way they want.

PS:

Sorry for the essay. Handling too many topics in one reply. Bit of a bad habit of mine.

Edited by Norguard