WRX or Audi A4

Bush

Subaru Imprezza WRX (not an STI) or a Audi A4 Quatro 2.8?

I'm looking at purchasing of those two cars used sometime in the next month or two.. I'm looking at 2001 or newer (Used) with 50,000 miles or less. Which one should I get and why?

Uh...do you really even have to ask!? The Subaru hands down. Audi's may look nice (to some people) but they don't have the quality where it counts. They aren't very well constructed, and not anywhere near as reliable as a Subaru.

A lot of people don't know it, but Subaru's reliability record is only a hair behind Toyota and Honda's, and is, in some respects, better. They make good cars, and Audi...well, Audi not so much. The only reason Audi sells so well is because it's "the popular thing to do."

Be an individual, buy the better car, go Subaru!

(just so you know I'm not bias, I tend to like Pontiacs and muscle cars)

:-)

Uh...do you really even have to ask!?  The Subaru hands down.  Audi's may look nice (to some people) but they don't have the quality where it counts.  They aren't very well constructed, and not anywhere near as reliable as a Subaru. 

A lot of people don't know it, but Subaru's reliability record is only a hair behind Toyota and Honda's, and is, in some respects, better.  They make good cars, and Audi...well, Audi not so much.  The only reason Audi sells so well is because it's "the popular thing to do." 

(just so you  know I'm not bias, I tend to like Pontiacs and muscle cars)

Hey Law could you give me some stats(or a site with stats). regarding the quality problems with the Audi.. I owned a 98 for a couple of years and didn' have any problems with it other than being just being and ff, instead of a quatro. I had a hard time keeping it on the road when in snowedd in MN.

Thanks,

Bush

you need AWD or what? price range? I dont think I would recommend a used Audi or WRX. Although, you will end up liking the Audi tons more in the long run just because of the fit and finish, I think.

Lemme think on some other options too ;)

You should be fine in snow with a front engine, front wheel drive car. Although, I personally prefer rear wheel drive to anything. The only time I could really see AWD helping you in the snow is from a dead stop. While moving, it is not going to keep you from sliding all over the place. That is what you traction control systems are for. Sure, it has 4 wheels to adjust power to, but that just means 2 extra spots that the computer can try to kill you with. ;) A good set of snow tires would do you much better, IMHO.

Test drive both, preferrably in the conditions that you are warranting buying the car for. (extreme rain, snow, ice. Or if you are from Missouri, dry pavement.. :huh2: sorry people really don't know how to drive here) If it has selectable AWD, turn it off and on and drive both ways. Try out the traction control system, on and off. That is one cool thing I have seen about BMW's. You buy an M vehicle (3,5,6 or M roadster) and I believe they give you the option of going to their test facility for a training class. There they have a skidpad that shows you the difference between TCS on and off. I have seen programs on it, and it is amazing!

Like Goot said, the Audi will be a much sleeker, tighter, better put together package (or atleast I would hope so for the price :wacko: ). But the Subaru will be built more toward the sporting side. Just check em both out and see which one fits you the best. Then go check out some other AWD options like the Saab 9-2x, Ford 500, (I hate to point anyone this direction, although they are making a "comeback) Mitsu Lancer Evo.

• 2 weeks later...

I think all that maverick said is booty but really I'd probably take WRX as well. If it was out of STI and S4 then I'd probably recommend S4 cause it's really popular street car in Europe. But here in the US probably the "cooler" car to have would be a WRX. I want one for myself too. My sis' husband has one from 2002, it's alright, I'd say a hair underpowered but u can trick it out, right?

Then go check out some other AWD options like the Saab 9-2x

the 9-2x is a wrx(or just plain impreza depending on the model) with saab badging. same engine and chassis. a friend's dad just got one. reviews say it doesn't handle as good as a wrx. probably because it's heavier because of the added luxury.

personally, my dream car is an sti. i test drove a 2002 wrx and it's by far the most fun car i've ever driven even only for 15 minutes.

it all depends on how you drive. if you want sporty and fun at the cost of luxury and refinement then go wrx. otherwise audi is the way to go. the a4 is a very nice car.

You should be fine in snow with a front engine, front wheel drive car. Although, I personally prefer rear wheel drive to anything. The only time I could really see AWD helping you in the snow is from a dead stop. While moving, it is not going to keep you from sliding all over the place. That is what you traction control systems are for. Sure, it has 4 wheels to adjust power to, but that just means 2 extra spots that the computer can try to kill you with. newwink.gif A good set of snow tires would do you much better, IMHO.

nothin beats awd. i've cornered in the snow a 4x4 and a front drive (albeit a jetta with whatever their traction control thing is called and a yukon xl in 4wd). traction control helped but it didn't pull me through like the 4wd did. just play some colin mcrae 2k5 or other rally games and try the fwd vs the awd in snow and you'll notice a huge difference when moving.

btw, driving games taught me to drive. big shout outs to nfs series and colin mcrae series. most fun thing to do in winter is hit up the parking lots in the snow and johnson around.

I have a WRX and love it to death, nothing better then when the turbo kicks in. I've had zero problems with it thus far and have done most of the maintence myself with ease. I've heard of some problems with audi's, but i'm not sure speciffically what they are...that said they and nice cars and lean more to luxury side of the scale. If any problems with the audi do pop up they will most likey be very expensive to fix.

my 2 copper

~Dem_Apples

Audi all the way. People claim they're more expensive to fix, unreliable and all that crap, but find a decent VW/Audi dealership with a used A4 and you're set. If you request it, VW/Audi will certify the A4 for 3 year bumper-to-bumper coverage. WRX just doesn't do it for me. Not that it's a bad car, but I prefer the VW/Audi 4motion/quattro over Subaru's AWD any day of the week. Also, the A4 has slicker interior.

Above people:

Subaru's quality is no where near par with Toyota, and I'm insulted you said it. You will not see a Subaru do 1 million miles. You just won't. I've personally seen two mid-80's Toyota pickups with over a million on the stock motor. And I don't see how buying an Audi is the popular thing to do, I see more ricer WRXs than A4s. The Subarus sell very well, but guess what, so do Scions. Explain that one to me.

The S4 is much nicer than the STI. It's a freaking twin turbo V6. (The older ones, that is. I think the '05 is a V8) If I were going to spend that much money on an AWD car, I'd get the R32 and pop a turbo on, but I'm a hatchback fanboy.

Oh yeah, check out the Passat too. Someone above said look at the 500, but that car is 100% Passat. And it doesn't come in a diesel. If you got a Passat TDI, you would be a wise man. Especially with gas prices headed where they are.

Ditto on the  S4 > STi !!! Of course those come with two different price tags! ;)

The S4 and STI are a bit out of my price range. Do to the increasing gas prices and that I drive 35 miles one way to work, I'm thinking about a Jetta 1.8 T right now. A friend of mine in Chicago gets about 32 miles\gallon with his.

Ditto on the  S4 > STi !!! Of course those come with two different price tags! ;)

I saw an early 00's S4 in Texas for just over 20,000 a couple months back. If I had the money, I would have bought it. It was in tip top shape, and had very low miles.

Bushmaster: Check out the TDIs, I think you'll be suprised. It's not as peppy as the 1.8T, but it's not bad at all for ~50mpg. Don't go looking for a manual Golf TDI, it's impossible to find. My friend had to get his from a NY dealership DXed to Maryland.

I saw an early 00's S4 in Texas for just over 20,000 a couple months back. If I had the money, I would have bought it. It was in tip top shape, and had very low miles.

Bushmaster: Check out the TDIs, I think you'll be suprised. It's not as peppy as the 1.8T, but it's not bad at all for ~50mpg. Don't go looking for a manual Golf TDI, it's impossible to find. My friend had to get his from a NY dealership DXed to Maryland.

Oh yeh, I would of jumped all over that S4..

TDI's thats funny because I've been looking into them also. I think I may go that direction, but am still doing some research. If I do it will be a 5 speed Jetta.. $60 a week for gas is getting old if you know what I mean.. Ish!!

• 3 weeks later...

just found this thread, and although a lot of you may discredit my opinion because i am a girl:

i do like both cars and like both companies.

i have an affinity for subaru because i have a '99 forester (impreza chassis) that has over 190k on it with no engine trouble whatsoever. in perfect condition, sounds just like new.

the problem is is that you are in two entirely different classes. i cant see the relation between luxury sedan and sports sedan (what has your wife said? if you have one..)

being a girl myself, i prefer the wrx and i think if kept in good condition it will keep more value.

• 2 months later...
(edited)

I know this topic is old, but I just got my Jetta VR6. I'm still waiting to pick it up from the dealer, hopefully today. Anywho, I kinda wish I would have gotten a TDI, it has a 1.9 Turbo Deisel engine. I know the 1.8T's have about 170 HP, so I think it has the same. Best of all you get about 45 Mpg.

And I would go with the Audi A4, but it would have to be a new one, I looked intothe 2001 models, I dont think I like them as much,

Edited by NOFX

Maverick,Mar 29 2005, 09:53 AM]Uh...do you really even have to ask!?  The Subaru hands down.  Audi's may look nice (to some people) but they don't have the quality where it counts.  They aren't very well constructed, and not anywhere near as reliable as a Subaru. 

A lot of people don't know it, but Subaru's reliability record is only a hair behind Toyota and Honda's, and is, in some respects, better.  They make good cars, and Audi...well, Audi not so much.  The only reason Audi sells so well is because it's "the popular thing to do." 

(just so you  know I'm not bias, I tend to like Pontiacs and muscle cars)

Hey Law could you give me some stats(or a site with stats). regarding the quality problems with the Audi.. I owned a 98 for a couple of years and didn' have any problems with it other than being just being and ff, instead of a quatro. I had a hard time keeping it on the road when in snowedd in MN.

Thanks,

Bush

The Subarus doesn't have that great of reliability according to JD Power, and the Audi is pretty much on par with it.

A4 Quattro reliability

WRX reliability

And then of course, the certified pre-owned Audis have a 6yr/100,000 mile warranty compared with 6year/60,000 mile warranty for Subaru CPO if the car is under 3 years/36,000 miles. If the Subaru is over 3/36 you get a 12 month/100,000 mile warranty. Not much factory support from Subaru IMO.

Then of course there is the standard equipment, which I also believe goes to Audi:

WRX vs. A4 quattro

• 2 weeks later...

this is all coming from a guy that has worked on many makes and models of cars! I am a auto technicain in the making going to school for it and here are my opionions. i can't spell right now lol.... anyways. Audi is made make Volkswagon.. Audi = luxuary VW... Audi and VW can't engineneir a car very good. i think they are poorly made and exspecialy Audis are very expensive cars to fix if something goes wrong with them! Subaru is better made then a audi or vw.... i haven't worked on to many subarus though.... i personally don't like the body styles and the looks of them.... and subarus can be expensive to fix to i think... not sure about that one!! Plus i think you would be paying a lot more for an Audi anyways! and is it really worth it? i would prolly go for the wrx i would reccomend the STI version also! 6 speed turbo yummy!