the instruments you play

JavaBomberman

I have been poking at bass now for a year and change, really enjoying myself. picked up a rickenbacker (blue and white) for sentimental reasons (flcl anyone?). she sounds beautiful. I also have some drums and can keep a beat, though can't do much for fillers. (<---- anyone got advice on how to start learning those?)

so, what do you guys play? anyone in the famous and coveted conglomerate known as a band? do tell.

got an acoustic guitar for christmas

have only picked it up a couple times since then

debating if i should take lessons, or just put some time into screw'n around on it

your thoughts, johnny b good?

I still have my recorder..  But the instuments i play now are:  spoons, moonshine jug, and the mop under the bucket base...

:lol:

but seriously, I didn't take any lessons for anything, I just poke around on the internet for tabs and fool around with what I think sounds good. of course, I could be completely inept and making sounds equivalent to a dying cat. :mellow::freak:

I don't think so though. :rolleyes:

I played slide trombone in grade school; marching trombone, marching baritone, valve trombone (jazz band), marching tuba (not the sousaphone), trumpet, in high school; Picked up some bass, guitar, and very little piano and drums. Never really been in an indie band but I have performed in a profession status for maching and concert competitions as well as in front of my church with guitar and bass.

I played slide trombone in grade school; marching trombone, marching baritone, valve trombone (jazz band), marching tuba (not the sousaphone), trumpet, in high school; Picked up some bass, guitar, and very little piano and drums.  Never really been in an indie band but I have performed in a profession status for maching and concert competitions as well as in front of my church with guitar and bass.

Is your real name Phil Collins?!

:P

• 2 months later...
(edited)

I've played: eclectic guitar (thats a joke btw)

slide trombone

tenor sax

piano

bagpipes (for real)

I now focus on my turntables because when I was younger I decided that all of the above were for losers...now who's the loser? (me btw)

ANyways thats all i got....and yes...I am Phil Collins

almost forgot...I can still play the recorder with my nose

Edited by anonymo

Heheh.

I've played a zillion different instruments, but never made it further than the C major scale on any of them, until I picked up the guitar.

Yes, I'm in two of those much coveted "the band"s. One is mine, one is my boss'. I play rhythm guitar for his band, and we do anything from metal and rock to folk and bluegrass. Starting in a couple of weeks, we're going into the studio to record our first published album - a two disc set.

Speaking of my boss, I make a living teaching guitar. Go me! I'd say, Java and Bear, that you should probably get some theory in. Bear, don't be afraid to take some lessons, but settle for an honest teacher, and one open to teaching you what you want to learn.

The book will teach you how to play properly, but rock, using the techniques in the books will teach you how to play well. They're both 100% necessary for professionals. Yeah, I know that you probably don't want to get there, but that's your call. Theory will also make the book playing infinitely easier. Same goes for figuring out songs on the radio, or from memory.

This is what my mom played EVERY morning to wake me up when i was going to high school.

Pictures1029.jpg

I suppose some people may like it, but after four years...It got kinda annoying.

I think I'm in love... (with the organ...errr the piano like thing...GET YER MINDS OUT THE GUTTER!)

I play flute and piccolo(very well) and improv some on my Indian flute.

I also have a American 1962 Reissue Fender Strat that I never play, I knew some chords but I kind of gave up so its been sitting there a couple years..

• 3 months later...

ive been beating my bass for about 2 years now as well as guitar(im a little astounded that i can handle a bass yet am on fools ground with a normal guitar) i play the harmonica number one though.

i also tinker with a mandolin and digery-doo.

If you learn them both properly, Absum, the bass and guitar are two entirely different animals. Learning them both, and the notes they offer, is really simple, because they're basically the same.

...but then comes chording, and hand positions, and playing style. It's a totally different ballgame. I should know. I can fake playing the bass really well, but I'm not a bass player. I know more than enough to get me into most bands, nowaday, but what I really want is to be good enough to get me into Grand Funk Railroad or into Stevie Wonder's good books. That's where our basist resides. He plays Rush's "YYZ" for fun, and it may as well be upside down, behind his back with his eyes closed.

• 2 weeks later...

well Lets see... I saved up and bought an electric guitar when i was in 14 or 15 and lets see, im almost 24 now.

I use to play alot, but got out of it when i went to college

I've owned

Jackson charvel

Ibanez

Dark Red Mexican Strat

Black/Gold Epiphone Les Paul

Bright Red deluxe Mex Strat

Blue American Strat

Brown Les Paul

Never owned an acoustic

I also have a Marshall Half-stack sitting here collecting dust :)

And no I can't play a recorder, I dont even know what one is and I can't play another music instrument, except the Bass and I maybe a little bit on the drums