PC RPG's

Batman

Ok i want to see if ive missed any good rpg's (though i doubt that i have). List your fav PC RPG's for me please, and dont list ones that you think are cool cause you've heard things, list only ones you have played.. Oh yeah and stick to somewhat modern games, dont list C=64 games.. :)

My Fav's:

Baldurs Gate series

Planescape Torment

Gothic2

Freedom Force

Diablo1+2 (not sure if its really rpg)

Pool of Radiance (modern version)

Neverwinter Nights

I could list about 10 more but ill stop.. Any lesser known games out there that rock??

• 9 months later...

All those listed are good, and I'm going to have to add Arcanum to the list.

Likewise is Balder's Gate, Diablo Series, Dungeon Seige -these are the ones I've finished.

Neverwinter Nights was good but I never finished it. I was playing a magic user (can't remember the class, been awhile) so most of the time my warrior buddy was dealing damage while I watched. Seems I beat a quarter of the game and figured I needed to start over with a different class and have a magic user buddy instead. It never happened.

I need to get my RPG on. I have these games new still sealed in the box: Planscape Tourment, Icewind Dale 2, King's Quest : Mask of Eternity, Anachronox, Shadow's Over Riva, Fallout, Might and Magic VI SE (contains I-VI). Any advice on which one I should break open? :unsure:

Yeah, I'd like to second all those that Brillow mentioned...if you haven't played those you are in for a treat...(and in Morrowind's case a long, drawnout, epic, did I mention long? treat...I want Elder Scrolls IV now!!!)

I tried to like Marrowind, but couldn't get drawn into it. Twice. Same with The Temple of Elemental Evil. I tried to play it when it first came out, and then a year later. Still never kept my attention. I have BGII but tried to play it right after I finished Arcanum, bad idea.

Thing I liked about DS was that it was basically linear, so it was very easy to progress. I don't really like free-roaming RPGs where you have to look for 3 hours to find your destination when it was right in front of you the whole time.

Elderscrolls 4 needs to be multiplayer!!!

If Elder Scrolls 4 was linear, your PC would melt, and collapse in a giant heap of crying plastic.

I'd love it.

The Elder Scrolls Series is always good... ...except when you can't hit a single thing, because you have bad luck with dice-chucking... ...even the virtual ones.

Anachronox is amazing. I love it a lot. The graphics are awful by today's standards, but the voice acting and the writing are really top notch.

The game is immensely linear - you follow a story, and there are two possible outcomes (you die and get a game over, from which you continue, or you finish the game) ...that being said, there are so many tiny little subplots and dialogue subscripts that it's impossible to see everything in your first two or three playthroughs. Some of the actions in the first 20 minutes of the game dictate tiny little things in the last 20 minutes of the game, which you may or may not care about, depending on how much you care about NPCs that you meet.

I bought it for $9.99 a few years ago, after not being able to find it anywhere for a whole year.

...if you can find it in a bargain bin, definitely check it out.

Ok i want to see if ive missed any good rpg's (though i doubt that i have).  List your fav PC RPG's for me please, and dont list ones that you think are cool cause you've heard things, list only ones you have played..  Oh yeah and stick to somewhat modern games, dont list C=64 games.. :)

My Fav's:

Baldurs Gate series

Planescape Torment

Gothic2

Freedom Force

Neverwinter Nights

I could list about 10 more but ill stop..  Any lesser known games out there that rock??

I don't think Freedom Force is an RPG, not that it doesn't rock.

Dungeon Siege

Final Fantasy VI, VII, and IX

All I can remember right now with the exception of MMORPG's but those are different anyways

• 2 months later...

A few months ago I tried Anachronox, but ran into a bug which kept me for progressing further into the game. From what I read it was a hardware bug with newer systems, but I did like it up untill that piont. Guess I retry it with my older P800/Voodoo2 SLI system in a bit when I get a new KVM switch, mine just died.

(edited)
Ok i want to see if ive missed any good rpg's (though i doubt that i have). List your fav PC RPG's for me please, and dont list ones that you think are cool cause you've heard things, list only ones you have played.. Oh yeah and stick to somewhat modern games, dont list C=64 games.. :)

My Fav's:

Baldurs Gate series

Planescape Torment

Gothic2

Freedom Force

Neverwinter Nights

I could list about 10 more but ill stop.. Any lesser known games out there that rock??

What I'll do here is list the games I own, and how I feel about them. That way you'll know if your opinion and mine are similar...

Baldur's Gate 1, plus Tales of the Sword Coast (expansion): Very cool game that really did a nice job of using all the interesting character stories to help move the plot. Such characters were Xan (Oh, woe is me!), Jaheira and Khalid (in that order, since she was the man of the house), and Minsc (and Boo!).

Baldur's Gate 2 (and Throne of Baal): a fun one that I've not quite finished yet, so I don't know how it ends. They got rid of some of the characters (bye, wimpy Khalid!) from BG1, but the story has been pretty good. I've got to get back to it after I finish with the next one that I'm currently playing....

Sacred (and Underworld expansion): a Diablo 'clone' if you will, though the story is a bit better and while the dungeons aren't as immense as D1, you have a huge above-ground world to explore and a really nice skill system as well as a ton of unique items. I've enjoyed it.

Bard's Tale: Not spectacular, but decent.

Planescape: Torment... one of the best games, ever! Not just best RPGs, but best GAMES.

Arcanum: one that I started and then got kind of bored with. A friend who loves the whole tech idea in it has finished it, and just loved it, but it never grabbed me...

Diablo, Hellfire, Diablo 2 and expansion (forget name): these games re-started my love of RPGs, even though they're not technically such games. I started playing RPGs with the original Pool of Radiance, then played and completed each of the followups, but after that, I didn't play any for YEARS. Diablo was my first game that I played online with friends, and that's what really sold me on it. Well, that and the sound for Diablo was just NICE. Gameplay was pretty good, too, but the story seemed a bit weak.

Morrowind, Tribunal & Bloodmoon: MW and the two expansions are very good games, and gorgeous for the time, but I've never even finished MW. Perhaps it's the size of it? Maybe the difficulty of some sorts of combat for me? *shrugs* Anyway, it's another one I'll be getting going on again soon....

Icewind Dale, Trials of the Luremaster (if you can find it) and Heart of Winter: Gameplay very much like Baldur's Gate 1, but with this major difference: you control ALL of the characters, and not just the primary one. You create them, you equip them and you run them. I'm in the midst of Trials of the Luremaster right now, which is a short, free (I got it on a demo disc) expansion that Blizzard North came up with for it before they released Heart of Winter (or was it after?? *shrugs*). Overall, it's got fun but difficult gameplay and it reminds me a lot of the original 4 game Pool of Radiance series (which has a spot in my heart).

Icewind Dale 2: a game that I've barely played, since I want to finish all of the first one, first.

Fallout 1 & 2: two more classics that were a blast to play, to play through 4 or 5 times so that you can find all of the little inside jokes plastered all through the game. If you can find them, BUY THEM! They really are some of the greater RPGs of all time!

Fallout Tactics: a game in many ways similar to BG or IWD, in that it's third person style. It's a bit more tactical than those two series, however, and can really be entertaining.

Dungeon Siege 1 & 2: truly linear, and these are ones that you play through the single player game once or twice and then leave them alone. The game is fun enough while it lasts, but just, for me, has no staying power.

Demon Stone: a D&D Semi-RPG, in the way that Sacred and Diablo are both sort of RPGs. I've yet to really figure out if it's one I enjoy, simply like or truly dislike. I have very mixed feelings about it...

Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor - The gameplay in it is alright, but it's another one that hasn't grabbed me. I played the 4 game SSI D&D (this is OLD SCHOOL) games (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades and Pools of Darkness) series that this is supposed to be a much later followup to, and that was fun for the time...

That covers things for now. Hope it helps! I know I've missed several, and will probably add to the list sometime later....

Edited by aldan