Hitboxes

mHtt

(edited)

Was reading a thread over @ steam forums discussing hitboxes, here's where they lie when

running:dedust205238bt.jpg

walking: dedust205272yx.jpg

tip toeing: dedust205614if.jpg

and finally, standing still: dedust205589ll.jpg

I've never actually seen the hitboxes like this before. However, I did also come across this article in my reading, which explains:

Your position on your client, on the server, and on other players' clients is never in sync. This is because of the delay between you sending your position to the server, the server simulating a "frame" of the game and updating your position, the server sending out an update of your position to the other clients, and them receiving it. Couple this with the fact that on your client you are able to move smoothly (not just on sending updates) and you get one messy situation when it comes to working out where people are and whether shots that are fired should hit them.

I guess it's up to you to decide.

have fun!

Edited by mHtt

I don't think it's something that can be fixed, it's the nature of online gaming to a degree.

The one thing that may be there to account for that is the lag compensation, the program calculates of the postions, and who is seeing what, when, and which shots should connect. Perhaps that can be fine tuned, but with any amount of lag, which your gonna have over the net, it is impossible for you to have it perfect.

Well what you can do is set cl_interpolate 0, cl_interp 0, and cl_lagcomp_errorcheck 1 : your view of the enemy only updates as often as the server tick rate. With these settings the dude will be jumpy to you, but his hitboxes will be very close to his actual body view..still not perfect, but that is what the lagcomp_errorcheck helps with.

Alot of people think that lag is the reason hitboxes trail, however, these pics were on a closed server, with bots. Lag does not exist when the server, and client are the same processor.

either way, im glad you guys are interested in this discussion.

Know what I need? I need some sap to come with me sometime into our private server and play pigeon for me....seriously.

I'd like to shoot at a guy running across my view, and mess with shooting in front and aiming right at him, etc. Of course I'd trade off! (maybe) We'll record some demos and do a little research.

I wonder where the hitboxes are when you fly out of a chute in awp_l33tsk33t :blink2:

Know what I need?  I need some sap to come with me sometime into our private server and play pigeon for me....seriously.

I'd like to shoot at a guy running across my view, and mess with shooting in front and aiming right at him, etc.  Of course I'd trade off! (maybe)  We'll record some demos and do a little research.

I wonder where the hitboxes are when you fly out of a chute in awp_l33tsk33t  :blink2:

Shouldn't that experiment be conducted by a good shot? ^_^