Is this the best community out there?

*BiGBonES**

I've been banned from the GC servers since Easter, so I focus more on revision for exams. At first this didn't have much of an effect on the amount of time I played CS, but after a couple of weeks I started to get frustrated with the poor atmosphere in a standard CS server.

I tried out the UK equivelent of GC, a 40man server based in nottingham. You would have more than likely seen it when you rank the internet servers by the amount of players.

So, I'm happily fragging in this server, when I start noticing how poor the teamwork is, and how stacked the teams are. I carry on for a couple of maps, and see the teams remaining constantly stacked. Its hard to cope with when you have loads of players coming at you from different directions on inferno, so one round after retreating from a failed solo rush, I camp behind the fountain at T spawn. As the CTs come to check out spawn after wiping out the rest of my scattered team, I use my l33t abilities (well, sorta l33t), to kill about 8 of them so our team wins.

I'm kinda feeling pleased with myself, I've just made our team win their first round out of 9, but then I start recieving the messages from the dead people in the server. Basically, they are screaming their heads off at me, calling me a camping noob, and to go learn how to play. I start screwing back at them, telling them to come over to my team and teach me how to play, but ofcourse, no one does.

After a couple of days of this, facing the same thing over and over again, often facing other crude remarks because I use an AWP, I've started to get too frustrated to play CS. Although this is ment to be one of the 'better' UK servers, it still can't compare with the remarkable atmosphere set by the gamerscoalition team.

I don't know if I set my standards too high after playing so much on the GC servers, but I cant live with the diabolical atmosphere that I find in every other CS server. It totally ruins my game, and gets me more frustrated than when hackers are around.

So, why am I posting this you're all asking me?

I suppose, after not playing on the gc servers for a while, I have been able to grasp the beauty of the environment you guys have. Im willing to give up my ping to game in the gc servers, and to game with the fellow members of the community who I have come to admire.

So, heres to gc, the team of board members, the server administrators who work hard to maintain the quality environment , all the standard members, and to everyone else that plays on the server. You have all made gaming a much more pleasent and enjoyable experience than I could have possibly imagined.

I wont be coming to fragfest ohio, but I'll try and donate a little money to buy some people a couple of drinks (lemonade :D ) to say thanks.

I'll leave this post with some words that I have found relate a lot to online gaming:

Its not the game, its who you play it with.

I'll look forward to fragging on the servers when all my exams are over! And thanks once again for creating such a pleasent environment!

:boing::boing::boing::boing::boing::boing::boing::boing::boing::boing::boing::boing::boing:

Edited by *BiGBonES**

Those are kind words BiGBonES. Honestly, I'm not sure I would have continued to play online games if it were'nt for this community. I suppose this is a unique environment, and I hope our community continues to thrive for years to come.

Thanks man, its nice to hear that the hard work means something to people, thats why I do it, and im sure the same goes for the rest of us.

Oh yeah, I forgot I banned you :D Lemme know when you want back in.

KEEP STUDYING!!!!!!

Salud!

I wouldn't be still playing CS:S if I hadn't found GC too.

Thanks for the kind words. It's the people like you, good regs, and pubbers, who help make this server what it is...

Good luck with your exams!

Salud!

I wouldn't be still playing CS:S if I hadn't found GC too.

Thanks for the kind words.  It's the people like you, good regs, and pubbers, who help make this server what it is...

Good luck with your exams!

I agree. I had stopped playing CS years ago. I couldn't deal with the legions of 10 year olds that seemed to infect most of the servers. I'm not particularly good at the game, I just play because I enjoy it. I got sick of the AHAHAHAHA I PWN3D JOO attitudes on most of the servers.

I got HL2 because I'm a graphics junky and decided to give CS:S a try. Fortunately I found your servers pretty quickly. Fatty and a few others made me feel very welcome when I joined up. So I added the servers to my favorites list.

I'm now a happy new member. Thanks for all the hard work guys.

- andrew

I tried playing on another server one day, because I think all 3 servers were filled up, and I couldn't find one server that didn't force you to download those stupid admin plugins that can make all sorts of dumb sounds. It's very agrivating having to download unwanted junk before you can even play.

Thanks for keeping this place very professional. :D

Seems like we all have a lot in common: a desire to play on a clean server, have fun, with a high level of skill - but w/o the attitude that makes new or less skilled players want to leave.

In addition, we want to be in a community that values friendship, teamwork, and life outside the box.

I doubt there is a better community out there. I'm not about to start looking, either...

My life has taken some turns in the past few months and I've quit my job and moved to Indiana to be with my ailing mother and now I have no job and not much time. I haven't played on a .gc server in quite a while and I didn't recognize a lot of the names as I read through a few of the threads...

But I know a lot of the people that got things started here and there are some good folks. It's good to hear that you guys have grown a nice little slice of midwestern hospitality into a gaming community that tolerates Limeys & Cannucks. :hug:

Seriously, GG fellas.

Well put guys!!

I started playing on MMMM, and shortly thereafter it became GC, servers probably about 2 years ago. I finally joined the coalition this past winter.

This is by far the most fun community and servers I've found to play on. It seems like the membership is really growing right now too!

(edited)

Over the years, CoFR (Crusty old Fossil Rockers) has had a number of public, semi-private, and private CS servers. At the height of CS, those servers were an oasis, and the private servers, sheer bliss. Team play was the norm; all skill levels were welcome, with help provided to those who wanted it; corpse tagging, corpse shooting, and other in-your-face moves got you banned, as did accusations of cheating; players swapped with each other to balance teams; when one side was getting trounced, a pistol round was often organized to give them a chance to break the momentum; some players regularly toned down their firepower when winning; and, given that many of us are older and slower than most gamers, playing smart and shooting people in the back was always encouraged. And not only did we have Limeys and Cannucks, but Swedes and Aussies, too. :erm:

We were an oasis, and a big one, but we weren't the only one. There were several groups out there running servers for mature, cheat-free gaming. And there still are. Unfortunately, it appears that few made the transition to CS:S. Even CoFR, which has a few hundred members, has many more members playing 1.6 than Source--and that wasn't many, as most CoFRs have gravitated toward other games. (There's no accounting for taste.)

A few months ago, when I got back into CS (I had stopped playing when 1.6 came out), a fellow CoFR recommended GC's servers. I tried them and thought they were okay. It was mostly run-and-gun, corpse spraying and tagging were epidemic, and the winning team always seemed to have an extra player or three. However, admins were usually on, and they worked hard to keep everyone in line and pointed towards the goal, which is unusual.

I continued playing here, but I also wandered through other servers. Finding a semi-reasonable game has never been much of a problem for me, but invariably I'd bookmark a server only to find that the first night was the exception, not the rule. That was not the case with GC. Except for the occasional cheater-with-no-admin-on incident, the level of sportsmanship was usually about the same. I started to play here more and more, and naturally, as I started to recognize names and figure out who's who, it grew on me.

Then came that magical night; a Fatty night. (Is anyone surprised?) We had gotten stomped for several rounds when Fatty took control. In one round he turned a hoard of run-and-gun individual gamers into an organized team. We still took a beating, but I didn't mind, because that organization was what I had been missing. That is how team games are meant to be played. Once I found out that some of you agree, I became a regular.

It seems I only get to enjoy the organized-team thing a few times a week, but that's okay. It's great when it happens, but the rest of the time you guys still run good servers. I won't pretend the sportsmanship is what I'm accustomed to, but different strokes for different folks; yours are still some of the best servers out there. (And it's the only place I have ever been accused of cheating, which I consider a plus. :D) If I knew I'd still have a high-bandwidth connection after moving, I wouldn't hesitate to chip in my $50. Until then, many thanks for letting me ride on your coattails; the servers are appreciated.

It's not the game, its who you play it with.

Amen.

--[CoFR]Nimon

Edit: just to clarify, by "accusations of cheating" I mean publically accusing someone of cheating got the accuser banned.

Edited by Nimon

It is good when a respected player comes on and organises the teams, its the best part of CS.

My favourite team organiser to this day is Toka.gc

He typed as consol "Rush or you'll be banned for life", when the Ts were getting thrashed, and the whole team rushes. The teamwork was something stunning and the game was totally turned around. Rounds lasted no longer than 60 seconds as everyone was working together :D

I suppose, after not playing on the gc servers for a while, I have been able to grasp the beauty of the environment you guys have. Im willing to give up my ping to game in the gc servers, and to game with the fellow members of the community who I have come to admire.

<Duke starts thinking global...>