recently, and have been posting up looking for advice. Tom's hardware

guide just posted their benchmarks for summer 2005 AGP graphics cards

for those of you that are not PCI-E compatible. For those that are I'll link

the PCI-E charts as well.

AGP

PCI-E

Have fun!!!! :luxhello:

(edited)

I don't know, those numbers make me kinda sad. 1600x1200 doom3 is like 40fps at best (6800U) and 1600x1200 ridjohnson is like 29fps at best (6800U). I feel like it's time to wait for something better cause games only going to get better and it I don't think it's worth paying upwards of $500+ for a vid card that won't be the best in a year. I definitely don't think it's a good idea to get 2 of Ultras (shep, ur a sucker for that one <3). Now, if these cards were like $200 I'd prolly cop one.

I'm counting money.... :wavey:

Yeah, yeah I know there's gonna be a similar situation with newer and better vid cards next year, but I have my 9500pro which gets 'reasonable' frames for over 3 years (I'll swallow my pride and wait...)

edit: i think i know why it says ridjohnson up there :smillie_smilling:

Edited by Vovik

• 2 weeks later...
Guest firemanzero1
Guest firemanzero1
Guest firemanzero1
Guests

I work retail, so I have an ATI accomodation. I think I'm gonna spring for the Radeon X850XT Platinum Edition. I can get it for $269.....as opposed to $449 retail price. :D

Although, if I could find a mobo for my processor with PCI-E, I might go that route....I'll have to see how much moolah I have.

Fire..I have that same card!! In the test portion of CS, I get 230 fps. Very nice card. It has a nice fan also. You hear this thing spoooool up when you start your computer.

I work retail, so I have an ATI accomodation.  I think I'm gonna spring for the Radeon X850XT Platinum Edition.  I can get it for $269.....as opposed to $449 retail price.  :D

Although, if I could find a mobo for my processor with PCI-E, I might go that route....I'll have to see how much moolah I have.

Can you hook me up fire? I'm in the process of building a new computer and that is the card I want..

No need to feel bad, if what you got does the job why upgrade? I mean if you got dollar bills flowing out of yer jockeys then go for the newest tech as it surfaces, but as for me I buy when the software moves faster han my hardware.

As of yet nothing has pushed my 9600XT to it's limit. I can play Doom 3, Farcry, CS: S, UT2004 and all the older games on the top or near the top settings. I do dumb down the settings a bit for online play but that's because Centurytel ISP is lacking.

My next upgrade will be my RAM, then Video card. But there's no hurry because even the new BF2 was handled fine by my PC.

Guest firemanzero1
Guest firemanzero1
Guest firemanzero1
Guests

Yeah, I'm just doing this because I got some birthday money. And unfortunately it is only one card per year....so yeah, you'd all be waiting a while for new cards. Get a job in retail, and you can get these deals and much more.

I was debating of going all out on the card.....or invest in a nice motherboard with a PCI-E slot and a PCI-E card. Both routes work out to around the same cost with my discount right now. However, I've been still hearing of issues with the new PCI and that they are still working out the bugs.

Any thoughts???

(btw Shazz, I fell for your blonde joke in your signature.....yes, I'm a blond....LOL)

• 2 weeks later...
If you want to do an upgrde I would go with a new MB/CPU if you can. You'll then be in a position to have the latest stuff when it's released in September.

Funny you should mention the word "upgrade"...

I will be upgrading in the near future (going 64 XP). My current video card is an

XFX 6600GT (AGP), and I have been pretty happy with it. Since the new MB

is PCI-E, I need to get a new video card.

So, what should I look at? I have been thinking of staying with the 6600GT, but

they are only available with 128MB on the PCI-E interface. Should I look at

getting a pair and using SLI, or just go with a 6800GT with 256MB?

Ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks.