Gas has officially hit $3 here

Acid-Flux

Well, yes and no...Yes because Georgia, as my limited understanding from news reports goes, gets most of its gasoline from NO. Obviously, with it under nearly 20 feet of water in places, that puts a damper on things. No, because some gas stations in Georgia are still below $3/gallon. The problem is exaggerated and gas station owners are cashing in: Supply and demand.

Yes, Ish, there is a price gouging issue, and the governor is taking some steps towards curbing it (Didn't you already link that article, ish? Maybe it was another topic...). Whether that's a good idea or not, the jury's still out, but the gas sytem is redundant. This is a temporary problem caused by (1) the obvious long-term repercussions of the hurricane, and (2) everyone getting into every car they own to top off at the gas stations. People can only consume so much gas, and everyone's pretty much full now.

Just pulled this off of drudge's site.

capt.gagb10409010035.katrina_oil_gagb104.jpg

And it looks like some Airports are going to shut down due to the high cost of fuel.  That is not good news either.  I have a bad gut feeling about all of this.... can't say why.. just do.

http://www.airportbusiness.com/article/art...ction=1&id=3343

thats in new orleans.. all 3 states gas prices went huge after the hurricane

NuT- :smiling2::smiling2:

I picked up the moving truck yesterday. It's gonna be a fun week. :o

I feel for the individual, but big-picture-wise I'm glad to see the high prices. The only way to lessen our reliance on oil is for the market to pressure us to change. It has to happen eventually, so better for that to happen when we're not in the midst of another big economic crisis. Unfortunately, the high prices have to be sustained for years to have a significant effect.

If you look at the inflation-adjusted average price for gas over the last three decades, we're still no where near the price in the late 70s early 80s. Small comfort, huh? :)

The only way to lessen our reliance on oil is for the market to pressure us to change. It has to happen eventually, so better for that to happen when we're not in the midst of another big economic crisis.

Now that is the spirit. The only way to change the american way, is to hit us in the pocket.

The day of 9/11 gas prices started going up to $4 a gallon because of the terrorist incident starting in texas. It then slowly started going up each state throughout the day for a short time till it almost hit South Dakota. Then Peter Jennings got on the air and asked oil companys to be good "corporate citizens" and not gouge the american consumer in our time of crisis. The next day gas prices went back to normal. What a terrorist incident has to do with gas prices I dont know. But not taking anything away from the crisis in louisiana, what does a hurricane have to do with our fuel prices. Most of our crude is processed into gasoline in texas, Wyoming, California and alaska. Can someone educate me on this? :bang:

to give you a rough idea.

the gulf of mexico is 30% of our domestically produced oil, which translates roughly to 10% of our oil overall. the refining process is also huge in that area and many refineries were very damaged and have gone offline. many of the oilrigs that aren't damaged, and many are, dont know where the people who run them are and production is not slated to be back to normal for 10 weeks at the soonest. the mississippi is also a prime way that oil is transported from the major importation ports in New Orleans up north. Bascially, its a big deal.

to give you a rough idea.

the gulf of mexico is 30% of our domestically produced oil, which translates roughly to 10% of our oil overall. the refining process is also huge in that area and many refineries were very damaged and have gone offline. many of the oilrigs that aren't damaged, and many are, dont know where the people who run them are and production is not slated to be back to normal for 10 weeks at the soonest. the mississippi is also a prime way that oil is transported from the major importation ports in New Orleans up north. Bascially, its a big deal.

I wasnt aware of the damage in Mexico and all the oilrigs at sea and the people that run them. Thank you I stand educated. But we do have a huge reservoir of oil of our own. Maybe we should be using it? :D

bush has authorized the use of some of the 700 million barrels of crude oil, however the problem is that we still have to process that crude oil into gasoline, and with the damaged refineries, we are running a few men short of a full team if you know what i mean. even going full steam, we are behind. we have to rework and come up with the manpower in other parts of the country to import more, and we have to come up with a way to up our production level more than it is to make up for 10% oil lost every day.

another problem that stems from this is the massive amounts of lacking supplies we need to fix new orleans. the national guard is deployed over seas(i feel sorry for them, imagine how much they are hating it over there now, knowing where they really need to be and how much they want to help all their friends/loved ones), so is their supplies. Fema has canceled humanitarian efforts in new orleans from what i understand due to the choas. i've seen several reports of med-evac chopters not being able to land because of gun fire.

The hospitals are full and the dead are floating down the streets. Disease is spreading bad and we aren't getting the people we need in there and we dont have enough even if they were getting in there.

add to that the whole levvi situation...

its a mess. complete mess. most of my friends are from either new orleans or batton rouge, they dont know what to think.

Edited by ishmael

Gas Stations get around 3cents to the gallon. It's the oil companies; So I'd assume Bushes Oil companies, Venesuala, and the Mid East have something to do with it.

I sure as hell wish I lived closer to school. Although I only live 3 miles, but the bus doesn't come out here.