Fatty's New PC II

Fatty

To those of you that helped me create my current PC here, thank you much. That was back in September of 2003. She's seen 2 FragFests, and gone through a video and memory upgrade to her current setup:

CURRENT PC

EXTREME GAMER CASE COPPER

AMD ATHLON 3200+

GIGA BYTE GA-7VT600L SOCKET

2 x 512 MB DDR PC3200 400MHZ

80GB 7200RPM SAMSUNG HARD DR

ATI RADEON 9800XT

WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION

My secondary PC has died. When I sit down at my desk, I wiggle both mice, and each time I am sad. This current PC will then become my secondary machine, and it's time to have some fun!

I know many of you love shopping around, and some of you enjoy it more when it's not your money!

Here's a current list of parts that I'm looking at. Find better prices, give me feedback, whatever. Thanks in advance for your time!

PROPOSED PC

CSLINK3131 LINKWORLD 3131 BLACK OR BEIG 49.99

P4 LGA775 64 Bit Processor P4 3000 240.00

ASUS P5GD1 Socket T 775 Motherboard Intel 915 Chipset 120.00

2 x MEMDDR-512MB 512 MB DDR 130.00

SATA Drives

HDWD40GB 40GB WD HARD DRIVE 75.00

HDWD80GB 80GB WD HARD DRIVE 89.99

PCI-Express nVidia 6800GT 256Mb 315.00

Current total: 1019.98

Need to add:

-simple DVD drive

-sound card I'm pretty sure, NCC left it off I think. Dunno if that has onboard, and doubt I want to use onboard anyways. Thoughts?

I really wanted to stay away from 4 digits.....but dunno if that's gonna happen. Here's to good rakes at Christmas and my birthday!

GC Founder

Welp, splash out the specs of your way better system for under $1000 so it actually gives me something to look at. I noted above I want to stay at or under 1k.

As for sound, I've passed this SBLive card through like 4 PCs and it's always been fine. Wouldn't mind staying with the family.

Fatty, A lot of people have said the 6800 is not worth

it's money, especially for CSS. for an extra $40.00 you

can get X 850 XT PE

3DMARK05

keep in mind the top 3 in 3DMARK05 are SLI (dual cards)

Half life 2 benchmark

See where 6800GT is in comparison to X 850 XT PE? For a difference

in $40.00 you'll be much more satisfied & I only shopped at one place.

You might even be able to find it for a better price.

Just a small question:

can you run that program (hlsw i think the name is?) that shows the chat logs on one computer, whilst on the other computer play counter-strike and be able to look at the hlsw porgram to find out where the other team are rushing as you can see their team chat?

I've seen you admin without being in the actual game and everything seems live correct?

Therefore, in a clan match, could something similar happen and be classed as cheating if the team were to call out their rushes using team chat rather than voice communication?

tm*
(edited)

Fatty,

Instead of Spending $40 more to get a X850XT why not Spend $40 to buy a 7800GT !

as u can see the 7800GT owns and the Geforece 6/7 series also have Shader Model 3.0 which is required for next-gen games... and HDR on sm3.0 is way better aswell. As you can see the ATI X850XT in Crossfire (x2) cant even touch the 7800GT and the 7800GT is not even that far of the 7800GTX (in most games in only a 2/3fps difference)

Although you mite reconsider the pentium.. get a athlon 64 3500+ as a min and 4000+ as recommended or higher

Edited by tm*

Okay, I've built the spreadsheet.

Its and AMD socket 939 system that totals for $1046.49 this includes a DVD-RW and SB X-FI soundcard.

AMD 64 3500+ Socket 939 $201.00 LINK

Asus A8N-E $109.99 LINK

Patriot DDR400 512x2 $148.50 LINK

ATI X850PRO 256 MB (This can be upgraded later): $229.00 LINK

Western Dig 80GB SATA 7200 RMP Harddrive x2: $109.52 LINK

Raidmax ATX-909WBP Black Case /w 450W PSU: $69.99 LINK

NEC 16x DVD+R 8x DVD+RW Black: $39.99 LINK

Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic 7.1 PCI with EAX5.0: 119.00 LINK

Total Price $1046.49

Shipping Price: $36.77

Because your using a socket 939 you can upgrade to a dual core such as the 3800+ in the future and also upgrade vid cards to a 7800 or x1800 later as well. I liked the look of the case and its pretty affordable with the PSU added even though its sometimes a risk of a cheap PSU.

I'd do some more research to see if you ca get lower prices on the equipment before purchase, or just get the pieces a chunk at a time.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Brillow_Head

I'd def go buy 2 HD's and turn on RAID. I've been VERY happy with mine. I'm using RAID 0 but it is a bit faster as it will read from both drives. Writing take a bit longer cause of the 2 drives but I don't notice. Least if one drive goes out I just pop a new one in and I'm set.

I found the 120 gig WD SATA drives at CircuitCity. They were 99 bucks a piece and I got a $50 rebate. Course I was very lucky that day.

GC Founder
Just a small question:

can you run that program (hlsw i think the name is?) that shows the chat logs on one computer, whilst on the other computer play counter-strike and be able to look at the hlsw porgram to find out where the other team are rushing as you can see their team chat?

I've seen you admin without being in the actual game and everything seems live correct?

Therefore, in a clan match, could something similar happen and be classed as cheating if the team were to call out their rushes using team chat rather than voice communication?

I could

Yes

No

No serious clan that I know of types their strats. It's common knowledge that if desired, server admins can see all chat. Can't monitor the monitoring, so if you wanna be sure, don't type at all.

I've had 2 pcs set up for, oh, 4 years or so. It's the easiest way to admin. Have I used it to gain advantage while playing? I hope you're not asking me that.

brillow, my system kicks your systems butt.  :P

edit - btw guys how about a new thread.  fatty is long done with this one.

Yeah, I figured it wouldnt' be that great after 40 minutes of searching. I originally started it as a long term dream machine that I'd purchase about a 1-1.5 years from now. I'd price the higher end stuff and watch the prices come down to see if it would warrent the purchase.

At this point I'm probalby just going to get a bigger CPU and doulbe my Ram to 2 Gigs next year. My 6800GT OC should hold me over for another 2 years. Basically when the vid card cant keep up it would be time to spec a new system with PCI and socket 939...but I'm sure they'll have something better by then.

So yeah, I tunned the systme specs down to meet Fatty's specs. I'll check out your thread tho and see what kind of monster you suggested. :freak:

You were doing pretty good last FF Fatty, Has the game changed enough for you to upgrade? We can just play your HL deathmatch the whole time, it was fun hearing you yell "HE'S GOING UP THE WALL!"

Hmm how did your wife agree to $1000 for a hobby?? Thats a trick you need to 'Teach' me.. :)

You were doing pretty good last FF Fatty, Has the game changed enough for you to upgrade?  We can just play your HL deathmatch the whole time, it was fun hearing you yell "HE'S GOING UP THE WALL!"

Hmm how did your wife agree to $1000 for a hobby??  Thats a trick you need to 'Teach' me.. :)

Heh, I let a friend of mine get her hooked on SWG. That was all the "permission" I needed to build my new system. lol

Okay guys heres a setup:

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe $159 - $223 Link

I've got this motherboard and it seriously does kick donkey... best motherboard i've had so far. The only Concern is that the chipset fan needs to be changed. after a few months time it starts off by making a rattling sound and then starts to get worse until it just dies.

AMD64 3200+ S939 $152 - $185

Link

This Porcosser is more than it seems, I've got the 3000+ version and that owns anyway,

the reason i chose the 3200+ is because of it great overclocking ability, my 3000+ venice core did a 1.1ghz jump from 1.8ghz, yes that is 2.9ghz.

Leadtek Winfast PX6800GT TDH $283 - $300

Link

Im not choosing the 7800GT because of the bottlenecks you will get with the 3200+ the minimum requirements for a 7800GT is a 3500+. Whenever i go out to buy a Graphics Card, i always choose Leadtek as they i reckon always make the best design, especially for cooling, atm my card is only 31 degrees celcius.

Maxtor Diamond Plus 9 $50 - $100

Link

I recommend buyin 2 of these and puttin em on Raid

Kingston PC3200 1GB 400mhz $90 - $229

Link

I think 1GB is reaching as standered these days but if u only want it for cs, then 1gb will do

the rest is up to you

Tm

my only prob with that setup tm, is what is the use in spending all that extra money on an SLI motherboard, if your only buying 1 video card? I know your going to say for future upgrades, but given my experience, by the time you want to upgrade, you are not going to want to buy another one of the same video cards you are buying now....

I would also purchase the 6800GS because the benchmarks are comparable to the 6800GT and it is 100 dollars cheaper. with the amount of money saved between the vide card and motherboard. Buy another stick of memory for 2 gigs

:)

tm*
(edited)

yes i see ur problem nofx, i wasent suggesting that motherboard for SLI tbh, I chose that motherboard because it really stable if u wanted to overclock, i know there arent many voltage options like there are some in the Abit Fatality one but its more Stable.

Well if u guys didnt know since the forceware 80 drivers, you dont need the Sli connector and the graphics cards dont have to be exactly the same for SLI !!! !

Tm*

Edited by tm*

(edited)

a buddy of mine has the asus and my dfi is much better for stability and overclocking.

that hard drive is old school. i have 2 120gig versions in raid and i'm going to a 250gig dm10 as raid doesn't make a noticable performance difference.

i'm pretty sure you still need the sli connector on a 6800gt. i'm not sure if that's the case for the lower end cards still. i know for ati it's not. anyway, by the time you go to buy a second 6800gt it'll have to be used as they aren't being made anymore and you can't mix chipsets. mixing a 6800gs and a 6800gt was tried by a few people and it doesn't work. that's the drawback to sli.

bottlenecks??? lol there's no minimum requirements for a video card. plus you're talking about overclocking it anyway! bottlenecking is completely dependent on the game and there's no set rule about it. if that was the case then no one with an intel should be buying a 7800gt because the 3500+ is faster than every intel in every game.

oh and btw my 3200+ is only able to oc to 2.5ghz so i wouldn't be so sure about it going higher than your 3000+. that's an AWESOME overclock.

Edited by Cujo

btw guys fatty's old system is back and working again so you could be wasting your time giving all this advice :P

Fatty- I wasn't implying that you was using this to your advantage, I was mainly just asking if it was possible for clans to do this in a match. I don't think its necessary to read the other teams messages anyway... after so much cs you know the team is either going to go one way or the other so its kinda predicable anyway.

But I'll make sure my clan don't call out rushes in team chat anymore, although we mainly stick to teamspeak.