Fatty's New PC II

Fatty

a buddy of mine has the asus and my dfi is much better for stability and overclocking.

that hard drive is old school.  i have 2 120gig versions in raid and i'm going to a 250gig dm10 as raid doesn't make a noticable performance difference.

i'm pretty sure you still need the sli connector on a 6800gt.  i'm not sure if that's the case for the lower end cards still.  i know for ati it's not.  anyway, by the time you go to buy a second 6800gt it'll have to be used as they aren't being made anymore and you can't mix chipsets.  mixing a 6800gs and a 6800gt was tried by a few people and it doesn't work.  that's the drawback to sli.

bottlenecks???  lol there's no minimum requirements for a video card.  plus you're talking about overclocking it anyway!  bottlenecking is completely dependent on the game and there's no set rule about it.  if that was the case then no one with an intel should be buying a 7800gt because the 3500+ is faster than every intel in every game.

oh and btw my 3200+ is only able to oc to 2.5ghz so i wouldn't be so sure about it going higher than your 3000+.  that's an AWESOME overclock.

ya at first i tried the overclockin process and i got to 2.657ghz.. my processor would have gone further but the porblem was that my memory was way to overclocked aswell and that made my PC freeze. I then came across someone mentioning CPU ratio between cpu:mem.... well bascily i got a friend to do that for me as i was a complete newbie to that section... and i tried the overclock again i reached 2.9ghz. I do think the Stock coolers for the 64cpu's are way to ace now.. and at 2.6ghz my cpu temp was only 43degrees. and when i wore talkin about the graphics cards, u need the same chipset but not exactly the same... and if u have a look for some benchmarks the 6800GT was out performing the 7800GT with the same CPU and detail settings.. now that is for definite that the cpu is bottlenecking the gc

Tm*

I then came across someone mentioning CPU ratio between cpu:mem.... well bascily i got a friend to do that for me as i was a complete newbie to that section... and i tried the overclock again i reached 2.9gh

Tm*

I did this a few years back..... sure your processor is on a fast bus, but your bottlenecking when you access your memory. all I wanted to do was run a 1:1 ratio on a 250Mhz bus. I even got some PC4200 memory

Your Fatness,

I read this not long after you posted it and have been waiting to see what all people would suggest as a value system in a similar budget to what I would set. Unless you just HAVE to buy a topend system right now, you're going to get stuck in dual core dual GPU mass marketization.

Have you seen a trailer for PlayStation3 's Killzone? Google their E3 trailer. You aren't spending enough to buy the next round of games coming BEFORE summer without bascially rebuying a bunch of components to upgrade this machine.

In your position I would try to build a machine that you aren't going to sink another penny into, no upgrades and make it up in savings now. I was trying to put together a best of the last gen stuff and it isn't any cheaper than buying newer low-end but upgradeable components!

PCI-E is now cheaper/smarter than AGP and Socket 754 is bad value relative to 939.

DFI lanparty nf3 mobo socket 754

Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle core

2 x 1 GB PC3200 Corsair valueselect CAS 3

evga 6800GT AGP

Audigy 2 ZS oem

2 x ASUS DVD burners (yes dual burners, for redundancy)

1 x Western Digital Raptor SATA150 8mb cache 10kRPM 35 GB HDD

$952 plus whatever shipping

Add 100 more for a nice Antec case that includes a 4-500 watt PSU if you need that

Here is the newegg list:

http://www.jtkt.com/chief/mcc/list.pdf

Anyway, the moral to me is that it is a bad time to buy. A coupel of next gen things are getting ready to be popularly priced like faster dual core CPUs and faster cheaper SLI or dual core CPUs.

So upgrading is bad timing, but so is trying to build a value system with older tech. I'm waiting until spring.

Edited by Chief

ummm... you clearly haven't read the thread. in the third post i gave a link to a thread i made no more than 2 weeks ago. if you follow that link you'll see pretty much the best system you can buy for under $1000. feel free to post any criticisms there. it's definately a generation ahead of yours.

why in the world anyone would need two dvd burners is beyond me. unless you're doing some hardcore pirating...

why in the world anyone would need two dvd burners is beyond me.  unless you're doing some hardcore pirating...

Eh, I had the cd burner on my old comp die on me and had to get a new one. Plus the cost for a dvd player isn't much less than a burner. Always good to have 2 optical drives though even if only one is a burner.

ut2k4 in one, IL2 Sturmovik in the other, and steam on the hard drive. What else do you need? lol

edit cuz i can't spel. :/

Edited by Wolfsblood

you clearly haven't read the thread

why in the world anyone would need two dvd burners is beyond me.  unless you're doing some hardcore pirating...

I think that my rambling post might have been confusing or at least confused you. In Fat's original post he was talking about having a second PC around. I was trying to show that buying the older tier of things won't save any money which I thought was obvious because I also included a CPU that was slower than his current one. So sorry! :) It's probably a silly point anyway.

As for two burners, those drives are only a few more dollars than just getting a ROM. Eventually one of your drives is going to die or have problems. I like having two for the extra 10-20 bucks upfront.

meh. i just have a dvd drive in my main rig right now. and a dvd burner in my laptop for when i need to burn. most of my games mount in virtual drive anyway so my need for 2 rom drives is nill.

To those of you that helped me create my current PC here, thank you much.  That was back in September of 2003.  She's seen 2 FragFests, and gone through a video and memory upgrade to her current setup:

CURRENT PC

EXTREME GAMER CASE COPPER

AMD ATHLON 3200+

GIGA BYTE GA-7VT600L SOCKET

2 x 512 MB DDR PC3200 400MHZ

80GB 7200RPM SAMSUNG HARD DR

ATI RADEON 9800XT

WINDOWS XP HOME EDITION

My secondary PC has died.  When I sit down at my desk, I wiggle both mice, and each time I am sad.  This current PC will then become my secondary machine, and it's time to have some fun!

I know many of you love shopping around, and some of you enjoy it more when it's not your money!

Here's a current list of parts that I'm looking at.  Find better prices, give me feedback, whatever.  Thanks in advance for your time!

PROPOSED PC

CSLINK3131    LINKWORLD 3131 BLACK OR BEIG    49.99

P4 LGA775 64 Bit Processor P4 3000    240.00

ASUS P5GD1 Socket T 775  Motherboard Intel 915 Chipset  120.00           

2 x MEMDDR-512MB  512 MB DDR    130.00

SATA Drives

HDWD40GB      40GB WD HARD DRIVE  75.00

HDWD80GB      80GB WD HARD DRIVE  89.99

PCI-Express nVidia 6800GT 256Mb 315.00

Current total: 1019.98

Need to add:

-simple DVD drive

-sound card I'm pretty sure, NCC left it off I think.  Dunno if that has onboard, and doubt I want to use onboard anyways.  Thoughts?

I really wanted to stay away from 4 digits.....but dunno if that's gonna happen.  Here's to good rakes at Christmas and my birthday!

Lite-On makes great optical drives. Never failed me. As far as sound cards go the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS PCI 7.1 Channel Sound Card is a good price at about $50 bucks and does pretty much anything you want. :D