How did you find GC?

mookie

How did you first find GamersCoalition?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I jumped around on servers alot never really found anywhere to play. Then some dude I used to kill told me about here. Think the server was Tropolis, wasn't around for the other ones.

It was here I discovered I was really bad at CS and I thought everyone cheated.

It was cool cause no one cursed at me though or yelled at me for being bad. So I stayed.

Edited by CowboyFromHell

I suppose I would have to put "Referred by friend" even though I think that when he referred me was the first time we had met.

Anyway, there I am at my wife's work Christmas Party, and start talking to this guy about computers and gaming since I was about to build a new system. He proceedes to tell me about this website/forum thingy he was part of, and that they would get together for lan parties once a year.

Well, after building my system I finally remembered the website www.fragfestohio.com, I went there, and been here ever since.

Thanks Fatty. :)

First GC server I ever played on was Temeris, back when it was Scoutz-Knivez. Got kicked because I had no clue what I was doing, and kept accidently killing teammates from across the map.

• 2 weeks later...

I marked consider yourself a founding member, because it seemed closest. It was a fine day many years ago when GC was nothing but a possibility a few years down the road.

The place was Mmmm. I had this new thing called Counter Strike. I had being playing the Tactical Ops mod for Unreal Tournament and a friend mentioned CS. I got into it!

ANd I pubbed and pubbed and pubbed, before pubbing was even a term--literally. Then I came into Mmmm's server when the guys from Mmmm and DOH were still the same guild. A guy named Bob_lee was playing and someone didn't like his rules and said he was "lame" and he was like oh yeah? Slay slay slay slay slay spamming it over and over in console. It was hilarious because I had found a server were the admins were good enough to be challenging AND they kept a good environment by cleaning out the scum.

So I stayed. The Mmmm and DOH became separate and I knew a lot of the BlackOps guys that became DOH, and I applied after a while. Even though I have had my post count reset a couple of times during transitions from one server to the next. I have kept coming back.

While I am not a paying member of .gc, I have been around since not long after Mmmm first started operating. And a good regular to the servers and forums for about 4 or 5 years is almost the same as a founding member!

:Disappointed_anim: Poor Bob_Lee, I am sure he is proud of what you guys have done.

One night while chatting on AIM he threw out the question, "what if we made something bigger than Mmmm?"  A community where clans could call home but it would be a membership by individual.

I was tired of hearing that it was all about Mmmm....I wanted Mmmm to fall into the background (which it did very nicely over time) so that some of the animosity could fade away. On several occassions I "pleaded" with DOH and DLM to help me by somehow finding our way under one roof again. I didn't like seeing friends on 3 different servers when we should be hanging out together like we always had. Frankly, at the time of the split, there were probably enough active players between the 3 communities to make one happy family under one roof....heck, MTV probably would have filmed it for us as a reality show...it would have been one of the first ones!

I didn't want it to be about any one team, namely us. I wanted it to be about ALL of the people, both members and non-members, who made up the community. We had be trying to blend in links and banners for all the teams that we hosted on our servers, but there was still this underlying theme that it all belonged to us. We were the hub of the community...which was good and bad.

That (the blend) didn't happen, however. The vision for Mmmm that carried into GC was just a little to strict (at no insult to anyone) for many. Heck, at this point, there's probably only a small percentage active on these boards (like Chief, for example) that were even around for that.

The servers....oh...well, it did all start back with Mini and I pubbing....then Destroyer got involved and Delta came online (at least I think it was Delta originally) from Cleveland, where server #6 currently sits. This is way, way back.

That ended with some fireworks and we (basically myself and Destroyer) went seperate ways and some lines were drawn. People, some unwillingly, but necessarily, had to make their choice as to where they went.

Then we went to Mantis, I think. I think it was around this time that Bob_Lee created our first domain seperate from what Destroyer was hosting. It was m4cs.com

Then we migrated the machine called Mantis to Mini's work, and named it Tango. Some of you may know, and hopefully Mini won't mind me sharing...but he took the biggest hit for our community that I know of. While he was out on vacation one week, someone noticed the "non-standard" PC under his desk at work....oops. (moment of silence). Tango strangely had such an incredible connection that it was full through the day and the night. While we were asleep, Germans were playing on it. It was quite interesting.

From there I believe Tango II was briefly lived from Cleveland State (through some random aquantaince I made online).

Then perhaps back to Mantis through NCC in Canton....perhaps it was this time when Smoke aka Kakarot took over that box under the clan SAB and made it a ghetto (cause he worked there). Smoke was our first LANBAN.

This whole time we were Mmmm.

In August of 2002, we opened these forums. This was prior to Bob's passing. I can't remember why we moved, actually. mmmmcs.com was born.

Dirk was doing the website at this point, and was also hosting Platinum for us from Texas. Plat was hot for a while. At some point, however, another small group got fed up with "the man" holding them down, and pulled away.....which included Dirk. The server went with them.

I can't remember when we started renting...but I think our first rental, funded by just a few of us, was through GameDaemons. Given the quality of both hardware and network, traffic was instantaneous and constant. This was a major period of growth and interest in our servers because of the traffic.

Since GD, we've probably rented from 2 or 3 GSPs, I just haven't kept track.

The date on the index at mmmmcs.com (which forwards to gamerscoalition.com) is dated 2/28/2004, which might be a close estimation of the birth of gc. I would imagine there's some sort of posts or something in here.

For me, it's not about the game or the winning or my K:D (obviously). I used to lead the server in nade kills by at least double the number of the second guy....and I still claim that nobody can chuck a geo-nade like I can (although source really changed how they bounce in a big way, and I really never recovered from this tragedy).

For me, it's about the people and the friendships and the common values. This is where FragFestOhio comes into play.....you don't arrive with your [Tag] on your forehead...you come just as another guy and shake hands with your friends and have some fun.

As we've grown, I've always claimed that you can never have too much of a good thing. There's a lot of people still out there that haven't found us yet....who can't stand the ghetto atmosphere that comes with online gaming...but think that it's just the accepted norm. Well, I guess it IS the accepted norm. The problem is, it has to grow by chance, because the vast majority of people that find the value in GC don't leave....they don't go out an witness in the other servers (can you imagine? :erm: ) that "there's a better place, come, follow me, I'll show you..." We just tend to stay home where we like it.

It's a hobby gone wild.

Here's to you, reader, who makes GC what it is!

1. It was m4cs.com

2. mmmmcs.com was born.

3. For me, it's about the people and the friendships and the common values.  This is where FragFestOhio comes into play.....you don't arrive with your [Tag] on your forehead...you come just as another guy and shake hands with your friends and have some fun. 

1. Posts reset <_<

2. Posts reset :shrug03:

2b. gc.com... yep! reset :unsure:

3. Registered and paid twice, attended 0 due to my job in Chicago keeping me at work for the weekend and this summer I came home to take care of my mom who has cancer in her bones, liver, and brain. As soon as I have the money, I am registering and if I have to leave in June on my bicycle with no PC I am showing up and I am going to meet a lot of people that I've wanted to meet IRL for a lonnnng time. I just hope I can do it in time to get my seat by Gond and Batman!

EDIT: PS. I am wearing my black FragFest shirt that LongHair brought back and going undercover. Thanks, Don and everybody else for a few years of good times. I look forward to thanking ya'll in person. It's been too long with too many missed opportunities!

Edited by Chief

The first time I got round to playing on the servers I kept getting kicked.

I joined terrorists on office as it was my favourite team on the map (being a noob I couldn't handle being a CT back then) and somehow I found myself spawning as a CT. I thought this was some strange mistake, so I hit 'M' and joined T again. Then bam I was kicked :unsure:

Re-entered, joined Ts one more time, and got kicked again :unsure::unsure:

After a bad first impression I managed to get on the recrudescence of what ever it was called and didn't look back. I constantly tell people about gc when I'm out pubbing, a few have followed me back and enjoyed it.

got cs:s with hl2,went online when i got dsl,saw gc,and thought it was like a group of friends playing and found out it is a whole community.like the rules and standards,and the no cheating.started playing cs:s about 1 month or a little more ago,and can't stop. :zombie:

• 3 weeks later...