How did you find GC?

mookie

How did you first find GamersCoalition?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

GC Alumni
(edited)

EDIT: To be clear, the first option is meant to be that you happened to join the server as a player by chance, not that you accidentally sent Fatty your dues. :D :END EDIT

OK TerribleOne, I was waiting to see what you were about to post but I got impatient. Hopefully not this same poll. If so anyone feel free to delete this, or even better delete TerribleOne's :D.

Edited by mookie

GC Alumni
(edited)

I'll throw my story out there to start the ball rolling.

Last year (academic 2004-2005) I started playing CS:S having never played CS before (the practice level with the pop-up signs that shoot you was too hard). I played mainly on a server at WPI due to extremely low ping (shows on scoreboard usually < 10ms). Once summer hit, server shut down, so I was off to the pubs. Spent a few weeks pubbing, and one Saturday night I happened to join a server with a map I'd never heard of, thinking I'd try something different. Server name said "Scopeless" so I thought I might like that, since I'm not a big user of sniper rifles myself. Anyway what I found was about a dozen players going through a few maps that I'd never seen before, a lot of the time talking over the mic about various bugs to be found (hostages don't move here or there, an invisible bucket, this spawn is so small we can't move, etc.). All I remember was one map that was all inside with some very dark narrow halls, and another map with hostages and some large servers inside some rooms. Anyway to make a long story short I added it to my favorites for some reason, and over a little while started playing here a lot.

EDIT: I obviously took far too long to type this. Third reply to my own thread. Owned.

Edited by mookie

GC Alumni
don't delete mine  i put a lot of time in mine!!  well my choice really isn't up there  i just randomly found gc on the server list and found that i really like the server and then joined like 3 or four months later

I guess we don't have to worry about that. I was just worried that you also would make the poll BiGBonES was asking for.

I google'd it.

I was looking for a server with pshyco stats and prefably 2 servers, as I use to play cs on servers similar to gc, but with loads of hackers and foul mouthed people.

After ages of searching i finally came across GC and got a good bargain because not only did they have two servers with stats, they have loads of other good attributes that i need not mention again :boing:

I'm not entirely senile but I can't remember at all how I found the server...I do remember being addicted to custom map night in the beginning (still am) so maybe thats how I came to be here...or did I accidentally send $50 to dues@gamerscoalition.com...oh well, Fatty's got it now :biglaugha:

i remember i was searchin thru servers with a good ping and was playin dust 2 at the time...i joined the stock server...played a while....then i noticed the phrase "www.gamerscoalition.com" so then i died and went to check the site out...i realized there were more servers...added them all on to favs list and started playing...

also i think the first time i played i stole the happy face at the end of my name from Bigbones..

GC Alumni
(edited)

...All because of my friend.

Here's my story:

Back in CS 1.5, I was asked by my friend to go into the OLD CsLs server so we could get some 1v1 action there. After a while, that server stuck with me and I became a regular. After I joined CsLs, I was asked by several members (including Yomamma... thanks buddy), to join GC so I could get on the MCC roster. Never forgot this place and how it helped me little by little to get better at CS.

So, I guess you can say I was referred by a friend.

Edited by JackieChan

Wow. I've been on GC more than a year, now:

The first day of the CS:S BETA, there was no such thing as "good ping". I found a temporary Toronto server, where 12 people were getting 60ms or so.

Day 2, it didn't exist anymore, so I hopped around, looking for good people to play with, like the CS 1.3 days of yore.

By day 3, I had found GC, and I logged an awful lot of hours, considering it was just 24/7 de_dust for the demo. I remember Fatty and Shep both commenting at different times about my sad, sad ability to just do something for hours on end, over the following months.

Then I got caught up in Half-Life 2. A month or so later, I stumbled across the server again, accidentally. Favourites had already been erased again and again after updates. I realized that it was roughly the same group of people I had previously logged all of those hours with, and it's where I've been since...

...of course, then came scopeless... ...and my 14+ hour stint, without any disconnects.

(edited)

hm.. I can remember the first times I tried to play.. it was always on militia. I kept trying to join, but it was always full. It was one of the very few servers where the admins actually wanted a fair game. Platinum was prime back then, but did guys have a server before plat? I remeber the websites were www.m4cs.com, then www.mmmmcs.com and now this.

btw, i still type www.mmmmcs.com to get here

Edited by NOFX

I think there was one before plat, but I don't remember the name. Either that or there was an old plat, then we changed the name, and then a new plat maybe? Not sure.

I found Mmmm through a buddy of mine, Sacrificial Lamb, some of you will remember him. He joined a clan called S!d and then so did I and Plat was the main place they played. Can't remember what MCC it was but we played in it. Then S!d broke apart and we started DW, a short lived clan somewhat modeled after Mmmm but we could never really stack up. DW ended up full of youngens who didn't want to follow the rules and I didn't have the time or the patience to deal with it, so we disbanned. I was then asked to join Mmmm.

Over time I got to know fatty a bit better, offered to do the website work etc and Fatty and I formed more of a friendship than just gaming. One night while chatting on AIM he threw out the question, "what if we made something bigger than Mmmm?" A community where clans could call home but it would be a membership by individual. He and myself and who ever else he was bouncing ideas off of (most likely X, and Lunk, mini maybe etc) finally came up with Gamers Coalition and we were off. I have to say I'm rather proud of what we've become.

I greatful that so many people take enough ownership in their time with GC to consider themselves founders. Thanks for all the work you guys put into the community.

yes BB I agree, I remeber m4cs and some of the first MCC's. Th3Fall3N played in a few... mmmm was orginally just a clan that called its little tourny the MCC. The community here grew larger and larger. Turning it into Gamers Coalition was a very cool thing to do