Choosing a car

anonymo

What car, best overall  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok so there's all the cars I've been researching for the past 12 hours...by far the best value for coupes in the under $30,000 catagory (actually the mini cooper s is $33,000 but worth it all). Anyways...I really want the Mitsubishi Eclipse as it's right in the midrange pricewise, has by far the nicest look and gets some of the best reviews. I also really like the Charger, but it's pretty pricey and doesn't come in a coupe, at least not up here.

Now, back to reality...the 05 Sunfire has a half decent line to it, is pretty good on the gas, easy(er) to insure and is light(er) on the pocket.

I'm going to test drive all of these over the next week to get a better idea about them all so I should have narrowed down my choices by then.

I'm not paying rent currently so I figure I can take on a nice car (escape plan!) which is why I have all those cars up there. I'm also kind of iffy about "settling" with a car that I'm not entirely set on, cause I know that 9 months down the road I might hate it and regret not getting the one I want. I'm not opposed to getting a used car or a previous year's model though...

So...any horror stories? Any recommendations? Any donations? (please!)

oh yeah...all prices are in CDN

Here's my baby!

dsc00453noplate9on.jpg

dsc00454noplate5yg.jpg

dsc00455noplate6wi.jpg

dsc00458smaller3wi.jpg

I'll take more pics when I'm done cruising!

Edited by anonymo

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

none, I would buy a used car that is a couple of years old and looks practically new. Not paying rent is good, but when your talkin like 30,000 that is probably a 500-600 a month payment. Save that for a year and you will have 7,200. Save it for two years and you can buy a pretty nice ride for 14k cash. Monthly payment suck

none, I would buy a used car that is a couple of years old and looks practically new.  Not paying rent is good, but when your talkin like 30,000 that is probably a 500-600 a month payment.  Save that for a year and you will have 7,200.  Save it for two years and you can buy a pretty nice ride for 14k cash.  Monthly payment suck

Probably what I'm going to do in the end. However if I were to go with something around $30k I would most likely lease because I agree that $500 a month is way too much for me to fork over.

I'm not interested in a manual car at the moment. Manual only makes me less attentive to the road and causes me to speed everywhere. In 10 years when I can afford something deserving of a stick I'll get it, but for now I'm sticking with auto.

As for the Civic SI...the only models that the Honda Canada website say are available are the DX, DX-G, LX and EX...but I'll be sure to inquire about it when I'm at the dealership.

To admin who moved this poll:

This belongs in chit chat. It's a topic with personal interest. The polls in the poll forum are ageless and random. This has some discussion/motivation behind it. Please leave it in Chit Chat.

Anon asked that it be moved back, so here it is.

i said honda, however if a car like mine was up there i would have picked that instead. i have an '04 cavalier. the model is sporty and i love it. i get on average 30-36 mpg. now a days looks are startin to go out the window because of the price for fuel. you want somethin that is cheaper, not cheap, but there really isnt any reason now-a-days to pay so much for somethin that will only get you at most 20 mpg. i havent had any problems with my car, which is good for how i drive. i have 40,000 miles on my car now and it drives like it just left the lot. just make sure its worth it and you dont want to get something that is affordable but stresses your budget too much where you have to make all kinds of other sacrifices. get something comfortable for you and on your budget.

i was in the same situation u are anon. about 9 months ago i was shopping for a car under 30k for a graduation present. i looked at most of those cars you are looking at, but the 05 models of course. what i decided on was the acura tsx. its an amazing deal for the quality of car you're gettin. i drove it off the lot for 27500. what makes this car especially appealing is that it comes with 2 interior options: navigation system (+2000) and brushed metal/wood paneling. and the only other thing that was optional is the color of the car. EVERYTHING else is standard: leather seats, xm satellite, dual ac, duel power seats, duel heated seats, sunroof, wheel locks, the list goes on and on. acura doesnt spend alot of money on advertizing because they sink all their money into their cars and their customers. like, if you need any major maintaince, they will drive a loaner (free of charge) to your house and pick up the acura, and when it's done they will drive it back to you and pick up your loaner. anyway, i cant say enough about the car AND the company. its hard to find companies that really strive for quality and customer service like this anymore. and to boot its a nice fast car. and consumer reports and lots of other car mags give it a "best buy" tag. okay, ill stop talking now. :D

Edited by lazarus

Yeah a motorcycle would be tough in the snow. Speaking of snow, ever considered a Subaru or Saab or something like that that has AWD? I don't know what things are like up in Toronto but around New England there are Subarus everywhere.

Mo, I've got an '02 Sunfire with 205,000 Km on it ( that's about 127,000 miles for you 'mericans ) and I've never had any problems with it. I have a manual tranny because I found auto Sunfires kinda gutless.

Wanna buy it?  :D

Maybe...I'm serious too! What colour...it's pink isn't it!

Hahaha! Actually it's bleu, blanc et rouge with a big Habs crest on the hood :D