Choosing a car

anonymo

What car, best overall  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SOme nice choices there 'mo. But you forgot the trucks ;)

Hehe, just kidding.

Seriously though, since you're up in the northland I imagine that driving in ice/snow is a concern so I'd suggest going with Front wheel or all wheel drive. I had an 89 cougar awhile back and it was a great car for the summer. Winter was rough cause of the rear wheel drive though, and it didn't have a lot of power like these cars.

Either way, you'll like what you get. If I might suggest one thing, if you plan to do lots of trips (especially >1 hr ones) check out the cars towards the end of the day when you're ready to relax. This way you can see if you're comfortable sittin there.

No matter what though, you'll love the car you get! Oh and like Shep said, don't lease. You get no value out of it when your lease is up and you have to start from scratch on your next car. Not having anything to trade in can suck.

Ok so I haven't made it out for test drives yet, I really don't want to go alone and my go to buddy is busy helping one of his clients out...so more web research for me! It looks like I'm going to go with a used car, probably a sunfire but I'm digging up some Grand Am's and Grand Prix's for around the same price with the same mileage. I still plan on test driving all the cars in the poll (except the Grand National...I wish) but the more I consider the cost involved I realize that it would be much more intelligent of me to go with a cheaper and better on gas car and get the car I really want in a couple of years or so...I'll keep you all updated

If I were you I'd just get something real cheap ($3000 US area) that you can drive for a while. Then once you have the cash saved up, you can ditch it and get a better car. To me it doesn't seem sensible to buy a car planning monthly payments on the assumption that you won't have to pay rent.

GM > Bad  imo  i have a chevy  leaks oil........    my dad has a GMC  leaks oil......      i personally don't like chevys    but i also don't like fords to much and i work at ford  get that......

I never trust chevy, ford, or chrysler...never seen one that isn't falling apart or isn't constructed with shotty parts (mustang, corvette...flame me if you wish, I know what I know)

I'm kinda keen on the Pontiacs because even tho they're kinda plasticy on the inside, I've seen a lot of them that are still in decent condition, plus my dad has been buying these montanas since he's needed more space for work and he loves them, that and everytime I rent a car its either a grand am or a grand prix and I always enjoy driving them

I'm probably looking to bank 8-12k on a sunfire or grand am/prix with under 50k kilometers on it...I've been looking at the hondas and mitsubishis and they are both scarce and pricey, still going to check them all out at the dealership though

Vovik are you suggesting a BMW? You crazy guy...you wanna buy me one?

Hi all, been trollin for a week, first post :-)

I test drove a few cars about what you're looking for back in july before deciding to splurge on an '05 GTO. I drove a new '04 Civic SI, a G6, an Acura RSX s-type, an '04 50th anniversary Mustang, and an '05 Eclipse. Of those cars, the Acura was the best, i though, b/c it was racy, sleek and awesome. It also had a respectible price tag (22k USD, iirc). The Eclipse was awesome and had a real nice sound, but the styling was a little dated for me. Dunno about the new ones, tho. I woulda liked to drive an EVO or a subaru WRX (i think that's what it's called... the rally sports car) tpo see how AWD handled, but I fell in love with the GTO and it's engine.

Make sure u consider winter driving esp if you go with a RWD sports car. I am driving an old, big, Dodge diesel while my precious GTO sits in my bro's garage.

Edited by waterox

if you are looking at grand am's and grand prixs..... i suggest  a grand prix GTP    supercharged!!!  you will love it!!!

GM > Bad  imo  i have a chevy   leaks oil........     my dad has a GMC  leaks oil......       i personally don't like chevys    but i also don't like fords to much and i work at ford   get that......

I never trust chevy, ford, or chrysler...never seen one that isn't falling apart or isn't constructed with shotty parts (mustang, corvette...flame me if you wish, I know what I know)

My family's always bought chevy, GMC and cadilac.

Perhaps this would be a good time to mention my dad's truck. He's a farmer so you know truck gets used heavily. It's a 1994 Chevy Silverado Z-71 Extended cab with leather and whatnot. It currently has over 300,000 miles on it and is running great.

THe original Engine and Transmission lasted until 280,000 miles.

Now tell me chevy makes crap. It's how you treat the vehicles you own and how you take care of it.

Edited by Ice_Berge_00

The smartest money you can spend on a car is a used Honda Accord. For under 20 grand you get fully loaded, leather, moon roof, smooth V6:

2003 Honda Accord

For a slightly higher budget you can upgrade to an Acura. At just over 20 grand you get more horsepower, refinement, and ammenities:

2003 Acura TL Type S

High fuel economy, reliability, resale!

Edited by Chief

I ride in a shopping cart with the front half of the bottom cut out so I can run my legs along the ground. Gets me where I need to go. Brakes can be a little hard on the feet when going really fast down a hill though.

for the most part you both are right, however there are some differences in the mechanical make up of the cavalier.

They are built in the same plant...only the trim is different, depending on the options you choose.

I may or may not have bought an '04 Pontiac Sunfire, metallic silver with just under 44k km on her.

My dad has been going to this one dealership for years and years and years. So we go to check out what they have, after going around to many other dealerships and test driving everything else. Turns out they have an '04 Sunfire in the back (is a chevy dealership) that used to belong to the head salesman's gf and was only traded in on Thursday. We drove it around the block, seemed nice, rear windows were already deep tinted, me likey! You could even smell the guys gf's perfume still in the car, gonna have to smoke that out! The salesman, Kam, whom my dad has known for the last 15 years, was telling us that they haven't even cleaned the car yet...I was like "great, this car is perfect" but because I'm a realist, I tell myself to take it as an experience as my dad would never go for something like that so early on...my dad obviously saw the sticker price before I did because I was walking toward our car as Kam asked us if we'd like to go discuss payment options, and my dad said YES! I was like...well...you could all pretty much guess what I thought at that point...but my dad was right. The sticker price was $11,999, but here's a tip...deliberate...2 or 3 times at least...everytime we sat and looked at eachother (my father and I) Kam would leave for a sec, come back and knock something else off the price...until it was at $10,999 and we were like, OK...

Here's the catch...I don't have insurance...and we have only put down $2000 onto the car with the rest due at pick up...when I figure out my insurance we can go in, pay off the balance and pick up the car...if I can't get insurance (or find something better, but I doubt that) then I tell them and we get our $2000 back...win/win baby!

Anyways, tested out the cavalier first thing this morning...it was at a pontiac dealership (weird I know) and was an '03, with a sticker price of $12,999...the engine whinned like me playing with AWP's and I really dislike the trim of the cavalier, compared with the sunfire (it was broze colour too...ewww)...looked at the pursuit, it's nice as a coupe but just a little pricey coming to $20,000MSRP for a decent package.

Next we went to the Saturn dealership to look at the Ions. I gotta say, by far the nicest cars I've seen in their price range. They are a good $4000 cheaper than their Pursuit and Cobalt counterparts and imo look nicer. If you haven't seen the suicide doors on the Ion Quad Coupe you don't know what you're missing and the 202hp redline edition is hawt! ($30,000 tho... :( )

Second last stop was to the Honda dealership where we were swoped on us like a rabbit who just suddenly appeared on a completely camoflaugeless field...the salesman was nice still and I drove a new civic SI and a used Civic Ex...both never worth their price...I don't know how many people own a Honda but I found them to be very lurchy...like when I slowly press on the accelerator nothing happens, then go down a little more and the car suddenly lurches forward...it was oh so very subtle but drove me nuts...at first I thought that the used Civic just had a mechanical defect, but then I drove the new SI and it was the same kinda thing...I know why people buy Hondas, and that's because you can strip the civic, add aftermarket parts to the engine and get faster acceleration than a Ferrari...but they're just too much money for what you get imo

So it's probably going to be the 04 Pontiac Sunfire for me...my dad can get better financing than the 7% the dealership could offer so he's paying for it in cash (as much on his amex as possible tho...points :shrug03: ) and I'll have to start writing him cheques from now on...oh how the tides have turned...

Thanks for everyone's help! And a big up! to all those dads out there...you guys rock!

I don't know how many people own a Honda but I found them to be very lurchy...like when I slowly press on the accelerator nothing happens, then go down a little more and the car suddenly lurches forward...it was oh so very subtle but drove me nuts...

This is why you buy a manual. Every auto I've ever driven has felt like this to me.

My boy at school is graduating after this semester. He says he's aiming on getting 100K cause his friends are getting that much. He's a big BMW lover too, so I told him to buy me one after he gets his first paycheck.

My boy at school is graduating after this semester. He says he's aiming on getting 100K cause his friends are getting that much. He's a big BMW lover too, so I told him to buy me one after he gets his first paycheck.

Heh...one of my good buddies is a webmaster for all these websites (you can probably guess what type) and rakes in an easy six figures every year. He loves Audis but has no lisence...he kept telling me to get an A8 and I kept telling him to buy me one...he then told me "You're not a beautiful woman so no A8" and I told him "So get me the surgury too!"...I know you guys will probably find that strange but we laughed so hard!

Heh...one of my good buddies is a webmaster for all these websites (you can probably guess what type) and rakes in an easy six figures every year. He loves Audis but has no lisence...he kept telling me to get an A8 and I kept telling him to buy me one...he then told me "You're not a beautiful woman so no A8" and I told him "So get me the surgury too!"...I know you guys will probably find that strange but we laughed so hard!

You're sick. I'm gonna be imagining you having......beheehe :yuck: