Help - Can't delete a file...Trojan

Fatty

Aight, that housecall failed to clean a file so I broke down and installed McAfee (I don't care what your pref is, not the point here plz)

The file doesn't claim to be write-protected, but I can't delete it or quarantine it.

What's the dos command to delete something?

Any advice here? So far it's the only file, and it's obviously active because I can't delete it (assuming that windows won't allow something in memory to be deleted)

Help?

Easy solution: shut the machine down and put the hard drive in another machine (as a second disk). Use that machine to delete the file, since there's no chance it should be executing anything on the second hard disk.

You've gotten your fix solution. I would just like to add that you might want to download AVGFree. They keep their defs up to date better then most of the other virus scanners. And you stand a better chance of catching these things before they make it on your hd. :peace:

GC Founder

$70 2 year subscription later......

<bills lunk for being slow>

You know, that HouseCall thingy online found the virus as well, it just said it coudn't clean it....McAfee at least told me to check the write-proteciton etc....then Mini and you guys solved the problem.....

I probably could have saved the money but I kinda wanted something official...sorta like the need to wash my hands a billion times over the past weekend....which are now dry and cracked....and in pain...but that's another story.

GC Founder

arf...

It found a couple more...one went easily....however, none of the above worked for the 3rd...

Dunno why i coiuldn't get my HD going on this old pc...but anyways...

I finally started searching the registry and deleted everything that mentioned that file...

It's gone upon this reboot...now for another scan....

yes dos rox... when it comes to deleting malware. You know we should have a sticky for virus alerts.

There's this one i dunno if you guys heard about it it's new but old news to me.... it's called spyaxe... it's suppose to be a spyware remover but yeah it doesn't do that at all. If anyone ran to that and your computer is still umm somewhat alive I have to fix.... I don't really I left it at work. *sweat drop*

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
Aight, that housecall failed to clean a file so I broke down and installed McAfee (I don't care what your pref is, not the point here plz)

The file doesn't claim to be write-protected, but I can't delete it or quarantine it.

Any advice here?  So far it's the only file, and it's obviously active because I can't delete it (assuming that windows won't allow something in memory to be deleted)

Help?

Have you ever looked into learning Linux? I would not recomomend it for a desktop OS in its current state, but You may find a Knoppix live CD to be an invaluable tool in just these kind of situations. Think of it as a swiss army knife for computers. I can't count how many times I've saved my computer from complete disaster by booting into knoppix and copying my files over to another HD, or deleting suspect files that do not show up under explorer. In short, the Linux command line is far more powerful than DOS.

Any advice here?  So far it's the only file, and it's obviously active because I can't delete it (assuming that windows won't allow something in memory to be deleted)

Help?

Have you ever looked into learning Linux? I would not recomomend it for a desktop OS in its current state, but You may find a Knoppix live CD to be an invaluable tool in just these kind of situations. Think of it as a swiss army knife for computers. I can't count how many times I've saved my computer from complete disaster by booting into knoppix and copying my files over to another HD, or deleting suspect files that do not show up under explorer. In short, the Linux command line is far more powerful than DOS.

Maybe you should join me in my quest. Whenever someone has problems with Windows I tell them to switch.

EX: The REAL Solution.

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I do not recommend anyone who is not familiar with Hijackthis to use to be honest. Best thing to do is post the results here and you will be guided as to what to remove or not.

As for removing those stubborn files, there is a program called Killbox that

will do it no matter what. You can find it here and it is freeware.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Pocket_KillBox_d4709.html