Which is better

Magruter

Alright i'm trying to quit smoking, This will be my 4th day. I can't say without smoke, but i had a drag last night and it wasn't gratifing at all.. ..so i just held it for a while and then put it out. Something about grilling, a beer, and a smoke, just another habit to break. Well back on point, i've been eating alittle more since i quit, interm gaining weight. I just need some push here... I need to know i'm doing the better thing by quiting smoking. I've been working on loosing weight for a 6 months, (40lbs lost) by just eating better. Which brings me to my next question:

Would you rather have a single peice of exercise equipment or have a membership to a gym? I need to start working out to get into better shape and to also show myself why i'm quitting smoking. I know most of the people workout who look at this forum. What are your thoughts??

That question its entirely about your preferences.

I personally dont go to the gym because I think it involves more effort than staying at home. The majority of exercises the machines at the gym provide can be recreated at home. If you buy a set of weights for the use of your home, you can get really fit and healthy if you work out your muscles using them wieghts and doing some simple but effective heart exercises like running a few laps in the local park. The price of buying a set of weights for your home will probably amount to about 1 month of gym membership, so its a lot cheaper!

It was also save time and money get to and from a the gym (unless you live very close to one), which in my eyes is a benefit.

But the gym offers huge advantages aswell:

- The machines, along with the gym staff will ensure that you are carrying out the exercises correctly so you dont do any serious damage to yourself

- If everyone around you is working out hard it will encourage you to work out a bit harder. At home it can be hard to keep yourself going when it gets hard.

- If you pick a running machine behind a good looking girl you have something to stare at whilst your running, and you'll probably run for longer :D

- Gym complexes usually offer other faciliaties like sauna, steam and spa rooms, along with swimming pools and workout classses. These will give you more reasons to go down and get exercising.

So it depends what you prefer really. Why not go to a gym that offers a trial period or something, or go along with a friend and see if its for you or not?

I agree with BigBones, I just invested in some cheap cardio equipment for my home (already had some weights) and another thing I want to point out is that gyms usually have much higher quality equipment...unless you're willing to shell out literally thousands of dollars. However, that doesn't mean the equipment is bad, just that you might not have all the options and you might be replacing the equipment every couple of years which comes out of your pocket.

Of course, gym memberships are annual, and I have found that I can get some new equipment annually for what it would cost me to join a gym. Add in the time spent commuting to a gym (there's not a good one on my side of town) and the gas and you've got some hidden costs that you won't recoup. I find I have worked out far more regularly when I can just step into my garage and do it. Harder to make excuses.

Of course, depending on what your gym offers, BigBones has some compelling reasons to gym it. If we had a good gym around here with sauna facilities I'd seriously reconsider joining one. Furthermore, if one's kind of on your way home it eliminates some of the hidden costs I have.

It all depends on what you want out of your workout. I am a minimalist: I want to do the exercises, maybe go outside on occasion, get in get done get out. For me, the gym is too much overhead and I would rather try my hand at maintaining cardio equipment.

Whichever route you take, good luck with the exercise and the quitting smoking! We're here for ya!

I prefer the home system. I have a weight machine and have my playstation setup in front of it. When ever I play console games I work out before or after. I believe its better since I don't have to worry about people laughing at me and my nubness attempting to become better. More mental security IMO. yet that is my preference, not yours. really up to you.

Although I don't look like a hunk, I can do chin ups! 240 pounds.... pretty nice! Need cardio to rid myself of my extra bagage. Looking into types on machines at the moment. I wish I had my own swimming pool, that'd be great.

Regarding the quitting of smoking, GOOD JOB. The hardest part is attempting to quit. Even going a day or two is a HUGE step!! My Dad found that when quitting, gum is your best friend. Even more so if you find yourself eating more. I don't think he was using the nicatine gum (can't spell) but he was chewing gum alot. Plus he was very irratable.... giving your buds, family or gf/wife a fair warning would help alot. Plus thier support helps. Good luck Sir!

Edited by Chamberlain

Good point, maybe i'll get something mid grade and get into shape then if i need more.. ..I could always join a gym then. Mag is REALLY outta shape!! Oh and the wife and my mom is trying to quit to, we are getting together friday so it's going to be REAL interesting for my dad. :)

One more piece of advice, check weight ratings on equipment. Even some of the midgrade stuff is built cheaply, and it's nice to have "breathing room" if you're going to be using it frequently. Oh, and you might try calling around to gyms or see if there's a reseller in your area. When gyms get new equipment, they often sell off the old equipment at great prices (unless they are leasing, which seems to be a more popular business model recently). Some stores specialize in these resales, and you can often pick up high-quality stuff (iirc Precor is a nice piece of equipment) for as much as half off. That's big bank, and puts the high-end stuff in mid-range prices.

For me, I swim. The rec center is the place for that. Keep in mind a pool

is another option a gym/rec center membership can offer. If you want my

opinion, I would take up a martial art. Fantastic workouts & you learn

so much. I've done it. Really beats repetitive workouts anyday. A lot of

fun too. You will never bore from that. As for the smoking......

Wayfarer = 18 yrs smoker! After 5+ years of quiting then starting

back up then quiting etc. I really feel like I've got it under wraps!

There is no doubt, quitting smoking is one of the hardest things

anyone can do. After dinner - want a smoke, have a drink - want a smoke,

morning coffee - want a smoke etc,etc,etc. You feel almost like your losing

your best friend. Nasty, nasty habit! Good luck Mags!

<----5th piece of gum today. I don't have the need to smoke, but i'm real jittery. Like bub said, i might have to cut back on coffee. I think about it, then think about the money savings. And if i'm good i can buy a couple musky baits with money saved every week. Figure I was 5 packs a week and wife was 2 or 3, that 40 bucks a week on smokes... Big savings!!! I'm gonna check out 2nd wind, but they are little out of my price range we'll see.

smoking help - nicotrol gets me through. it's a small plastic "inhaler" (not really, but kind of). it's about the size of a cig, put it between your lips, and inhale/exhale like a smoke. it kills the nicotine withdrawl, and you fill the jitters and the fixation. if you think it's right for you, call your dr. and ask for a prescription.

gym vs. home equipment - i say gym without question. most home equipment turns into a storage device before you know it. you've got to maintain it, and i look for excuses to get out of my house. then again, the gym is about 5 minutes from my house, and i don't have to fight traffic getting there. i also only pay $30/mo for it. the eyecandy seals the deal.

How you doin with the smoking?

It's so easy to not go to the gym unless you have a partner (no, this has nothing to do with Duke, Mag) to help hold you accountable (basically someone that you'd have to let down if you didn't go). Investing in a piece of equipment will give you instant motivation, and you're sure to get a good start.

I agree with Fatty, but I would also keep an accountability buddy around because I've seen people buy fitness equipment, get a great start, then just "go gentle into that good night." Of course, for others it's like a steamroller effect, and the simple act of buying the machine is more than sufficient, but it seems to help some to have "someone to let down."

Now, the advantage to having the machine in your home is you don't need a buddy to go to the gym with, just someone you can tell whether or not you've been active on the machine: by phone, by chat, by e-mail, passing in the hall on the way to the water cooler / coffee pot, etc.

Quiting smoking is going well, broke down this weekend and had 3 while having a couple beers. But this week has been great! I went on couple 2 and half hour car rides without a smoke!! Which is huge progress. It also helps that the wife is quiting and she's all about jumping on the eliptical. So we should be able to motivate each other.

That's awsome news that your giving up the "cancer sticks" ... I bet it's hard, but when you put your mind on to it you can do anything. When you do it I bet you'll be glad you finally dropped it. I'm rooting fer ya!

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/...sp?sitearea=PED filling up in information will help ya feel better about it and can be motivating!

Take the $ that you would normally spend on cigarettes. after every week put the money into a safe or piggie bank.

At the end of the year... you'll really see how much $ you were spending on them, and you'll have $ to spend on something to reward yourself.

My dad's friend did this last year, he bought a nice plasma TV during one of those Super Bowl sales.

I stopped smoking when I left college, and picked it back up when I went back. A had been smoke free for about 4 years. There is something to say about habit here, and I think one of the most important things for you to do, is to try and find a way to not associate some activities with smoking. There isn't a way to do it, except to say you need the will. After all, when we think about smoking, it really is a stupid thing to do.

Would you rather have a single peice of exercise equipment or have a membership to a gym? I

I faced the same question about a year ago, and again this Jan. I went gym both tims. The reason being, I feel as though the gym has so much more for me; I have too much to do before I get bored, there are movies going; um.... and other nice looking things. Yeah..... :erm: Anyway, I didnt feel like having one piece of equipment at my home would be enough; you need cardio and strength training.

• 1 month later...

My wife and I just joind a gym and been going 4 nights a week. it was hard at first to go. but i freak out if i do not get there at 645 i feel like i cheating myself but then when i there i think about css lol joking i bought a bowflex a couple years back and used it for a month. it seems for me when your at home and try to work out you get sidtracked and cannot push yourself. and meeting new people at the gym is fun to. also the girls i try to look at is fun to without getting a knuckle in the back of the head as far as smoking i quit straight up after the 3 day buzz of not haveing one i was good but now it seems i get addicted to other things like work css and working out funny huh everyone has a vice JUST DO IT