Can't fix this!

T-25

Just for starters the problem is that I can't run CS:S at even close to 60fps even on low settings. :bang:

These are the some of my specs of my computer

GeForce 6800

Pentium 4 3.0 ghz processor with hyper threading

Foxconn Micro ATX motherboard.

I have talked with other people that all have like nvidia 5200's with like a 2.0 ghz cpu and still get decent fps on CS:S.

I get about 10-20 fps on maps like italy and dust2.

I get about 1-15 fps on Nuke and Miltia.I think that is because they have HDR.

I'd appreciate it if you could suggest a few things that I havent already tried.

It used to run better a month ago. :shrug03:

--Signature--

PEACE,LOVE & $$$$$

Also, how much RAM do you have? How many programs are you running in the background?

Run adaware http://dw.com.com/redir?pid=10399602&merid...4-10399602.html

then run spybot S&D http://www.spybot.com/en/mirrors/index.html

Then run Trend Micro's Housecall: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If these don't boost your fps, they will at least help your system to run faster and smoother. None put any spyware or adware on your system so no worries there. Plus all are free tools.

good luck

DON'T USE A CONFIG IF YOU'RE HAVING UNUSUALLY LOW FPS!!!!

it doesn't even make logical sense that this would help as a config is for giving you that extra bit of performance, not pulling you out of the depths.

plz post your complete system config along with in game gfx settings and any autoexec settings you run.

I had some same probs with this. What helped me is to just reformat. That or get driver cleaner pro and wipe all of your nvidia drivers off your comp and reinstall your new drivers. Make sure to do the CAB clean too (its in that program).

Edited by {GpL}TheGeek998

GC Alumni

Simple things first, when you're running the game, run the Windows Task Manager also and see what's using how much CPU time. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del, click Task Manager, and go to the processes tab. Nothing except HL2 and the System Idle Process should be using much clock time. Check to see how much memory some things are using. If you can't switch in and out of CS:S to look at it, run CS:S in a window by adding "-windowed" to the launch options.

Just looking at what's using a lot of clock time and what's using a lot of memory should give a clue as to where the problem is. It sounds like you're describing that the performance changed, and CS:S used to run better. That means that your machine is performing worse, or CS:S is for some reason demanding more, or something else is wasting your system resources somehow. If you've got a custom config file, delete it, that'll reset everything to defaults. It's possible something somehow got messed up in there.

Oh and check to see how much memory your system thinks it has, just go to My Computer | Properties.

Edited by mookie

My ram is this a BUFFALO Major 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 and my comp says I have 1 gig of memory.

The chipset drivers should be installed,but i'll check anyway.

I have checked my drivers to see if they are installed properly and they are.

I have run adaware and spybot,but not Trend Micro's Housecall,and I have nothing running in the backround except Steam.

I'm still gonna reinstall my video drivers

I am getting a bigger hardrive,maybe a 120 gig one.

What i will probably end up doing is just formating my old drive and move everything to my new one and see what happens.

I will try some of the other things you guys have suggested,but if that doesnt help I will just do the above.

THX for the help guys. :wavey:

My full system specs are below

Machine name: T2542

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: n/a

System Model: n/a

BIOS: n/a

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 1024MB RAM

Page File: 214MB used, 2248MB available

Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS

DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 (Omega 1.6693) (P)

Manufacturer: NVIDIA (Omega 1.6693) (P)

Chip type: GeForce 6800

DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0041&SUBSYS_A3433842&REV_A1

Display Memory: 128.0 MB

Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (85Hz)

Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor

I know this is a lot more info than needed but who cares! :shrug03:

--Signature--

PEACE,LOVE & $$$$$

If your running Omega drivers, first thing Id do is wipe that. Dont tweak and improve until the basics are covered. IF you get 90 fps with basic drivers, THEN see if you can get 3 more with a tweaked driver or if it drops, not vice versa.

And whats up with the N/a on the bios? Never saw that before.

Edited by Laz.e.rus

umm those aren't full system specs.

here's an example using my own system:

DFI NF4 ULTRA-D

A64 X2 3800+ Manchester @ 2.4GHz w/ 1.5v

2x512MB PC3700 OCZ EB @ 240HTT w/ 2.9v

ATI X1800XT PE VIVO (bios flashed to 700core, 800ram)

SATA1: Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB 16MB Cache

SM: Pioneer 16x Slot Load DVD

SoundBlaster X-Fi Platinum

Tt Armor Aluminum Tower

PCP&C 510W SLI

it doesn't have to be that detailed but hard drives and power supply are two important parts.

edit - oops. i just have a 150gig western digital raptor now instead of my 250gig maxtor.

Edited by Cujo

I bought mine from Best Buy. I modified it by adding a different motherboard, a better sound card, a 6800 graphics card, 1 gig of DDR400 ram, a 480 watt power supply, and a intel 3.0 P4 hyper threading cpu. The only things I kept was the moniter,the shell,and the hardrive.It was orignally a eMachine but there aren't any parts left of it but the ones I just mentioned. I will be getting a Sata 120 gig hd soon. :D I will post back when it arrives and I install it.

--Signature--

PEACE,LOVE & $$$$$

Edited by T-25

CRAP, my power supply just went dead :meanface::bang::angry: . Now I got to get a new one. I have already ordered a new one. This time it's a 500 watt one with some good reviews. I should be getting this one. This one is much higher quality then my previous one. My old one was only $20. It should arrive this Tuesday. My comp has messed up multiple times and I keep putting more & more money into it.

--Signature--

PEACE,LOVE & $$$$$

Edited by T-25

lol wow why do people like this pos aspires so much??? cancel that and get a real powersupply. antec or enermax.

don't believe the user reviews unless they actually know what they are talking about. i've used 3 aspire psus in the past and two died within 6 months and the third one is on life support in a seldom used original athlon system.

edit - lol wow i just looked at the specs. 17amps on the 3.3v rail??!?!?! 28 or 30 is a must. 5v is not all that important and the 12v isn't awful with the dual rails but the 400w enermax liberty has 18 or maybe even 20amps on each 12v.

sorry but that aspire really is garbage.

haha sorry but i have to add more. here's a great quote from a review.

"Pros: Quiet and effective fan!

Long cords & lots of plugs, especially useful in a giant full ATX case.

Cons: I'll have to wait for the power bill to see how painful a 500W will be to my pocketbook... "

does he not realize that a power supply only draws what's needed and not 500w all the time!!?!?? lots of plugs??? 6 is lots??? mine has 10 molex and 6 sata not to mention dual pcie.

anyway you get my drift. the reason the reviews are so good is because noobs buy them and review them not knowing the suck. they don't review them in 6 months when they're dead and they don't realize that when their system is crashing it's because they're psu is crap.

Edited by Cujo