CS_Militia

I thought this map was supposed to be taken out of the rotation? If so, when is this gonna happen? There's a plethora of reasons why this map isn't that great, and it seems like the server population dips each time the map comes up in the cycle. Admins have been manually skipping the map as well, so I can't really think of any good reason for it to stay on, besides the fact that it's a very PRETTY map.

Let's see...what's wrong with it?

It induces camping like no other. The games tend to drag on and on, and the pace is just generally slow. Granted, it's some what fun when the Ts start to rush, but that occurs very rarely and only after the CTs have lost for a while (overconfidence on the part of Ts). Once they lose a couple of games, Ts tend to go back to sitting and camping in the house or wherever.

Performance problems. I've mentioned this already, but I guess I'll just throw it in there again. My computer can handle the other maps without too much problem, with the FPS just drops like a stone on militia. It also takes the longest time for me to load.

T-sided map. I think this is a very T-sided map especially without scopes. Ts have the advantage of having the high ground and being able to easily bottleneck the underground passage by camping outside the shed. CTs have to have more skill (tactical skill, weapons handling) then Ts to win consistently in the no-scoped environment.

I think that about summarizes my feelings regarding this map...honestly though, is there anybody who enjoys playing militia? I've only heard people complain about it.

I like the map alot. I think the only thing that ruins it is when CTs are too cowardly to go into the garage to get the last two hosties (where the last 1-2 Ts are camping) I also don't find it to be one-sided, except when the Ts camp hard as you say - it requires coordination on CT part, rather than one running out one at a time while the other half of the team camps. I like this map in rotation. If it's going to be removed, don't try to replace it, there's already enough bad maps in the rotation.

While on the topic, I think the rotation needs to be changed - it's getting tiresome when I join, get to play for 5 minutes, then a bored admin starts playing customs (not that I can blame them.) The rotation we had awhile ago was awesome. It was something like:

Lost Temple

Dust2

Aztec

Office

Piranesi

Clan Mill Beta

italy

cobble

Alive metal should prolly go back in rotation too, we seem to be switching to that alot lately.

Also, I've noticed piranesi and office are at the bottom of the map cycle - when an admin changes the map, it resets afterward, meaning we rarely get to play them. All of the best maps should be at the top of the cycle, so that when this occurs, we get to at least play them again. /end rant

there are definite times of the day when this map should not be in rotation. I personally feel that during the night rotation it needs to be removed along with aztec for it hurts the server and isn't very fun. during the day varies for me on whether i personally want to play it for i only like it when i can easily rescue the hosties otherwise i hate this map, hehe.

I dont hate the map unless the T's camp in the garage, then it can get pretty boring if the CT's dont rush it hard. It does seem to drag out, but not nearly as bad as aztec. I would rather play miltia any day over aztec.

Also I agree with Saris, piranesi and office should be right under dust2, along with Losttemple!

Also I agree with Saris, piranesi and office should be right under dust2, along with Losttemple!

I second that motion. Rarely get to play office or lost temple due to rotation. As far as Militia goes, it can be won as a CT with a well organized team. But as others point out, it usually ends up being a campfest, or the CT's finally get hostages but time runs out before they can get back to rescue zone. I definately prefer it over aztec though. Another map that I would like to see changed is Russka or however you spell it. I just dont really enjoy this map much. Perhaps we can try another good custom for a bit? Should be plenty of quality maps to choose from.

Donate to my "becoming an admin" fund, and I promise to call a vote for a skip anytime that I am on. I would pay myself, but my wife was just in a car accident ($), our house was damaged by a big storm ($), and my tuitition is due soon ($).

Really, I kid. It isn't an admin fund, it is a beer fund. Oh... I feel so bad.

Donate to my "becoming an admin" fund, and I promise to call a vote for a skip anytime that I am on. I would pay myself, but my wife was just in a car accident ($), our house was damaged by a big storm ($), and my tuitition is due soon ($).

Lucky I don't have to deal with bills and the likes yet. Don't get your hopes up for donations for your fund. No one ever donated to my "Get Kru a faster connection" fund.

Lucky I don't have to deal with bills and the likes yet. Don't get your hopes up for donations for your fund. No one ever donated to my "Get Kru a faster connection" fund.

We should've, your lag hax were the best I ever saw. :bang:

We should've, your lag hax were the best I ever saw. :bang:

that reminds me of my hax of 900+ ping, boy those were some fun days

Edited by Demoner

I guess I may be one of the very few people who actually really likes this map.

I know what people say about the camping is to some degree true, but if CTs actually make an effort to get into the house and rescue the hosties it does speed it up a fair bit, too many times do they just run around outside not daring to enter the house until there's only 45 seconds left in the round.

I didn't read anything esle in this thread beyond the first few lines of the original post... so you'll have to excuse me if this has already been addressed.

Zhou, if you think that militia "induces camping" on the Scopeless server, you should try playing this map on a server that has scopes. Better (or worse) yet, play cs_militia on 1.6 (or before) on a server with scopes.

This map is BY FAR the worse map for camping with awps.

That said... gc is a scopeless server... and the redesign of militia has made it so that the CTs actually have an equal or better chance of winning than the Ts do. If you don't believe me... spend some time on the 1.6 version of the map. The CTs NEVER win... never = about 3% of the time.

The only disadvantage the CTs have is that the AI for the hosties is so horrible that it takes 1/3 of the round just to run back after you get all of them.

There are only a few "new" camping spots for this map (rafters, back of the shed, under the stairs outside, and 2 spots near the silos.) On the old version... it was all roofs, and all awps and it sucked (for CTs)

Source version is MILES ahead, and MILES more fair than before. All I can say is spend some time with the old version and you'll appreciate this one a lot more.

Another map that I would like to see changed is Russka or however you spell it. I just dont really enjoy this map much. Perhaps we can try another good custom for a bit? Should be plenty of quality maps to choose from.

I second...

accursed Russka

I guess I may be one of the very few people who actually really likes this map.

I know what people say about the camping is to some degree true, but if CTs actually make an effort to get into the house and rescue the hosties it does speed it up a fair bit, too many times do they just run around outside not daring to enter the house until there's only 45 seconds left in the round.

Precisely, and when that I happens, I tend to like this map very much - in fact, I find when I'm CT and rush really hard, I get so many Ts with their pants down. It's silly when the CTs sit outside, especially when they've long sinced cleared the 1-2 roofers and rushers.

When I do play militia, I generally am a ct and I try to rush in the front door and get all the hosties as quick as possible. If I do succeed in this, there are ususally teammates still outside the front door either still killing t's or doing other things, who then help me get the hosties back easily. However, personally when the t's camp the front door or the basement this task of going in the front door can be quite hard.

On another note, I have seen multiply times when cts have about 45 seconds left and there is one terrorist left who is camping in the back hostage room, yet the cts don't try to rescue those hosties because they are afraid and instead only rescue the hosties by the dining area. Now why when these cts know where the last terrorist is why don't the 3 or 4 cts rush in there and kill him?

Edited by Demoner

I think that to make it more fair, all the Ts should become beacons so that they learn not to camp, like a shock collar on a dog.

Nahh, that wouldn't help. If Ts are anything like the dogs I've encountered, they'll just get mad and bark at the collar. etc.

I don't mind the map. I don't choose one side over the other, I always auto regardless of the map. I lack the patience to camp, therefore I nearly always rush, regardless of alignment.

Geez, I even lack the patience to sum up what I'm trying to get across.

Enjoy.

I didn't read anything esle in this thread beyond the first few lines of the original post... so you'll have to excuse me if this has already been addressed.

Zhou, if you think that militia "induces camping" on the Scopeless server, you should try playing this map on a server that has scopes. Better (or worse) yet, play cs_militia on 1.6 (or before) on a server with scopes.

That said... gc is a scopeless server... and the redesign of militia has made it so that the CTs actually have an equal or better chance of winning than the Ts do. If you don't believe me... spend some time on the 1.6 version of the map. The CTs NEVER win... never = about 3% of the time.

The only disadvantage the CTs have is that the AI for the hosties is so horrible that it takes 1/3 of the round just to run back after you get all of them.

There are only a few "new" camping spots for this map (rafters, back of the shed, under the stairs outside, and 2 spots near the silos.) On the old version... it was all roofs, and all awps and it sucked (for CTs)

Source version is MILES ahead, and MILES more fair than before. All I can say is spend some time with the old version and you'll appreciate this one a lot more.

I've never played CS 1.6, I started with Source. I can also see your point about scopes inducing camping though, but even now I still think the Ts camp a whole lot. And good point about the hostages being way darn slow about following you, that problem's prevented a few wins.

militia is a camping map, but the cts can win

i've seen it before, all it takes is a couple of cts that smoke everything, a couple others to run in and kill all the rooftop/sewer t's, and the rest to grab hosties

but, i think the worst thing is the hosties

they hav the worst ai ever (as pointed out before) and they walk slowwwwww!!!!!!

TEH HOSTIES ARE SO DUMB!

in regards to the rotation, put clan_mill_beta back in!!! Its fun playin it in the afternoons!

I've never played CS 1.6, I started with Source. I can also see your point about scopes inducing camping though, but even now I still think the Ts camp a whole lot. And good point about the hostages being way darn slow about following you, that problem's prevented a few wins.

the bulk of the "issues" with maps come from people that "don't know their roots"... That really isn't a diss at all... there are many people that started out on Source.

The only problem is, all the maps that get released are "new" to you guys.. whereas those of us who started before Source are able to appreciate/critique the differences.

As I said, cs_militia is actually "fair" now... while maintaining the advantage that the Ts have (and rightfully so, being a hostie map)... If you get a moment... load up 1.6 (it's in STEAM too) and play cs_militia on a scope-enabled server. Then you'll see what I mean.