It tastes like burning

Acid-Flux

For all you fellow n3rds out there. here is a cool article about how the hottest temperature (on earth) was achieved. Well they dont know exactly how they did it, but it was done; even hotter than the center of our sun.

full article here

The next challenge would be to achieve Absolute Zero.

i think that will forever be impossible. there are too many things to make absolute zero not happen; i guess the best chance they would have is in space without the humidity, elevation, and tempature

Physics FTW!

Im a physics nut and I can assure you reaching absolute Zero is impossible for a unnerving number of reasons. Infact its so unnerving that if you wanted to really look into it you'd see your actualy up against not only physics but theory, philsophy, and quantum mechanics...

We have gottten close to reaching Zero, infact they found a 5th state of matter, Gas, Liquid, Solid, Plasma, and now, Bose-Einstein condensate, Its created near absolute zero. Heres a link to an article

To give you an idea of how theory plays in get this, to reach absolute zero there would be need to be no light, no sound, no movement, no energy of any kind, not even potential, so it would have to be in zero gravity also. (which doesnt exist since gravity expands out for infinity) The very act of mesuring the temperature of the substance gives energy so even if you reached absolute zero you couldent tell. Talk about the invisible boy who can only be invisible when no ones looking. SO you could get into the whole debate of does a tree make a sound when it falls if no one is there to hear it. Does the object reach absolute zero if no oneknows it reaches it? Then you break into the philosophy of existance being based on knowlege, and just gha. Theres alot.

I can asure you absolute zero will NEVER happen.

Physics FTW!

Im a physics nut and I can assure you reaching absolute Zero is impossible for a unnerving number of reasons. Infact its so unnerving that if you wanted to really look into it you'd see your actualy up against not only physics but theory, philsophy, and quantum mechanics...

mmmmm. Quantum Physics was a fun class (seriously, it was).

Much like what Kaanin was saying...Absolute zero doesn't exist...and nor will it, ever...the only time there could have been absolute zero, was before the big bang, when nothing existed (?) other wise forget about it, it's just a starting point, like 0, which also doesn't exist...the whole concept of 0 relies on its non-existence (try not to think about it)

About the article...I find the part where they discovered that it was putting out more energy than what was put in very intrieging...which (if they don't find some mystery source of energy to explain it) could mean a new energy source, depending of course on what this reaction leaves behind...and something tells me this Z machine pollutes almost as much as a Hummer on a hot day

When I read this I imagine Gordon looking over the shoulder of the scientists... "where is that extra energy coming from? AHHHHH! HEADCRABS!"

I actually got an interview with sandia lab when I graduated college. Didn't get it though. Maybe then I could have more answers for yall.

When I read this I imagine Gordon looking over the shoulder of the scientists... "where is that extra energy coming from? AHHHHH! HEADCRABS!"

I actually got an interview with sandia lab when I graduated college. Didn't get it though. Maybe then I could have more answers for yall.

that would be the SWEETEST job eva!!!

Other than the chance of being boiled alive if the magnitism field fails.....

This is actually one test in many for a proposed facility to produce antimatter. Cern, Los alamos, the Dept of Energy are trying to build a $70 billion dollar facility to produce and contain antimatter. Currently we only produce enuff of it annually to run a 100 watt light bulb for about 5 secs. The problem is that the extreme temps needed to produce it literally melt the reactor lining. So we have to use magnetic fields to contain it. Which is needed anyway because matter and antimatter annihilate each other on contact. Antimatter can create the most powerful explosive reaction that we know of. For those of you who dont know how powerfull antimatter is heres an example.

The hydrogen fuel tanks on the space shuttle contain about 520,000 gallons of liquid hydrogen and oxygen. Good for about a 6 to 8 minute burn to earth orbit. ONE GRAM of antimatter has the theoretical energy output equal to 23 of these tanks.

This proposed facility may produce a few grams of antimatter. hence the need for tests and research like this. The thing I would worry about is where will the facility be built and how big a boom will there be if there is containment failure. Hence the reason for these feilds that can withstand these temps. :Do0oantimatterExplosion.jpg

(edited)
The only place that I can think of that would be close to absolute zero would be intergalactic space. As far from any heat source we can get. Or maybe beyond the known universe into the void beyond its edges. :D

Gravity extends in all directions for infinity. To reach absolute zero there would have to be no matter in existance, Then again if you have no matter then the temperature is N/A not Zero, since theres nothing to mesure. If you only had the matter to be reaching zero in existance, each atom creates its own gravity, so all the atoms in that matter are pulling on eachother via gravity.

Anonymo hit it right on the head. Reaching zero would be the absence of matter, and then id be nothing anyhow. Zero in this instance is exatly what the name implies. Nothing.

About the article...I find the part where they discovered that it was putting out more energy than what was put in very intrieging...which (if they don't find some mystery source of energy to explain it) could mean a new energy source, depending of course on what this reaction leaves behind...and something tells me this Z machine pollutes almost as much as a Hummer on a hot day

As for this no, energy in = energy out, always, Getting more energy out then in would break more physics laws then reaching absolute zero lol. There is a source of energy, scientest just cant figure out what it is. I could see if you got more energy out then in, it could be a power source, but thats simply not the case, that energy is comming from some source. But as it stands its impractical at that, and if you tried to use it to generate power you would probably find that it would stop working in some timefram because wherever that extra energy is comming from would get used up.

Edited by Kaanin

As for this no, energy in = energy out, always, Getting more energy out then in would break more physics laws then reaching absolute zero lol. There is a source of energy, scientest just cant figure out what it is. I could see if you got more energy out then in, it could be a power source, but thats simply not the case, that energy is comming from some source. But as it stands its impractical at that, and if you tried to use it to generate power you would probably find that it would stop working in some timefram because wherever that extra energy is comming from would get used up.

Right, it would be a consumable or a fuel then. Energy in doesn't have to equal energy out if you are releasing energy that YOU didn't put there. Nature was kind enough to store some energy in atoms for us, so if we add 1 unit of energy and get 3 back, it's a bonus. Sounds a bit like fusion.

The article is pretty clear when explaining the process that the electricity "disolves" the tungsten in the creation of the plasma. That's your fuel--tungsten or the new heavier gauge steel aranged in a vertical array.

Is it impractical? Surprisingly, many power sources leading up to (heck, even in) the 21st century expend fuel. Many of them are practical despite depleting their fuel resources.