Power supply the cause of low fps?

Guest ash-

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

I've gone from an X300SE to a 6600GT and my fps still dips badly. Doesn't matter how terrible I make the game look, my fps always dips to 20s during heavy action. The game is still playable, even at max settings, 2xaa, 4xAF and 1280x1024 but I'd love to have a steady 60fps for competitiveness. It seems logical to me that my PSU cannot pump the neccesary power to my CPU/vid card during demanding gaming sessions. Any ideas? If I have to get a new PSU i'd have to gut my HP and dump it in a new case :D. I hate proprietary cases.

P4 3GHz 530 Prescott HT

1.5GB mixed G.skill + HP memory (i prefer more memory over lower latancies)

XFX 6600GT 256MB

300w OEM power supply

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
(edited)
what else are you running in there? what's the wattage?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00208497

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00255625

Excessive specifications @ HP. lol.

Power Supply

* AC input voltage (47-63Hz):

o 100-127V/8A

o 200-240V/4A

* DC output wattage: 300 Watts

I've got WinXP tweaked to the maximum. All junk programs/drivers disabled with autoruns, services.msc etc. 80MB memory usage on boot. Swap file is disabled as well.

300....yep. new psu time.

Actaully, Im kinda surprised it still powered on after you added that vid card.

I bought it knowing the GFX card required a minimum 300w PSU. I just did not have the money to get both a new graphics card and a PSU/case to "remodel" my PC. I do have alot of excessive features unplugged from my PSU though like the 5-6 different card readers that came with my PC.

EDIT: sorry i've not been very active lately. i've been very depressed.

Edited by ash-

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
sorry your depressed man.

U can grab an acceptable psu for $50. Better than that anyway.

Of course, you can spend $300 on one if you want too :)

Heres a cheapy thats recommended as a bang-for-the-buck PSU

by DFI.

http://www.shg.com.tw/front/bin/ptlist.phtml?Category=62768

Thank you guys. I was contemplating getting a creative x-fi xtrememusic sound card or transplating my HP with a new PSU. Looks like I will be forced to get the PSU.

sorry your depressed man.

U can grab an acceptable psu for $50. Better than that anyway.

Of course, you can spend $300 on one if you want too :)

Heres a cheapy thats recommended as a bang-for-the-buck PSU

by DFI.

http://www.shg.com.tw/front/bin/ptlist.phtml?Category=62768

Thank you guys. I was contemplating getting a creative x-fi xtrememusic sound card or transplating my HP with a new PSU. Looks like I will be forced to get the PSU.

Whatever you do. Do NOT buy a crappy modular power supply. If you are going to buy a modular (ie detachable cables) you better be spending somewhere around $100 for it. Are you sure that that case won't hold a normal atx power supply? I could have sworn I did a power supply upgrade on one of those machines.

P4 3GHz 530 Prescott HT

XFX 6600GT 256MB

300w OEM power supply

New PSU would be great but that's not gonna solve all the problems. First off get rid of some of your memory sticks because I doubt they run in dual channel (which means instead of 400Mhz they run at 200Mhz) not just higher latencies like you suggested. You need even number of same sticks to run stuff in dual channel. Check your speed and latency with CPU-Z program.

Also, that processor isn't that good. I have p4 2.8E and it's just slightly worse than yours. Id overclock it if I could to get that extra out of it. (too bad I can't oc mine no more because my cpu fan doesn't want to spin fast anymore, but it's old).

Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guest zerodamage
Guests

I've never heard of that PSU so I can not comment on it. At first glance it looks to be your power supply but I believe it may be something else.

You said you went from an ATi card to a new Nvidia card but I saw no reference to a fresh install. You should always do a fresh install if installing a new video card or at least run drivercleaner if you want to skip the xp install. www.drivercleaner.net

So uninstall all video drivers. reboot. Run drivercleaner to remove both ATI and nvidia video drivers. Reboot. Then reinstall Nvidia drivers.

Although your psu sucks, I doubt that is the problem in this case.

As for the linked PSU, looks nice but I've never heard of it.

agree with ZD, if you have had the machine for a while, with all kidns of programs and drivers installed, then you swap out your video card with no software re-install, then that could also be a problem. I realized this when upgrading from a Geforce4Mx to a 9500 pro about un...4 years ago.

agree with ZD, if you have had the machine for a while, with all kidns of programs and drivers installed, then you swap out your video card with no software re-install, then that could also be a problem. I realized this when upgrading from a Geforce4Mx to a 9500 pro about un...4 years ago.

In addition to NOFX and ZDs comments, you have an HP computer. As opposed to installing with the recovery partition that is on your computer you should download an OEM version of whatever operating system is on your computer, use BT if necessary. Install the operating system from the cd and type in the product key from your machine when prompted. Make sure you DO NOT erase your recovery partition though in case you run into any problems you will need it later. HP operating system are incredibly bloated with stupid games you will never play and most notoriously the evil BACKWEB program. Once you OEM install you will need to activate with microsoft and get drivers from HP's website but the machine will run better.

never heard of that psu and it looks crappy. the 12v rails are way too low even on the big one. stick with antec or enermax.

the easiest way to test an fps drop (if psu is not the problem) is to run fraps in the background for say 10 mins on the same map on the same server. use one high gfx setting and one low gfx setting. look at your min fps and then you'll know if it's vid card or cpu holding you back.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
I've never heard of that PSU so I can not comment on it. At first glance it looks to be your power supply but I believe it may be something else.

You said you went from an ATi card to a new Nvidia card but I saw no reference to a fresh install. You should always do a fresh install if installing a new video card or at least run drivercleaner if you want to skip the xp install. www.drivercleaner.net

So uninstall all video drivers. reboot. Run drivercleaner to remove both ATI and nvidia video drivers. Reboot. Then reinstall Nvidia drivers.

Although your psu sucks, I doubt that is the problem in this case.

As for the linked PSU, looks nice but I've never heard of it.

Yep, been there done that. I always run drivercleaner when I get a new card.

' date='Apr 14 2006, 10:50 AM' post='323183']

In addition to NOFX and ZDs comments, you have an HP computer. As opposed to installing with the recovery partition that is on your computer you should download an OEM version of whatever operating system is on your computer, use BT if necessary. Install the operating system from the cd and type in the product key from your machine when prompted. Make sure you DO NOT erase your recovery partition though in case you run into any problems you will need it later. HP operating system are incredibly bloated with stupid games you will never play and most notoriously the evil BACKWEB program. Once you OEM install you will need to activate with microsoft and get drivers from HP's website but the machine will run better.

Hmm, I never thought about that. Even though it is a grey area I still have a license for my WinXP (winxp MCE btw) so my key should work on any OEM version. But, couldn't Microsoft make special keys just for HP? I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to do something sneaky like that. Yeah, I know all about HP excess baggage, believe me, I run a very tight optimized copy of windows. You can't even tell I have an HP PC when you use it. Were it not for cleaning out my startup and services, I would have 300MB of my memory robbed at all times.

here's my services:

services5ji.jpg

Only what's necessary :)

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

P4 3GHz 530 Prescott HT

XFX 6600GT 256MB

300w OEM power supply

New PSU would be great but that's not gonna solve all the problems. First off get rid of some of your memory sticks because I doubt they run in dual channel (which means instead of 400Mhz they run at 200Mhz) not just higher latencies like you suggested. You need even number of same sticks to run stuff in dual channel. Check your speed and latency with CPU-Z program.

Also, that processor isn't that good. I have p4 2.8E and it's just slightly worse than yours. Id overclock it if I could to get that extra out of it. (too bad I can't oc mine no more because my cpu fan doesn't want to spin fast anymore, but it's old).

Well, at the moment I don't have the necessary money to get the same stick of 1GB g.skill that I have now. It would probably not make much of a difference anyway because as you said my processor isn't too good. Not only that but I've done some tests with my memory before and after the vid card, with just the g.skill, g.skill+hp oem memory, and I still get the same results. Processor bottleneck is just the worst case scenario for me. Those darn things are so expensive... :(

No, Microsoft does not have a seperate version for HP. At least not the way you are thinking. They license their software to HP to put on machines and HP does a real quick install that never asks for a serial number. You can install with the OEM cd and type in your product key as long as you get the right OEM software. You will also need to activate the software with Microsoft. If it doesn't activate over the internet and you need to call Microsoft you need to tell them that this is the first time you are activating this software and it is only installed on this machine. And yes, it does work. I have done it on hundreds of computers at work when people lose the restore cds. There have also been a number of more technical savvy consumers that have had OEM windows installed on their HP machines just to not have all the HP bloatware.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
' date='Apr 14 2006, 03:25 PM' post='323248']

No, Microsoft does not have a seperate version for HP. At least not the way you are thinking. They license their software to HP to put on machines and HP does a real quick install that never asks for a serial number. You can install with the OEM cd and type in your product key as long as you get the right OEM software. You will also need to activate the software with Microsoft. If it doesn't activate over the internet and you need to call Microsoft you need to tell them that this is the first time you are activating this software and it is only installed on this machine. And yes, it does work. I have done it on hundreds of computers at work when people lose the restore cds. There have also been a number of more technical savvy consumers that have had OEM windows installed on their HP machines just to not have all the HP bloatware.

With this being said, why won't Microsoft just allow oem customers to have a legit Windows CD? The good customers always have to suffer at the hands of the few determined pirates I guess. I remember about 10-15 years ago when you had to manually install Windows with any new PC. What a hassle it was but I never would have imagined how much of a hassle it would be to be without a real physical copy of windows. About 7 years ago was my first encounter with these lame "recovery partition" systems. Yep, I tried to install Linux and realized after the installation was complete that my copy of windows was gone forever. Needless to say I was stuck on Linux for a whole year until a friend of mine gave me a copy of winxp home. I ended up breaking the law just because Microsoft treated me as a criminal which is probably quite the contrary of what they were hoping to achieve by locking down customers with an HD only copy of windows.

Ok ok, I went way off topic here but I had to get that off my chest. I will not be formatting any time soon, but when the time comes I will have my ahem copy of winxp ready so that I can wipe this recovery partition and reclaim my lost 10GB of space. Thanks for the info.

FWIW, I never have a problem calling the manufacturers and demanding a WinXP reinstall CD. They give you guff for awhile, but the old volume license used to include provisions for media if necessary. I don't know if there are new volume licenses or not, but the one time I had a hard time I reminded them of their licensing agreement and had a disc in my hands within a week.

Of course, it would have been nice if they just sent it with the computer in the first place, not the least of the reasons being that they install so much crap OEM to try and sell you software upgrades it's ridiculous and the registry is bloated right out the box. *sigh*

FWIW, I never have a problem calling the manufacturers and demanding a WinXP reinstall CD. They give you guff for awhile, but the old volume license used to include provisions for media if necessary. I don't know if there are new volume licenses or not, but the one time I had a hard time I reminded them of their licensing agreement and had a disc in my hands within a week.

Of course, it would have been nice if they just sent it with the computer in the first place, not the least of the reasons being that they install so much crap OEM to try and sell you software upgrades it's ridiculous and the registry is bloated right out the box. *sigh*

Even if you call the manufacturer the disc you are going to get is going to have tons of bloatware on it. Newer HP laptops and most Dells are the only ones where the actual cd they give you is an OEM version of the operating system.

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests
(edited)

Yeah, what's it gonna hurt a big bad company like HP or Dell if they have to pay an extra 60 cents to include a real windows disc? even if it has to come with all the bloatware. I understand that having all the necessary information on your hard drive makes installations a breeze but it could also be compromised by malware meaning that a reinstallation will never get rid of it. Of course this leaves you in a pretty bad situation should you ever decide to repartition.

You also hit the nail right on the head about the software upgrade stuff. I felt downright insulted when I first booted up my computer and Norton told me that I needed to pay $20 a month to actually USE the program! They used to give you the REAL FUNCTIONAL software with every compuer and free updates. What's the deal now? Does the CEO need more time on the golf course? So I paid an extra $20-30 for my PC just to have this very useful let practically useless program installed? Was that the CEO's tip for the guy that mows his lawn? Of course it was a real pain to remove every trace of norton from my computer.

It's kind of ironic that norton seems to employ the same techniques as malware to stay on your system. What's even more sad is that Mcaffee and Norton are the basically the average computer users only defense against malware. They are doing nothing to stop the spread of malware. Microsoft should have included this functionality from the begining, not some useless DOS app called MSAV.

Edited by ash-

300....yep. new psu time.

Actaully, Im kinda surprised it still powered on after you added that vid card.

VERY!!....must be a god 300, but you need more POWER BABY!!

Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guest ash-
Guests

Sorry for the bump but my 6600GT is fried. I managed to come around a PC I had to fix that was equipped with a PCI-E slot so I tried my card out and it was the same result, Artifacts galore. Ordered an X-Fi xtrememusic, RMA'd the junk 6600gt and all is well in the world. Sorry Preacher!